RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

gore_2_explore

Dec 19, 2005, 2:32 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Best way to remove graffiti from rock?!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently i have found a spectacular boulder with great location and tons of routes...Only to be covered with graffiti. In the spring it is my plan to climb this boulder and establish some routes but before that i would like to clean if off first. Does any one know of a process or a product that works good. It isn't close to electricity or water so pressure washing is out of the question, any minerals that work good. Anyways, after it gets clean it will be called the "Restoration boulder". Thanks in advance for any info.

d1ll1gaf

Dec 19, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best way to remove graffiti from rock?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never cleaned graffiti off of rock, but have cleaned it off of wood, metal and cement. I found that the best product for removing graffiti is hairspray (whatever is cheapest) and a rag.

You get a good arm workout too!!

baigot

Dec 19, 2005, 2:58 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way to clean rocks is, if you have electric power, a high pressure water washer (to clean building walls). I used those artifacts many time and clean good with no effects on the rock.

But... if you are outdoors and there´s no power, use solvents (white gas are efficient and evaporates fast), but could be effects on rock and the enviroment sourrounding.

Good Luck,

Vicente

onbelay_osu

Dec 19, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright

the single best way to clean graffiti is to use hydrochloric acid and a high pressure water gun....the graffiti will go away but in the end you are left with a bleached marking of what once stood there....

understand that this beta comes from my eagle scout project, where i removed over 25 pieces of graffiti accross my town...

michaelmay513

Dec 19, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At Dierkies Lake in Twin Falls Idaho the TF parks and Rec. just painted over the grafitti with brown paint to match the rock. Not recommended.

Good Luck.

lonequail

Dec 19, 2005, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I removed some graffiti from rock as a public service using a solvent and brushes. It was half successful. Unfortunately I don't know the solvent, but you could probably contact Jefferson County Open Space (Denver Colorado area) and eventually find someone who knows.

As a second suggestion you may try a torch - but only if there is no fire danger.

sierraclimber1

Dec 19, 2005, 5:29 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had great success with minimal work and about 10 bucks. Just go to a good hardware store, they sell graffiti removal solvent liquid in spray bottles similar to a "windex" bottle.

There are different manufactures but anything made specifically for graffiti removal will work great. Follow the directions on the bottle and use a nylon brush to avoid scarring the rock. An old towel can help with wiping into spots the brush can't get in. Rinse with water when your done and pat yourself on the back for removing the eyesore!

Grahm

leapinlizard

Dec 19, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't recall the name of it, but if you go to the hardware store, there is a graffiti remover. I have worked closely with the BLM on a number of trail cleanups where we had to do an enormous amount of paint removal from rock, and they were using this stuff that seemed to work really well. I am actually helping organize another major cleanup as of this morning, so I will hopefully get the name of the product for you. Cheers

dirtineye

Dec 20, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is full of bad advice.

First, High powered pressure washers will ruin some kinds of rock for climbing. You can actually chip concrete driveways with a high powered pressure washer, and you certainly will drive pigment down into the rock.

Second, acids hurt some kinds of rock.

Third, solvents will not truly remove the pigment, and you will be left with a shadow of the graffiti. Rubbing with a rag is only going to force the pigment in deeper on any porous rock.

THere is a product called Removall 330 and a few sister products, that actually lift up the binder and pigment, but you need to wash it off with LOW pressure water, and this product is fairly expensive and the process takes a lot of time.

Last, even if you get the boulder to a spotless state, unless you can stop the morons, it won't be very long and your rock will be painted again.

I've been fighting graffiti on rock and looking at removal products for years, and there is no good way, except to keep if from happening in the first place, and barring that, to painstakingly get the crap off with something like the product I mentioned (and a lot of helpers) and then guard the rock 24/7.

Prepare to be dissapointed, cause there are a lot of idiots who will see your clean rock as fresh canvas.

Edit, nobody suggested this yet, but sand blasting is terrible, for obvious reasons.

gore_2_explore

Dec 20, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all for your great advise. I will do a little research myself and make a decision on the best avenue. But fortunately for me the last graffiti was dated from '76. I don't think the local kids hang out here anymore. Again thanks to all, I will post before and after photos once it is clean. Have a Great Holiday.

krazyclimbr

Dec 25, 2005, 7:41 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that holding the freakin tagger @ gun point until he removed every trace with a toothbrush (his own) or his tongue dipped in solvent @ least entertaining if not effective.

rock_fencer

Dec 25, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i suppose acetone or toluene might work. use acetone in lab to clean just about everything. dont know what itd do to the rock or if it would work on paint. Just be sure to handle appropriatly as toluene is not a fun chemical.

T

anykineclimb

Dec 26, 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

power steering fluid.

Seriously. try it out

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook