RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

verticon

Dec 7, 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Mental training for the next climbing season
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

C'mon guys, it's been a long time since nobody posted anything on this forum. Is it because it's the last forum on the index or nobody is interested anymore in mental training when not climbing in winter time ?
IMO this is the best time to systematically train your mind and your body to bypass the weaknesses you've discovered over the last climbing season.
So, what about the winter mental training for the next climbing season ? What techniques do you use for not loosing your mental achievements ?

elepita

Dec 7, 2005, 1:01 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mental training for the next climbing season [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the climbing season over already?? Not in Spain!! We are still climbing here 8^) I guess the best mental trainning when you cannot climb outside is at least climb inside or boulder. Or if you cannot even do that, use your imagination, reclimb in your mind routes you have done that were challenging for you and also visualize yourself climbing those projects you have for the next climbing season. Enjoy!

wonderwoman

Dec 7, 2005, 5:53 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What techniques do you use for not loosing your mental achievements ?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. We are forced to go indoor climbing (winter here) and I have been focusing on breathing through hard moves which is helping me.

However, there is really no way that I can think of to practice placing gear, which is mentally challenging for me while on lead.

I would like some tips on keeping my 'trad head', which I had really begun to fine tune by the end of my climbing season, when I'm unable to put mileage on the rock. I have a trip to Joshua Tree in March and I don't want to get out there and get cold (lead) feet!

mcfoley

Dec 7, 2005, 6:53 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Re: Mental training for the next climbing season

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It would suck so bad if there was such a thing out her in SoCal...

CLIMBING SEASON...BHAAA HAHAHAHAHHA!!!

THATS FUNNY
:lol: :lol: :lol:

climb1212

Dec 7, 2005, 8:01 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe many of the philosophies expounded upon in Arno Ilgner's The Rock Warrior's Way apply to both climbing and life. With that in mind, you can practice the principles of warriorship in daily situations and climbing situations alike. If you haven't checked it out, I would highly recommend it.

arnoilgner

Dec 7, 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess the holiday season slows down the postings.

Anyway, verticon, you say "this is the best time to systematically train your mind and your body to bypass the weaknesses you've discovered over the last climbing season.

If we each would ask what weakness we've discovered then we would be able to develop a winter practice program. What have you discovered about yourself? Much of the ww work is on self awareness. So go ahead and list weaknesses you've become aware off and then add what you intend to do to work on it.

Wonderwoman, you mentioned wanting suggestions to keep your trad head because you are challenged by placing pro. I'm not sure what you could practice outside of actually being on trad climbs. However, you could ask yourself why this is challenging for you. Perhaps you don't trust your gear. Perhaps you become afraid because it takes so long to place a piece. Perhaps you feel you cannot regain your strength after using so much to place a piece. Why? Investigate...
arno

_fiend_

Dec 8, 2005, 4:43 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a lot of things to post, probably too much :wink: Will do it one of these days.

A few thoughts about this issue...

Climbing season.....well our climbing season is whenever it's dry. Currently it's gritstone and/or bouldering season :wink: Actually, that isn't the easiest season for practising RWW :?

Myself, I've identified recently that I've gone back to being very inhibited about falling, and I need to work on that again. So I've been doing falling practise indoors. So far, just short deliberate falls, from the top of the wall with a bolt by my feet. I'm going to work on taking longer falls.

At the same time I'm trying to lead routes which are at my indoor leading limit, to get used to doing harder moves on lead. I'm hoping to combine those so that I end up falling off harder routes when trying the moves. I.e. so I feel confident about unplanned falls.

At some point I'm going to need to transfer this to climbing outside...

Actually, it could be possible to extend this to outside even if the weather is crap. You could find an easy-ish, steep route with good gear, frig your way up until suitably high, place some bomber pro and jump off. Even in the rain :wink:

Finally, wonderwoman - if placing pro is a problem and you can't practise that, you can work on the physical side of placing pro i.e. hanging on in uncomfortable positions - that can be trained indoors (with suitable discipline, which I lack!).

wonderwoman

Dec 8, 2005, 7:28 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, you could ask yourself why this is challenging for you. Perhaps you don't trust your gear. Perhaps you become afraid because it takes so long to place a piece. Perhaps you feel you cannot regain your strength after using so much to place a piece. Why? Investigate...
arno

Thanks for the ideas. Now that you mention it, Arno, I was feeling more comfortable at the end of the season because I had taken many courses (self rescue / women's trad clinic) and had made myself more familiar with techniques, and therefore trust pro more because I had more understanding on how things work. I had moved from panic mode to having control while placing gear.

However, I have not taken a fall on trad yet which would be the ultimate test of my gear placement. I am not ready for that test! So once I get above my piece I spend too much energy worrying about falling (although that's gotten better, too).

I also like fiend's suggestion to indoor train by holding on uncomfortable positions, as if I were taking the time to place pro. I will certainly do this the next time at the gym.

Thank you!

chossmonkey

Dec 9, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, there is really no way that I can think of to practice placing gear, which is mentally challenging for me while on lead.

Take your rack around your place, and at every nook and cranny you find try stuffing a piece of gear in. It's not perfect but it might help you train your eye so you pull off the right sized piece the first time.

We have a friend who practices building anchors while watching TV. It seems like it has paid off too. He is getting pretty quick at setting up belays on multi pitch.

granite_grrl

Dec 12, 2005, 7:12 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We have a friend who practices building anchors while watching TV. It seems like it has paid off too. He is getting pretty quick at setting up belays on multi pitch.

He also makes his gf go through knot tying drills :lol:

I've gone climbing with the guy at the crags and I'm totally impressed, after a winter in front of the TV at home he'll be faster than both me and you, Mr. Monkey, in anchor building :P

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook