Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Zion Cave route Beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

joeforte

Oct 12, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Zion Cave route Beta  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Zion_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, My father and I are looking for some easy (5.4-5.7) climbing in the northern arizona/ southern utah area. The cave route in zion looks good, but I only have a rack of two sets of cams (largest 2 are 3.5" max), and 3 tcu's in the 1.5" range. I have a bunch of tricams, hexes and nuts also.... so is this rack sufficient for this route, or does it eat up cams like crazy? Are there any other route suggestions for a beginer leader with a gunks rack, double set of cams, in this region? We'll be in the grand canyon and surrounding areas (including moab, arches, escalante, ect....)

nieder

Nov 28, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #2 of 2 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Re: Zion Cave route Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This route doesnt need too much gear and is probably one of the easiest routes in the park that I know of- (it's only like 50-60 ft) I just did it this weekend and had more than enough gear with my meager rack- here is what I placed:

#4 Camalot (your 3.5 will work)
#3 Camalot
#5 Hexcentric
#1 Camalot
#2 Camalot
#.75 Camalot

And that was probably overkill.
There are other cool routes on Cerebrus to the right of Cave Route- make sure you check out Cherry Crack. Other easier/shorter routes in Zion are Ashtar Command (5.8), Tourist Crack (5.9) and Toilet Cracks (5.8).
If you want some other quality easier trad stuff, check out Snow Canyon in St. George.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook