Premier Sponsor:

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Sep 12, 2001, 5:02 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Need help for Climbing Journal
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am creating a climbing journal that will provide people the ability to track routes that they have climbed.

I need some help in making the options for how we climb a route. My idea here is that you might climb a route but as I understand there are different ways to climb it like Red point, Greenpoint, and Flash. Are there others? Do I have these terms right? I'd like to explain this concept a little better and I need some feed back.

If you want to help test this for me, then find any route that you have climbed and click "add new" for Climbed By:.

fiend

Sep 12, 2001, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Need help for Climbing Journal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the standard is

Onsight: climbed first try with no prior information of any kind

Flash: climbed first try with prior beta, ie: watching someone else climb it, or being told key sequences

Redpoint: climbed without falling or resting in 2 or more tries.

I'm guessing that greenpoint is climbing with preplaced gear? I thought that was pinkpointing, but hey, we're on to brown pointing, head pointing etc.

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Sep 12, 2001, 5:19 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'll start with Onsight, Flash, and Redpoint unless someone else has something else. I guess this may get us into the debate of what is a redpoint. That's another discussion.

However, I still need some feedback on entering the entries. I'm still working on the lists that make this actually interesting.

[ This Message was edited by: trevor on 2001-09-12 17:30 ]

ericontherocks

Sep 14, 2001, 12:46 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i,ve gone through and added a couple of climbs it seems to take awhile to go through and add many at a time but as you get them in there it wont be a problem to add on.
By the way what do you plan to do with this new info gathered?

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Sep 14, 2001, 1:14 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback. This really helps. I'd love to create a fast way to enter this info. If you have a better idea, then let me know.

The reason we are doing this if for three reasons:
1) This can serve as your personal training program and help you track your progress. That is the reason I give you the option to store Private records. This is simply a diary.

2) We also want to use this to rank members and give top climbers credit for the work and success they are striving to. Potentially sponsors will look here to search for up and coming pros. I also see this as a world rankin including professional climbers world wide.

3) The final reason is what I call networking. As climbers see that you are climbing a lot on routes in certain areas, they can talk to you about help and maybe organize trips with you. You all can compare training between friends on the site to help push you. Part of this last thing will also give you the ability to create custom lists of climbers. Imagine a group of 5 friends that are all trying to get better. You create a friends list. Each person keeps track of his or her own progress and Rockclimbing.com tracks points for each climb and ranks members in a group.

Only point 2 is a real public tool. 1 and 3 are just for your own personal use. I think this will become a really powerful tool as we get more entries and show you how to create more interesting reports and tracking tools.

ardbeg
Deleted

Sep 20, 2001, 5:47 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On sight,flash,redpoint.
This means al gear is placed on lead,during this accent.There is also redpoint with preplaced runers,this is redcross.And,in the past you could claim an accent as AF- means all free,the route is climged "free" with resting on the gear.I forget pinkpoint,after a fall you go back to your last "no hands rest"and try again.

bart

Sep 20, 2001, 5:57 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really understand where we can put the routes we've climbed.
Is pinkpoint the same as jojo then?

aulwes

Sep 20, 2001, 8:26 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you wont add hang dog, for beginngers who like the sit on the rope? Just kidding.

krillen

Sep 20, 2001, 8:32 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent Idea guys. A great way to keep motivated and no more "how hard do you climb?" questions...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook