RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

vishnuepie

Sep 14, 2001, 1:05 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Next Day Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know when you're weight lifting and certain other sports, you are supposed to take the next day off in order to let the muscles grow stronger...well if i go climbing and then go again the next day, will the first day have been wasted as far as getting stronger is concerned

Partner pianomahnn

Sep 14, 2001, 1:51 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Next Day Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They will build upon each other. If you take two days off, then your muscles should rebuild. But, it all depends on how hard you climb, as well.

So many variables.

vishnuepie

Sep 14, 2001, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

would it be, ud get what muscle growth that happened over the first night, but not a whole rest days worth, and then have the normal amount after the second day

vishnuepie

Sep 17, 2001, 2:19 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone else have any ideas?

rck_climber

Sep 17, 2001, 4:02 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The important thing to remember is even weightlifting can be done every day. You just have to be smart about it.

By that I mean, that if you climb multiple days in a row (like I usually do) it's important to not do two hard days of climbing in a row. You can work your hardest climbs one day and then take a nice relaxing day of fun routes or bouldering, but don't push it.

More than not giving your muscles a chance to get stronger, you are risking serious injury to your muscles and, more importantly, your tendons. Cranking on pockets one day is a great workout, but pushing your luck with a second day on the same types of routes can wind you up in a sling or cast w/ popped tendons or torn muscles.

In fact, some studies (at least for weightlifting that I've read) show that a light workout, or simply stretching out, the day after a really hard workout helps your muscles to recuperate faster. Short of using creatine, andro or straight up steriods (which I definitely do not condone), this is the best way to increase your muscles' tolerance/endurance for climbing.

Remember: Doesn't hurt to climb every day, but remember to climb light after a hard day.

Mick
CLIMB ON!

rck_climber

Sep 17, 2001, 4:10 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About the best comparison I can think of is running.

Being in the military, I get the opportunity to run.....ALOT (since I really don't like to - even though i can, I still don't like it).

You all know that you can run every day without doing any real harm to your body - if you're smart about it. While you can run every day, you should not do sprints everyday, lest you damage your muscles by doing too many "power" workouts in a row; nor should you run more than 8 miles everyday, lest you put undo stress on the joints, ligaments and tendons of the ankles, knees and hips.

The key is to find balance - a light 2 miles on Monday; a quick 4 miles on Tuesday; sprints or circuits on Wednesday; light 2 miles on Thursday; and your LSD run (long slow distance) of 8 miles on Friday.

If you can find this same kind of balance in your climbing, you'll find you have stronger muscles and more endurance on those harder routes.

Good Climbing.
Mick

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook