RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

musicman1586

Nov 22, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Wow, I feel dumb
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heh, I've seen plenty of posts of people saying things such as "I only climb in gyms for training" and all sorts of gym=bad stuff on here before, and I never really understood why. Just recently I figured out my problem. Most gyms, I guess, are just a flat surface for their walls, and thousands of holds thrown up everywhere. The only gym I'd climbed in before then is an Entreprises "real rock" gym here on my campus, and it's quite like climbing outside, so I'm just wondering, how many of you go to gyms where you could still climb the walls if you took all the holds off?

As for my gym, if you want to check it out, it's on Entreprise's website http://www.epusa.com/walls It's the gym at UTSA, small but more then enough for a beginner like me, and with natural climbs up to 5.12b, that we know of, it's fairly new and there's alot of projects that people are still trying to get the first ascent of. (from the mainpage, go to references and then scroll down till you find UTSA)

travelin_light

Nov 22, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wow, I feel dumb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if there were no holds to be changed around then things would get pretty boring after awhile. probably alot of fun at first though.

musicman1586

Nov 22, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah, the wall has holds all over it, just not in those pics on the website, but like I don't see myself as "training" when I'm climbing in there, because I can stop using the holds and climb the natural features and it feels (and often tears up my fingers) like real rock, so I'm sorta of just wondering if people find gyms more boring because they do go to gyms that are all holds. Although, on a counterpoint, your still inside, the sun isn't bearing down on you, and there's not a tree in sight, so it isn't as enjoyable as real climbing.

chossmonkey

Nov 22, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing indoors is like self pleasure, it passes the dry spells and can be fun every once in a while even if it isn't a dry spell. But it pretty much pails in comparison to doing the real thing.

I've had fun climbing indoors, I've done some cool routes inside, but a choice between indoors and out on a reasonably nice day, to me and most others, outside is where it's at.

musicman1586

Nov 22, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, I would in no way ever enter a gym if I had a choice between inside or outside, I've seen and heard the inside-outside debate a thousand times. My real pondering is if it's the flat walls of gym that make people turn from them with disdain, not whether gym climbing is better then real climbing.

king_rat

Nov 22, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing outdoors for me is about so much more then just the features on the rock and the physical act of climbing. Climbing indoors no matter how good the features are is a pail imitation of being out in the wilderness.

gneiss

Nov 22, 2005, 6:07 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no matter what the walls are made of it is still gym climbing and it still pretty much blows.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 22, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
..... and it's quite like climbing outside...

ummmm....no. It isn't. But knock yourself out and have fun!

nedsurf

Nov 22, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, i'm one of those persons who hates climbing indoors. you got me interested in that companies "custom rock" walls. looks possibly interesting, but i'd rather climb outside. I agree fundamentally with the self pleasure reference to indoor climbing.

musicman1586

Nov 23, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once again people, this isn't an inside-outside debate, for sake of the question, just forget that climbing outdoors even exists. I'm merely asking if you think that it's because the flat walls of most gyms that people dislike gyms so much? Phrased in another way, do you think more people might get more out of their gym experience, as lacking as it is already, if it wasn't for all the flat-walled gyms of the world?

Partner fire_eyes

Nov 23, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go to the gym once in a while if I had a decent gym to go to. Nearest gym to me is 30 minutes away, has a leaky roof, carpeting that smells REALLY bad and is over-run with high schoolers. Basically it's a dump. If it were nicer, I'd happily pay the $40 a month and improve my climbing skills.
So OP, yep, I think a gym like that would improve my gym experience. It might actually get me into one :D

ecjohnson

Nov 23, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really wouldn't matter. I climb inside... if I absolutely have to get some climbing in. It happrns once a month maybe, and I hate all kinds of climbing inside. This thread esentially asks people whether or not they like it. Only difference is that you have created the answers to decide between, and lump them into two groups. However, everyone's reason for liking or not liking gym climbing is very different. so let them answer the way they want. theyh read your question, and it's pretty clear what you're asking.

jred

Nov 23, 2005, 1:38 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Entreprises make nice walls, but they are very limited. Post back after climbing those walls for a few months and tell us if you are still enjoying yourself. Angled, featured walls of plywood with lot's of t-nuts offer much more potential for creative fun routes.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook