RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tirion

Nov 30, 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

japanese alpine winter
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey

just wondered if anyone had any experience of japanese alpine winter climbs? there seems to be allot to do, but not much information. the best i can find is this http://asiatrek.blogdns.com/page3.html

i was thinking of just doing some solo trips to the lower peaks around kamokochi. maybe this is a bad idea, but i am getting a bit frustrated trying to find climbing partners.

anyway, and tips or health warnings would be useful. i have scottish winter experience, and mixed climbing experience from the french alps. only low-middle grade though.

thanks
neill

oopps

Nov 30, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Re: japanese alpine winter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

G'day,

You in Tokyo at the moment Tirion, or somewhere else in the land of the rising sun?

I'm currently living in Tokyo and wouldn't mind finding a partner for alpine this winter - pm me if you're still looking for one.

Only thing I've heard about Japanese mountains is the number of deaths from people soloing each year (don't mean to put you off, though) which is why I have never done any real alpine stuff here.

healyje

Nov 30, 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know about the climbing but there are good hot spring inns up in the mountains...

tirion

Nov 30, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i am in tokyo, near shibuya. i have been to the bpump place in kokobunji a couple of times, and had a look at the edogowabashi place (twall). which gym do you go to?

for rock climbing i had a look at the routes up at mitsu-toge yama, but to be honest it was like a 3 hour train drive then a 2 -3 hour hike just to get to the bolted routes. i left at 8am and didnt get there till like 3pm, and it was getting dark! must be some good outdoor routes closer.

some alpine stuff would be great. i talked to that guy from the site i linked, and he said it is generally safer in spring, but maybe there is some practise stuff we could do, i dunno.

oopps

Nov 30, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a feeling I might have run into you at some point before.

I've been to bpump a few times, but I mostly go to Edogawabashi t-wall. I'm there pretty much every weeknight except monday. Pathetic, I know to spend so much time in a gym, but...

There are some places closer to Tokyo for rock climbing, but most still involve leaving at 5 am-ish. For outdoor stuff, Yugawara is one of the closer ones. Jogasaki and Joyama are also within commuting distance, but it's a long train ride (you can get down to Joyama by about 7:30 if you're willing to catch the first train).

tirion

Dec 1, 2005, 1:54 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think our paths have crossed. I will try and drop by twall a bit more often. it is just a bit of a nightmare to get to in rush hour.

thanks for the outdoor tips i will try those places out. if you and some friends are ever heading for some rock any saturday give me a shout

oopps

Dec 1, 2005, 1:34 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The trains from Shibuya can be horrible at almost anytime of day, although the evenings tend to be the worst, I know.

But, if you're ever at T-wall and see a short gaijin girl climbing (and most likely screwing it up), that's probably me, so come over and say hi.

cchas

Dec 1, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its been many years (had lived in Tokyo from '95-early '97) but did some alpine and ice climbing in the Japanese Alps. There is a traverse of 5 or 6 peaks (I keep forgetting since I did it solo in a storm-stupid me) in the Mehodake region of the Kita Alps, near Kamikochi. There is a bunch of decent ice climbs up there but they tend to be a PITA to get to.

There is a huge face on Ichinokarasawa. REALLY don't recommend it due to the avalanche danger (I was young and REALLY STUPID with a desire to solo things). Its not one of those things I'd do until you have alot of alpine experience.

Also check out the region both south and north of Chino (on the Chuo line if my fading alzimerish memory serves me). South of Chino is part of the Southern Alps and has decent alpine things to do in the winter.

North of Chino (actually north east) there is a bunch of VERY moderate (WI3ish) ice climbs (if the japanese are still using there own ice grades I used to take 1 to 2 grades off to convert them to the WI system). You can also do a ridge traverse which is very popular (maybe too popular).

What ever you do, be careful out there, every winter, WAY too many people would get killed in avalanches, (including a woman that I had met occassionally climbing :cry: )

That or you could just chill out and go cragging at Makawia Yugawara or Jogasaki :lol:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook