RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

melonhead

Aug 9, 2002, 7:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Informal Poll
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just curious to hear what people prefer. While on the wall, my bud and I were curious what.........

Size haul rope you like??

Where you like to dock your bag durring the bivy?? Under the ledge? To the side? I know it's kinda "Anchor Dependent", but I'm just curious.

......and why.

Melon

pbjosh

Aug 9, 2002, 7:15 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Informal Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually ends up under the ledge as horizontal space is at a premium. Put it near one end and just slightly below (anchor allowing) and presto you can reach in from a seated position on your ledge. Otherwise it's almost handier to be a few feet below the ledge so you can go down to it without hitting your head on the ledge.

I have a 9x60 haul rope and like it just fine... I don't think I'd want anything much larger from a weight and bulk standpoint. Much smaller and I'd be worried that many devices that I use on the wall would stop working so well on the haul rope (jugs, gri-gri, pro-traxion, etc). Of course that last bit is completely untested hypothesis. Plus my static line was really cheap so I really like it.

josh

punk

Aug 9, 2002, 8:47 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will try to keep it to the side of the ledge and slightly above so u can reach bottom try using directional if u can I will AVOID however, putting it below the ledge since it will demand an intense amount of labor retrieving anything from it I much rather keeping the Pig higher then lower
I use 200 3/8 MK-III line I think its the best out there
Hope it helped

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-08-09 15:26 ]

passthepitonspete

Aug 10, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bag is docked where it ends up being docked, directly below the Power Point by the Docking Tether.

If you have a Far End Hauler set up, it will necessarily hang a bit lower.

Once the bag is where it is, you set your ledge up so the ledge itself is about a foot below the top of the bag. This way you can reach in, and reach all the way to the bottom of the bag.

The trick is to find a point of suspension about three or four feet to one side of the pig's point so that you can hang the ledge. You might need to use directional slings on the ledge to pull it one way or the other.

10mm static haul line is sufficient. I have used thinner while soloing and been scared while rappelling it to clean, which is not cool. So now I stick to 10mm.

Were I to go to a hazardous mountain environment with stonefall, I would beef up to 11mm or even 12mm.

mrhardgrit

Aug 10, 2002, 2:48 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a 8mm haul line for the simple reason that I can buy it for around $60 for 60m. It works fine in a minitraxion and protraxion and has been thoroughly tested. Accepted that it doesn't last as long as the beefier ropes and I only justify this with the price... not safety.

I do also use the 8mm to solo - but only smaller stuff which is rope-friendly! Yeh, it is a little scary (but you should try rapping on a 6mm - that's fun, but dodgy). If you do rap on the 8mm, don't forget to use a belay device that will work i.e. a plate that goes real close to the locking biner on your belay loop. If you don't you WILL have BBQ'd hands!

Tom

freeclmr

Aug 10, 2002, 6:15 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I solo on a 10.2x60 dynamic line and haul with eather another 10.2x60 dynamic or a 200'x11mm static. Having the two beefy ropes is, IMHO, essential in case of unplanned retreats, stuck lines, or whatever. I don't believe that climber should EVER trade the security of a tough rope for a cheaper price.....my life is worth far more than any rope on the market.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook