Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Hueco Access
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dynoguy

Nov 8, 2005, 8:41 AM
Post #1 of 18 (9949 views)
Shortcut

Hueco Access  (North_America: United_States: Texas: West_Texas: Hueco_Tanks_State_Historic_Site)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So what is it like down there. I know you need a guide to climb in 3/4 of the park. but how hard is it to get one? do we need to show up really early? And North Mountain is unguided, but there is a 70 person limit. is it difficult to get a reservation?
Thanks

cacophony

Nov 8, 2005, 9:07 AM
Post #2 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hueco Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sup buddy

Spent a month there in Feb 05, my second month trip to Hueco since the climbing ban, only times i made reservations was for tours to west, east and east spur, but there's TONS on North for you to do. On North there's always walk on spots (10 I believe, line up at the gate) so you just have to be an early riser to get a spot, I just took it to being a night where I only drank 6-8 beers so I could wake up.
Be careful Hueco is very addictive you may not leave until the spring when the rattlesnakes and scorpions come out.
Oh and on your first day , stick to the easy classics (Ghetto Simulator, No one gets out of here alive) its better for your ego (at least it was for mine) Amazing problems, boost your confidence and you'll be in the loop when people talk about the "landing on Ghetto or its crimpy finish"
Have Fun
Keep Pullin Down
Cacophony
Also its not as closed as people think it is, oh and rest lots you'll need it, Hueco is harsh on the body and SKIN!

pindrvr75

Nov 8, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #3 of 18 (9948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the park phone (915)857-1135

dynoguy

Nov 17, 2005, 6:41 AM
Post #4 of 18 (9948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How early should we get our reservations for guided tours or just to get into North Mountain?

climbsomething

Nov 17, 2005, 6:51 AM
Post #5 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How early should we get our reservations for guided tours or just to get into North Mountain?
At this time of year, if you plan on being at North Mtn on a weekend, reservations are best made well in advance.

I am going on Dec. 3-4 and I made my reservations last week.

dynoguy

Nov 17, 2005, 8:20 AM
Post #6 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how do you go about making reservations?

dynoguy

Nov 17, 2005, 8:23 AM
Post #7 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how do I go about making reservations?

climbsomething

Nov 17, 2005, 8:37 AM
Post #8 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call 512-389-8900

When the first menu starts, hit 1. When the next menu starts, hit 1. When the next menu starts, hit 3. Listening to the full menus will suck 60 seconds out of your life that you will never get back.

Have a credit or debit card ready. Know the exact numbers of reservations (# of people, per day.) As a courtesy, if somebody bails on you, phone it in asap so people who might be waiting can snag the spot(s).

Good luck! It's high season right now, I reckon.

dynoguy

Nov 18, 2005, 5:40 AM
Post #9 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful info!
two more questions.

What does it cost to make reservations?
Is the Hueco Rock Ranch the best place to camp? how much does that cost?

climbsomething

Nov 18, 2005, 5:42 AM
Post #10 of 18 (9948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$4/person/day.

Dunno on the Rock Ranch. We usually get a skeezy motel, cos we're kinda anti-social...

piton

Dec 16, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #11 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

looking for beta on how to get by the gate if reservations are full. which they are for January when i'll be out that way for work. i know there are walk ins 10 per day but i like to start at sunrise and end at sunset. so any secret parking spots may help. i don't carry a crash pad and i run real fast pm me thanks

lizard0fthetrail

Dec 16, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #12 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeopardizing access in a place like Hueco Tanks sounds like a great idea, and very beneficial to the rest of the climbing community. Grow up and wait at the gate in the morning.

therealbovine

Dec 16, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #13 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I called to make North Mountain reservations and they are booked solid until late january.

Can anyone recommedn alternatives? Any help would be great. I have researched a dozen web sites and even tried talking to Rob at HRR, with no luck.

I remember the first ten years or so I climbed at Hueco, mush less red tape, we just had to put up with fireworks being thrown in the fire on newyears!

piton

Dec 19, 2005, 1:58 PM
Post #14 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jeopardizing access in a place like Hueco Tanks sounds like a great idea, and very beneficial to the rest of the climbing community. Grow up and wait at the gate in the morning.

i have no problem doing this and i'll even pay double the amount! but if they are all booked and not letting people i will get in to climb! anyway i'll grow when you are able to keep UP

moonshine505

Dec 19, 2005, 3:01 PM
Post #15 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's dickheads like you who come in for one trip a year and think you're above the law because you're incapable of planning ahead that ruin it for everyone else. I don't care if you boulder V0 or V10, everyone else respects the rules at hueco, so don't fuck it up for the rest of us.

baigot

Dec 19, 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #16 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MAn! you have to pay to a guide to go bouldering??? how good is this place to pay a guide to climb a simple boulder????

I donīt know you guys but i would go anywhere else but that place!!!

Itīs funny...pay a guide to boulder!!! jejejejejeejej.

sorry.

vicente

piton

Dec 19, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #17 of 18 (9946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
everyone else respects the rules at hueco, so don't f--- it up for the rest of us.

now that's funny, ha ha ha everyone . plus it's just bouldering not like it's real climbing

ClimbSoHigh

Aug 9, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #18 of 18 (7523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [piton] Hueco Access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funny old thread. Also I'm not sure if it just the last half decade, but I have noticed most climbers not being to concerned with rules, or laws for that matter. I think I have climbed illegally more than legally in the last 10 years, and in my mind it is the damn tort lawyers that screw it all up, not climbers who ignore access rules. If I climbed only where I was allowed, I would be able to climb at only 1 of the 20 cliffs I frequent. The way I see it, rocks are mine for the climbing, I will be courteos to all I meet (even dickhead landowners), I will pick up trash, I will leave no trace other than foot prints and chalk (and the ocasional sling or two), I will help anyone who needs help while I am there including bikers, hikers, and those idiot sport rappelers that give us bad names, but I will not obey no climbing signs. Whats nice though is that I don't screw it up for the rest of people because I never been charged with tresspassing. I have never had and issue and will continue to "f--- it up for the rest of you". I simply don't think I'm screwing it up for anyone, and infact at one cliff that is "closed" I am allowed to climb exclusivly since the landlord caught me tresspassing with a bag a garbage I picked up off his property. After a freindly conversation, he siad I could use his property. Also, i doubt everyone at hueco respects the rules, since you will never know otherwise.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook