Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

toprope_media

May 8, 2002, 1:47 PM
Post #51 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

What Gyms Do You Think Are Cool? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A.I.R. Albany Indoor Rock, Albany NY.
Small, but good. Plus they have hundreds of feet of indoor caves.....and of course, Chelsea Piers in NYC...

highballer

May 8, 2002, 2:20 PM
Post #52 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Minnesota I would have to say the best gym wold be vertical endeavors in Duluth, but it's kinda spendy. I know some guys that set routes there. They are awesome climbers and kick a$$ people. check it out at www.verticalendeavors.com

Partner tim

May 8, 2002, 3:08 PM
Post #53 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Surprised nobody mentioned Mission Cliffs. I really liked the staff and route setters there, plus the Dawn Patrol in the mornings was a great way to avoid the meat market at night. I heard it has gone downhill a bit, but I haven't climbed in another gym that was anywhere near as nice as MC. It didn't hurt that I lived 8 blocks away. I'm pretty sure that the winter I spent climbing at MC (there is no good ice in CA during the 'winter' months, you heard it here first) was responsible for punching my trad leads up to (honest, old-school) 5.10's.

I still wonder why I left SF. I had a great job offer with a company that is still doing well (!), was making good money, and generally loved the place. It was 5 hours to the Needles and 2 1/2 to the Valley. I never had to scrounge for partners like I do here.

WTF was I thinking? Oh well...

Anyways, if you find yourself in the Bay Area, it's hard to go too far wrong with the Touchstone gyms (Ironworks, Mission Cliffs, Class 5). Ironworks and MC are huge and the routes (below 5.12 at least) are unlikely to send your tendons whizzing off of your bones, which, as a 180-pound lummox, I appreciate. Just don't go at night... bars are cheaper and less crowded, as meat markets go.

When I moved here (to DC) I took my girlfriend to Sportrock in Alexandria, she liked the idea of climbing indoors. They were very surly to her and I didn't appreciate it at all. I joined the YMCA, they had a miniature climbing wall that was never open, and when I moved to Capitol Hill we joined the Results gym here. It is in the formative stages as far as regulars/atmosphere, but the routes are well set, leading is finally allowed, and generally I'm much happier patronizing Results than I would be giving money to a bunch of f---ing surly gym rats (Sportrock). Perhaps I am being unkind, but the 30' wall at Results is more to my liking than the bigger, more abundant routes at SR, simply because of the bad impression the staff gave me. I'm sure a lot of cool people climb at SR, but I had not realized how important the atmosphere was (at MC, and elsewhere) until that incident.

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-05-08 08:13 ]

howitzer

May 8, 2002, 3:48 PM
Post #54 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jabb - that sucks about sportrock - I just applied for a job there but have only been about 5 times to climb indoors at their place. It's just too darn expensive. I'll have to check out results - do you have to join the whole place to climb? Any info you have would be great! Thanks!

Partner tim

May 8, 2002, 4:00 PM
Post #55 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Results is really more of a gym-with-a-climbing-wall than a climbing-gym-with-weights. It's $75 a month, same as the YMCA or most climbing gyms. I think you get a free pass (or two) if you swing by and ask to check out the place. It's at 3rd and G St. SE, right off of 295/395 (6th St. SE exit) if you are interested.

I'm sure Sportrock is a better place for climbing-specific training, it's just that the incident with my girlfriend really left a bad taste in my mouth. For all I know, the staffers who were real jerks may no longer work there. It certainly has a lot more terrain than Results. On the other hand, Results allegedly got a permit to build the pool they wanted on the corner of 3rd and G, which will be very nice during the summer. No pool at Sportrock

arachnifem

Jul 3, 2002, 10:19 PM
Post #56 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a fan of 2 gyms here in Nor Cal. One, Rocknasium in Davis, is awesome b/c it's small but well-equiped to handle even the trickiest climber, well-staffed with friendly and enthusiastic people, and moderately cheap. Second, Granite Arch in Rancho Cordova, has a bomb bouldering room with tons of problems and some nice artificial cracks.

orestes1724

Jul 4, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #57 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i went to the boston rock gym.
it was a really good gym, because they have great routes and awesome fetures.

[ This Message was edited by: orestes1724 on 2002-07-03 17:29 ]

kjclimber

Jul 4, 2002, 1:08 AM
Post #58 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U of Idaho's SRC is good. 60 foot leadable and natural climb pinnacle. Free for students who have their own gear. Good climb out cave, but no roof

couloir

Jul 4, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #59 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I no longer find any gym cool. I've spent enough time climbing outside that I just can't get motivated to climb inside.

hyzenthlay

Jul 6, 2002, 6:44 AM
Post #60 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm glad to see that someone else mentioned rocknasium in davis, ca. i love the place, but from what i have seen and heard, it's not so big. but you can't beat the people who work there, or those who climb there. oh, and (whether or not this is a good thing i have not decided) it was on mtv last week on the show they taped in davis over the spring. the only other gym i've been to is pipeworks, in sacramento. oh, and the climbing wall in the recreation hall at uc davis. at any rate, rocknasium is the best.

col_sanderz

Jul 7, 2002, 8:27 AM
Post #61 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, Vertical Endeavours in Duluth is mas cool. I go to school in Duluth and spend every last penny I have on my membership there. Maybe its time to get a job during school??

skatefriday1

Dec 5, 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #62 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Rockreation/Boulderdash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, this is an old thread.

I've been climbing for a couple of months and have visited three
different gyms in Los Angeles. Best gym? Boulderdash. Why? Supportive staff.
As a new climber I can find it difficult to find people to climb with.
At Boulderdash the staff has almost always been proactive in helping
me find a partner.

Worst gym? Rockreation. It's not just the short walls which really wouldn't
be an issue, but it's the difficulty finding people to climb with. And the staff,
with the notable exception of Andrew, pretty much shrugs their shoulders
when asked for help finding a climbing partner.

Rockreation completely sucks if you don't show up with someone to climb with.

And it's staff is not very receptive to new climbers who may be finding
it difficult to find partners.

thisflash

Dec 5, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #63 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rockreation/Boulderdash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Worst gym? Rockreation....Rockreation completely sucks....

YES!
It does suck.

Go to The Front!

saxfiend

Dec 5, 2005, 2:03 AM
Post #64 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rockreation/Boulderdash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Worst gym? Rockreation. It's not just the short walls which really wouldn't
be an issue, but it's the difficulty finding people to climb with. And the staff,
with the notable exception of Andrew, pretty much shrugs their shoulders
when asked for help finding a climbing partner.
What gave you the idea that it's the job of the gym and its staff to find you a partner? I've been to a few gyms and none of them offers this as a service. You've been climbing for two months and haven't managed to meet anyone who'll climb with you? Sounds like a personal problem to me; don't blame the gym.

JL

spceal_ed

Dec 5, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #65 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Boise Peak Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think my gym Boise Peak Fitness in Boise, Idaho is pretty cool. The walls were sculpted out of foam and then covered in a special type of concrete so it is like real rock. It also has a great, friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Check it out at www.boisepeakfitness.com

climbingaggie03

Dec 5, 2005, 4:32 AM
Post #66 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

What Gyms do you Think are Cool? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like New Jack City

jeapord

Dec 5, 2005, 4:46 AM
Post #67 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if my wall were outside, on a moutaintop, and it were made of real rock it would be cool.

brittgold

Dec 5, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #68 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Boulders sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my gym in Harket Heights Texas has 40 foot walls, boulder, bouldering cave, a whole hall for sport climbing, and tons of wall space. Only down part is the floor is rubber.

mcgivney_nh

Dec 5, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #69 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Re: gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think if my wall were outside, on a moutaintop, and it were made of real rock it would be cool.

thats a trophy for sure!

:D

-Sean

stonefoxgirl

Dec 5, 2005, 8:55 PM
Post #70 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Gyms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am partial to Planet Rock in Ann Arbor Michigan. The gym itself is fantabulous, I don't go there that often to speak of the clientele.

I visited a gym while I was in SLO, spend just and hour and a half there and that place rocked.

I haven't been there but hope to go some day to The Spot. I don't think I really have to say much about that place, it speaks for itself.

milominderbinder

Dec 5, 2005, 9:06 PM
Post #71 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gyms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Planet Rock Ann Arbor is a winner, as limited as my experience is. Staff is cool. The lead area is awsome, I'm hoping to do my first indoor leading there this weekend (i'm pretty new)...

They also just had a comp, only it was themed, which was pretty sweet. It was "urban climbing." One route, the holds were all bricks, for example, bolted to the wall. They built this giant half a block, painted it like a bus, and planted it on the wall so it was like a 30 degree overhang, and planted holds on it, which was used for the finals. It was pretty cool.

EDIT:
A picture of the bus, for the curious: http://www.planet-rock.com/photo.php?photo=461
And other pics: http://www.planet-rock.com/gallery.php?gallery=3

The comp winner was a 16 year old that routinely climbs there, supposedly travels a bit to compete, I don't really know. Just know he flashed pretty much everything put up, at least while I was there.

Partner tradman

Dec 7, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #72 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

cool gyms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two gyms I think are very, very cool:

Alien Rock 2 bouldering wall:

http://www.alienrock.co.uk/..._on_the_roof_lip.jpg

Because the problems are wicked hard but everyone's cool and every session's a blast.

Also the vast, colossal and gigantic Ratho Adventure Center:

http://www.adventurescotland.com/uploads/1new-arena.jpg

Because it's the biggest indoor climbing gym in the world - it is mind-bendingly enormous, but you can climb all day and never get bored.

sumchum

Dec 7, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #73 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Cool Gyms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uprising Gym in Palm Springs, CA is cool, if only for the fact that I think its the only outdoor gym in the country. Plus the membership gives you access to a great weight room and indoor/outdoor pool.

diefa

Dec 8, 2005, 3:34 AM
Post #74 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

Indoor gyms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, this is my first time going to a gym in the United States because I live in Namibia.

For me the newest greater invention is the climbing mechine at Atlanta Rocks. It really tests your power to the limits and gives you a very good work out.

Keep your muscles pumped!!! :)

pdx_climber

Dec 16, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #75 of 82 (16674 views)
Shortcut

re: gyms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Spot and The Circuit are fantastic. Both are bouldering gyms and they really did things right with the layout and feel of the places.

The funny thing is, that their competitors (The Boulder Rock Club in Boulder and The Portland Rock Gym in Portland, respectively) are also very similar but just sort of suck, for reasons that are tough to put to words. I don't know what it is about bouldering gyms that make them so much more appealing than the standard 40' climbing gym, but the attitudes (or lack thereof) are just way better in my experience.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook