RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Sep 13, 2001, 7:20 PM
Post #1 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Teams...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just recently heard of this. My local gym is starting a team and training starts Oct. 2nd every Tuesday night. The teams season ends in March when the Boulder, Colorado finnals take place. I know this isn't a team competition, that individual statis is only recorded but was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this?

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 13, 2001, 9:06 PM
Post #2 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Teams... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend is starting a team at the gym we both work at. Geard towards the same age as the JCCA. They will hold practices, and scrimmages with other gyms in the area.

It's a great learning opportunity for kids who either want to learn how to climb, or increase their level of climbing.

It seems to be a big hit at other gyms that have been doing it for a few years.

compclimber

Sep 13, 2001, 9:44 PM
Post #3 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out www.paradiserock.com they have a team called "team paradise".....and they also do competitions during the school year

andy_lemon

Sep 15, 2001, 5:56 AM
Post #4 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guys, I'm talking about the American Bouldering Series, not the JCCA. I am 20 years old.

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 15, 2001, 7:00 AM
Post #5 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oooooooooo...I see.

Well, same idea I would suppose. But haven't heard about any for us "older" folk.

andy_lemon

Sep 17, 2001, 6:11 PM
Post #6 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So have we started a trend? Are we the first organised Climbing Team in the U.S. that goes to local/regional events?

andy_lemon

Sep 24, 2001, 7:18 PM
Post #7 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to the climbing gym in Indianapolis this weekend. They also have a climbing team.

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 24, 2001, 9:24 PM
Post #8 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an assistant coach now to my gym's team. I word as my girlfriend's rock bitch.

tyraidbp

Sep 29, 2001, 3:19 PM
Post #9 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No Andy, your gym has not set a trend, but rather reinforced a trend started by other gyms and even park districts from years past. I am sure that if done correctly, a climbing team would be cool, but sometimes you get a lowend coach who is not going to continuously remind kids and adults that it is NOT about ratings. That is going to make these teams come into a gym with a cocky attitude, thinking that because they do a V6 boulder problem in their own gym, they are going to win the comp. I have seen it at every ABS comp I have entered. Last year was a great example, we are waiting for the rules to be gone over, and this kid from a team in I think Wisconsin, goes "can we get this started so I can win and go home?" Turns out, all the kid won was a water bottle in the raffle, but atleast he won something. Just keep things like that in your mind as you enter your team at comps. Climbing, even in competitions is about having fun, not about numbers, on-sight levels, redpoints, or anything else, just having fun.

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 29, 2001, 4:02 PM
Post #10 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Numbers suck all form of ass. With the kids on our team, they will be asked to keep a journal, and include in that their goals. If they submit any goals as numbers, they will be politly asked to do it all over.

We're trying to teach them that climbing is about themselves enjoying it before worrying about numbers. We don't them to look at this sport the way every other youth sport is conceived; beat everyone to be the best and winning is everything. It's all about personal goals and accomplishments.

In the scrimmages we will hold with other gyms, each individual has a chance of helping the team score no matter what grade they will climb at. That way it isn't just one or two climbers whom the team relies on. There are 3 divisions of climbers, and a kid who places 3rd who climbs a 5.7 will get the same points as a kid who places 3rd and climbs a 5.11d. Each kid is able contribute greatly to their teams own success. It's f'n sweet.

tyraidbp

Oct 1, 2001, 4:42 PM
Post #11 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey PianoMahnn, I would just like to start off by saying "You Rock" no pun intended. I heard a rumor that you get spanked on sloppers, how will this affect your ability to coach young climbers to victory? hahaha I like the sound of what you are doing for the team, if that place does one thing well, it will be this team. Now if we could just get every other team in the country to do the same, that would be cool. I think with the uprising of all these climbing teams, the finals in Colorado will be out of controll. But the wonderful people of the Boulder Rock Club should keep everything running smoothly. Every climber, on every team, should be taught that the YDS(Yosemite Dork System)should not be considered in their ability. You keep up the good work, and keep those kids strong mentally. Good Luck!!!

tyraidbp

Oct 1, 2001, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey PianoMahnn, I would just like to start off by saying "You Rock" no pun intended. I heard a rumor that you get spanked on sloppers, how will this affect your ability to coach young climbers to victory? hahaha I like the sound of what you are doing for the team, if that place does one thing well, it will be this team. Now if we could just get every other team in the country to do the same, that would be cool. I think with the uprising of all these climbing teams, the finals in Colorado will be out of controll. But the wonderful people of the Boulder Rock Club should keep everything running smoothly. Every climber, on every team, should be taught that the YDS(Yosemite Dork System)should not be considered in their ability. You keep up the good work, and keep those kids strong mentally. Good Luck!!!

andy_lemon

Oct 1, 2001, 6:04 PM
Post #13 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep me informed if you guys will be making it to the Boulder Finals in Colorado. I may go to watch. We start training on Tuesday. Thanks for the info.

Andy

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 1, 2001, 8:44 PM
Post #14 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyraid..you dork, DOUBLE POSTING WEENIE!!

I own slopers. They are my biotch.

Or maybe it's the other way around. HA HA!!

Yosemite Dork System needs to die. GRRRRRRRRR

tyraidbp

Oct 1, 2001, 11:11 PM
Post #15 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the double post, I was talking, writing an e-mail, and drinking coffee. Kinda like when I belay someone. NOT!!! I think the sloppers own you, or so I have been told. I am not too sure if I am going to the finals or not, I might swing through there on my way to Phoenix, but still dont know. I guess it would be cool to go and see my good friend Casey, but like I said, still dont know. I think your team will do quite well as long as you keep in mind that it is climbing, and just that. This is not some basketball game, just climbing. Meant to be fun for all. Stay cool, and climb hard.

iclimb512s

Nov 6, 2001, 2:43 AM
Post #16 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andy, did u go to climb tim indy? thats the gym that Tori Allen trains at.

that girl is amazing.
she will put everyone on this site to shame

tyraidbp

Nov 11, 2001, 7:26 PM
Post #17 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to say this, but I cant stand Tori Allen. Plain and simple. She is the biggest whiner you will ever meet. And as far as her "out climbing" everyone at this site, NOT TRUE!!! If you had an agent, then you too would be know like she is. I will give you the fact that she is a good climber, but not the best by far. Infact, she is a robot who cant think for herself. I have watched her fall off of problems that she should be able to do according to her parents/agents/followers spray numerous times. Any time I get the chance, I stay far away from her. If everyone at ClimbTime Indy gave all of the children the same amount of attention and incuragment that is given to her, they would benifit greatly. But that is not the case, most of the people at that gym dont even realize that other kids her age are even there. Tori Allen=JOKE
That is just me though, I have to go and find an agent now.

talons05

Nov 11, 2001, 7:49 PM
Post #18 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

umm... Yeah, back to the original topic, I have heard of many gyms starting "climbing teams." Basically, all this means is that the group trains together and supports one another at comps. There are no team competitions that I know of, but maybe soon we will see a new trend...

AW

fiend

Nov 11, 2001, 7:53 PM
Post #19 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're not alone in that opinion there Tyraid, I haven't met Tori personally but I do know several people that have and their opinions match your own.

Some people that know her say that she's a kick ass climber and she is allowed to sport a bit of an attitude but I can't respect that.
I was able to watch Katie Brown climb a while ago and was blown away by her reserved approach to climbing. No spray, very modest, but her climbing does all the talking for her. She is a powerhouse on the rock and a great person off the rock. That is what I can respect.

fiend

Nov 11, 2001, 7:58 PM
Post #20 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In response to Talons05:

Around here (Southern Ontario) we have a highschool competition series. Local highschools compete in teams of 10 and are ranked according to team scores.

tyraidbp

Nov 12, 2001, 2:09 AM
Post #21 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In further response to Talon.... The topic at hand is supporting kids and young adults to get better at climbing. It just so happens that someone brought up Tori Allen, and how great she is. When in reality, she is not the best thing since sliced bread. The concept of a team, is to give everyone the same level of support. Which in the eyes of the Allen family means divide between Tori and ummmmmm....oh yeah, Tori. I have to say, that on stuff she falls from, I get on and move beyond her last point, or have already sent it. But you dont see me having a bit of attitude. The point is and always will be, just because you are good, does not mean that you have to have an attitude. And also does not mean that you cant take the time to help someone else and give them the same support that people have given you over the years.

andy_lemon

Nov 19, 2001, 8:51 PM
Post #22 of 22 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you were 13 or 14 years old you would have an attitude too. Don't denie the girl that. She still has alot of growing up to do.

All the talk about Katie Brown and Tori Allen being two different people... Katie Brown trains Tori... I've met Katie and have only seen Tori but they seem like two of the same kind to me.

Tori is just a kid, leave her alone. If you want to talk about someone in a bad way, then maybe we should focus on Sharma here... he is the one that is old enought to make choices on his own. Tori is a kid.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook