RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tallnik

Dec 14, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1510 views)
Shortcut

1/2 inch webbing for v-threads?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So a friend of mine uses some skinny webbing (not dyneema) for setting V-threads, and since they fed through so smoothly, I went to buy some for the same purpose. At MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) I asked them for something similar to what my friend had (turns out his something skinny reinforced with Kevlar, anyone know what that's called?). This is what they gave me described below. Last weekend I was leaving rap anchor, and the person I was climbing with was hesitant about rapping off of such skinny nylon. I responded by saying that the staff at MEC had sold me the stuff for v-threads and said it was strong enough. It says its tensile strength is 450kg. with the loss of strength resulting from the knot, I'm not 100% sure about wanting to rap of this stuff. At least with a v-thread I can set a screw backup and then the first person off can watch it. Sunday was off a tree. It held, as I'm here to attest, but am wondering what people's thoughts are.

"JH 1/2" (12.7mm) Milspec Webbing

Weight: 16.0 grams

This 12.7-millimetre (half-inch) webbing is very malleable and has a small diameter -- so itís perfect for a tie-off on aid pieces and pins. It is not as strong as runner strength webbing and is intended only for holding progression, not falls.

* Tensile strength is 450kg."

Was the staff at MEC wrong to sell it as rap material? Should I not be worried?

Nik

gunked

Dec 14, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: 1/2 inch webbing for v-threads? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in agreement. John Howard tie-off is not strong enough for a rap IMO. I only use that stuff for slinging hooks and tieing off pins and such.

That said, if it was all I had and my a$$ was on the line, I would use it carefully. :roll:

-Jason :D

fear

Dec 14, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a bit weak but would probably work for raps. Just be aware that stuff would probably melt very easily from rope getting pulled through it. Might be worth carrying rap rings. You decide. I always use 9/16" real climb-spec webbing. Strength is usually around 2000+ pounds.

Or cord... But the webbing seems easier to snag with the wire...

-Fear

tallnik

Dec 15, 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to find whatever that supertape (or something my buddy used), and will use some rap rings so that others will be able to use it as well. The JH webbing I'll probably use to backup someone else's tat.

Cheers,
Nik

PS - Fear --> aka Fear on NEice.com?

veganboyjosh

Dec 15, 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say the cost/weight savings ain't worth near the consequences of finding out how short of climb spec that stuff is...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook