First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mistymountainhop

Nov 17, 2005, 7:09 AM
Post #1 of 35 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Is Scientology really that wacked out??
Report this Post
Can't Post

IS it true? Word is that they believe something about aliens contributed to all of the negative energy humans experience? This new religion has been making the spotlight alot recently, but like many others i never hear anything about its Zany origions.

Or am i just that mis/uninformed?

thorne
Deleted

Nov 17, 2005, 7:19 AM
Post #2 of 35 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's an interesting read on how they handle dissent.
http://www.lermanet2.com/...s/latimes/lat-6a.htm

dingus

Nov 17, 2005, 7:25 AM
Post #3 of 35 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do yall care what scientologists believe? You don't for a minute think your mythology is BETTER THAN THAT, do you?

DMT

Partner angry

Nov 17, 2005, 8:13 AM
Post #4 of 35 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus

People care (or at least I care) because it helps us understand others. It's not about who has the most believable mythology (I really like that term btw), it's just about what they are about.

If I'm going to dis a religion, I want to understand it first. Even if I don't dis a religion, I'm no worse off for trying to understand it.

Partner j_ung

Nov 17, 2005, 8:14 AM
Post #5 of 35 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why do yall care what scientologists believe? You don't for a minute think your mythology is BETTER THAN THAT, do you?

DMT

Trophy, if I could hand it out here in Community. To an atheist or agnostic, it all sounds pretty fishy. On the one hand, we have, "Aliens responsible for all negative energy." And on the other, we have, "Supreme being throws you into the fire for all eternity if you refuse to love him." Not much of a choice, is it? It's enough to make a man turn to Bhudda or Krishna or whomever.

iltripp

Nov 17, 2005, 8:15 AM
Post #6 of 35 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

DMT

Trophy, if I could hand it out here in Community. To an atheist or agnostic, it all sounds pretty fishy. On the one hand, we have, "Aliens responsible for all negative energy." And on the other, we have, "Supreme being throws you into the fire for all eternity if you refuse to love him." Not much of a choice, is it? It's enough to make a man turn to Bhudda or Krishna or whomever.

Or nowhere at all... my preference.

mistymountainhop

Nov 17, 2005, 8:47 AM
Post #7 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

DMT

I do know i am right and they are wrong. Because i have solid proof that my religion is superior and right, i have a right to look down upon anything i deem less. My religion gives proof of creationism, therefore every scientist or naysayer is wrong. Its as simple as that.

GeorgeW and Pat Robertson are national heros!

mistymountainhop

Nov 17, 2005, 8:54 AM
Post #8 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's an interesting read on how they handle dissent.
http://www.lermanet2.com/...s/latimes/lat-6a.htm

Wow, thats intense. I guess south park last night didnt overexadurate.
Lunatics+money+lawyers+tom cruise= Disaster

Partner wideguy

Nov 17, 2005, 8:59 AM
Post #9 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My religion gives proof of evolution,...
GeorgeW and Pat Robertson are national heros!

ummm wanna re-state that perhaps? Last I checked PR and Dubya were bible thumpers, staunch defenders of creationism 8^)

What I did love was hearing a scientologist tell a Jewish friend that Judaism was a "Nice bedtime story but it [wasn't] a religion."

Whether I agree with it or practice it or not I at least acknowledge that Hindu and Shinto and Judaism etc ARE all religions. But not to them, to them the only actual religion in the world is a whole whopping 40 years old!!!

( personally I still think it was a bar bet. "I bet you $10,000 I can create my own religion," said L Ron, sipping his 5th martini,"And I'll bet you another MILLION I can get some really rich people to pledge me 1/3 of their income every year!")

robbovius

Nov 17, 2005, 9:09 AM
Post #10 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...overexadurate...

I'll be lauighing about this all day... ;-)

thorne
Deleted

Nov 17, 2005, 9:13 AM
Post #11 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No "exaduration" here...
In reply to:
When Scientology takes the offensive, L. Ron Hubbard's writings provide the inspiration. Here is a sampling of what Hubbard wrote:

"The purpose of the (lawsuit) is to harass and discourage rather than win."

"If attacked on some vulnerable point by anyone or anything or any organization, always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace.... Don't ever defend. Always attack."

"We do not want Scientology to be reported in the press, anywhere else than on the religious pages of newspapers.... Therefore, we should be very alert to sue for slander at the slightest chance so as to discourage the public presses from mentioning Scientology."

"NEVER agree to an investigation of Scientology. Only agree to an investigation of the attackers.... Start feeding lurid, blood, sex crime, actual evidence on the attack to the press. Don't ever tamely submit to an investigation of us. Make it rough, rough on attackers all the way."

Obedience to these rules is not discretionary. They are scripture

Partner wideguy

Nov 17, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #12 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...overexadurate...

lauighing all day, eh? :wink:

robbovius

Nov 17, 2005, 9:25 AM
Post #13 of 35 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
...overexadurate...

lauighing all day, eh? :wink:
....GA HAHA haha har har *sniff cough8 HAW hahahahah!!!!! etc etc...

check out this Scientology expose site:

http://www.xenu.net/

did everybody catch the South Park scientology episode last night? Matt and Trey pretty much bald-facedly DARED the scientologists to sue them.

arrettinator

Nov 17, 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #14 of 35 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Turn down the suck. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One year ago today:
Fallout from Southpark .or. Start of the Million Year War.

Nothin up my sleeve.

blondgecko

Nov 17, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #15 of 35 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arrettinator] Turn down the suck. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The unfunny truth about Scientology".

WARNING: May cause side effects such as retching, gagging, and an uncontrollable urge to throttle the living sh*t out of the brainwashed morons.

zmehl

Nov 17, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #16 of 35 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Turn down the suck. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.

vivalargo

Nov 19, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #17 of 35 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iltripp] Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[reply][quote][quote]Why do yall care what scientologists believe? You don't for a minute think your mythology is BETTER THAN THAT, do you?

DMT[/quote]

Trophy, if I could hand it out here in Community. To an atheist or agnostic, it [i]all [/i]sounds pretty fishy. On the one hand, we have, "Aliens responsible for all negative energy." And on the other, we have, "Supreme being throws you into the fire for all eternity if you refuse to love him." Not much of a choice, is it? It's enough to make a man turn to Bhudda or Krishna or whomever.[/quote]

Or nowhere at all... my preference.[/reply]

If you really and truly get to "nowhere," kindly tell us about it.

JL

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 19, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #18 of 35 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vivalargo] Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Had to research it first, so I spent over an hour reading through this on wikipedia, and following several links, even to their own stuff, to make sure I got a balanced overview...

I'd have to say that its pretty fantastic, as in fantasy... Galactic conspiracies, Xenu's aliens on Earth trillions of years ago and the ships and extra aliens blown up with hydrogen bombs, thetans, etc... Pretty fantastic.

Kind like reading the Simerilian, that basically spells out the history of JRR Tolkien's world of the Hobbit & Lord of the Rings trilogies, yet nowhere near as believable as Tolkien's work is.

And to think the "Tom-Cat" believes all that stuff.

They do have a cool ass building in Hollywood that would be perfect to like play a real life version of Clue in.... Ya know, Col. Musturd did it in the study with the candlestick.Wink

wjca

Nov 20, 2006, 8:49 AM
Post #19 of 35 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Had to research it first, so I spent over an hour reading through this on wikipedia, and following several links, even to their own stuff, to make sure I got a balanced overview...

I'd have to say that its pretty fantastic, as in fantasy... Galactic conspiracies, Xenu's aliens on Earth trillions of years ago and the ships and extra aliens blown up with hydrogen bombs, thetans, etc... Pretty fantastic.

Kind like reading the Simerilian, that basically spells out the history of JRR Tolkien's world of the Hobbit & Lord of the Rings trilogies, yet nowhere near as believable as Tolkien's work is.

They do have a cool ass building in Hollywood that would be perfect to like play a real life version of Clue in.... Ya know, Col. Musturd did it in the study with the candlestick.Wink

Scientology is the result of a science fiction writer looking for a tax shelter. Nothing more.

Now, the new up and coming religion of the Jedi, thats a different story. Jedi is an actual religion.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/...eligious-rights.html

petsfed

Nov 20, 2006, 4:11 PM
Post #20 of 35 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Scientology is the result of a science fiction writer looking for a tax shelter. Nothing more.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. -- L. Ron Hubbard, science fiction writer and founder of Scientology

Partner epoch

Nov 21, 2006, 6:07 AM
Post #21 of 35 (1293 views)
Shortcut

No, You're wrong... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When it comes down to it, we're all going to Hell or some form of it.

Each "religion" believes that if you do not believe in thier faith, you'll be damned eternally to hell. So if i believe in one thing and it is wrong in the eyes of another religion, doesn't that mean that ultimately I'll be damned? Who is to say that thier belief is correct? How is it proven? To me, the philosiphy behind all the nonsense is a moot point.

coloredchalker

Nov 21, 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #22 of 35 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Now, the new up and coming religion of the Jedi, thats a different story. Jedi is an actual religion.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/...eligious-rights.html

Your closer to the truth than you know, according to L. Rons own words. In a 1976 Time article he's quoted as saying "writting for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man wanted to make a million dollars the best way would be to start his own religion" (Time, April 5 1975, 57).
Then he proceeded to start the self proclaimed "...most vital movement on earth today" (The Aimes of SCientology, 1974).

wjca

Nov 21, 2006, 7:24 AM
Post #23 of 35 (1287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coloredchalker] Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not closer to the truth, that is the truth. He was looking for a way to sell his books and shield the profits from income tax, plain and simple. Petsfed is correct in that you can sell more books if it is the corner stone book of a religion. Do you think the bible would be the best selling book in the world if Christianity didn't exist? No, it wouldn't.

By the way, did you also know that the Bible is also the most stolen book in the world? Good Christians stealing those bibles in hotel rooms left by the Gideons (whoever they are). Its good to know that the walls of a room at the Days Inn is a sheild from the 10 Commandments. I think that when a married man takes a hooker to a hotel room, its not officially committing adultry.

Partner tradman

Nov 21, 2006, 7:53 AM
Post #24 of 35 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
By the way, did you also know that the Bible is also the most stolen book in the world? Good Christians stealing those bibles in hotel rooms left by the Gideons (whoever they are). Its good to know that the walls of a room at the Days Inn is a sheild from the 10 Commandments.

Laugh

Nice. But you can't steal something that's being given away for free,

arrettinator

Nov 21, 2006, 8:18 AM
Post #25 of 35 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradman] Is Scientology really that wacked out?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
This is the best thread resurrection I've had ever. Pirate

(This post was edited by arrettinator on Nov 21, 2006, 8:19 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook