RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

estebandb

Jun 25, 2002, 12:45 AM
Post #1 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

working for a gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This might be a really stupid question. I have no money to climb as much as i would like to or get some gear. Some ppl say to get a job at a local gym and that sounds great. Only that i don't wanna sound like an idiot because im not really experienced or anything. I don't know if its such a good idea to ask and make a fool of myself lol. Has anyone been in the same situation and wanna help me????

Thanks!

newtocalgary

Jun 25, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #2 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

working for a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of Gyms need belay slaves they pay u to belay the kids and such there they will deduct this pay from an anual pass and u can climb for free as long as u can belay Especially in the summer

fiend

Jun 25, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #3 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the gym where I worked for 5 or 6 years no one ever really applied for a job, almost everyone that worked there was approached by the owner and asked to work.

But... you've got nothing to lose by asking. Most gyms offer birthday party sessions and need people to belay for the children. If you know how to belay then you can at least do that for a while then move up to assisting/teaching lessons after you've been around for a while.

estebandb

Jun 25, 2002, 1:30 AM
Post #4 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those r really good ideas. i never thought of that. Thanx a lot newtocalgary and fiend

beyond_gravity

Jun 25, 2002, 3:02 AM
Post #5 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

newtocalgary, what gym are you talking about?
I e-mailed stronghold and never got a reply from them. They are really bad for that.

aweejolylad

Jun 25, 2002, 3:41 AM
Post #6 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gyms are an excellent place to work, sure ya get free climbing, not to mention going on any trips the place might offer (?), free/reduced rates on stuuf at the proshop (if they got one), however, do NOT rely on them as a dpendable job!! I worked at one for about a year, and my freind i met wokred ther about 2. when our manager (who was a complete dumbass, and never climbed) had a "nervous breakdown", teh health club manager was forced to take over. because our old manager did'nt like us, me and my freind were fired (we've both climbed in yosemite, AZ, CO, AK you name it), and we were replaced by a F****** DITZ!! A CHEERLEADER AND HER BOYFREIND!! niether had ever climbed, didnt know anything, didnt want to learn nor was knowledgeable to teach she was a "belay slave"....turned instructor!!classes....plummeted....yet she still gets tons of money...and they all (except my freind) blame us for all the problems there!!!

ohh damn, i jsut noticed how muc hi vented there!! oh well, point is, come to think of it...NO PLACE COULD BE WORSE THAN MY OLD JOB!!

Hang loose, no hang tight, no dont hang at all!!
Chris

aid312

Jun 28, 2002, 3:29 PM
Post #7 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gyms are a great place to work. Plus you can't beat the Killer Gear Deals

howitzer

Jun 28, 2002, 3:45 PM
Post #8 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I work at the local gym and you should see some of the people they hire! We had to teach one how to belay! The good climbers become instructors and coaches, gyms always need people for birthday parties and staff work. It's a good part time gig, and the pro-deals rock, plus free climbing, go on any trips or outdoor classes they have for free. Not too shabby! I like it!

crux_clipper

Jul 8, 2002, 6:10 AM
Post #9 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few people i know work at the same gym, and thought it would be a cool job. The soon realised that after a day of being 'belay slaves' and instructing groups of 10 year olds, they couldn't be bothered climbing.

I just think wotking at the gym would impact on your climbing.

ggraham

Jul 11, 2002, 12:40 AM
Post #10 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best kind of Gym work is Route Setting........
Unless of course you set a route that everyone bitches about!

rock_climbin_06

Jul 11, 2002, 1:55 AM
Post #11 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea I got asked to work at the Texas Rock Gym by this owner cause he saw me climbing, and yelling at my dad to get up the wall. He asked me to apply but I turned it down. I live a little too far away. But you really should just ask the people they will probably give you a chance! Good luck!

ktwo

Jul 11, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #12 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at the local climbing wall and it is OK. It is actually run by the city, so there is usually no one there, so I sleep and do alot of boulder problems. I set routes and belay for birthday parties too. Its not a bad job, but I am going to look for a job at a place like REI when I move this summer.

rockgymman

Jul 11, 2002, 3:53 AM
Post #13 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A rock gym job, or any other job, is what you make of it, give it your best and you will be treated well !!! But to be a success you must be a people person and be outgoing. I would rather train an enthuastic newbee than hire a 5/13 climbing slacker!!!!! Go for it and good luck!!!

jansuw

Jul 27, 2002, 12:40 PM
Post #14 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if you can call it working as a gym but I help out with our middle schools climbing club. I teach the kids, boulder, set routes, boulder, belay, boulder, help clean up, boulder, go on trips and lead the routes so the kids can top rope, and boulder. It's great. I get paid a little and the teachers decided to get me a harness, but they came up with so much money that I also got a reverso and some draws.

barney_89012

Aug 10, 2002, 8:18 AM
Post #15 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just ask.

xanx

Aug 11, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #16 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am (alas) a belay slave at my gym. i get a discount at our tiny "pro shop" and get to climb for free as long as i work there. Also, you get to know more good climbers, and you sort of can get into the climbing community to go to trips (to gunks). After about 3-4 yrs you can get promoted to counter... they sit on their a$$es all day and watch tv... as for route setting, they let just about anyone set that they like. It is easy work, decent pay, good job.

soulclimberchick

Aug 11, 2002, 4:42 AM
Post #17 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a job voulenteering for day passes @ my gym! I got to sign up for hours whenever I wanted and for every 2hrs i worked i got a day pass! all you have to know is how to belay, you can have someone teach you and take a little test usually and well thats about it, its soo simple! just ask!! GOOD LUCK & Rock On! oh yes and i get discounts on everything too! and with volunteering you dont really have to make any committments...just go in whenever you want! depending on your gym i guess..

~*Kira*~

[ This Message was edited by: soulclimberchick on 2002-08-10 21:45 ]

marcel

Aug 11, 2002, 5:07 AM
Post #18 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I owned and managed a gym for 3 years. I never minded someone asking to work for me as long as they climbed. You would be amazed at how mmany people wanted a job who had never climbed a day in their lives. The only employee I regretted hiring was one of those people who didn't climb. I only hired that person for political reason. So, since your a climber ASK! One more thing, I do know that lots of gyms use volunteers. We never did, for two reason. #1. our insurance company would not allow it. #2. Volunteers are not coverd by workers comp. So, if you do get a volunteer job, make sure you know what you rights and responsibilities are. For instance could you be held responsible if someone gets hurt while you are supervising the gym? As a volunteer you are kind of in limbo. You are neither an employee or a paying customer. Good luck and have fun!

amberlw

Aug 15, 2002, 10:13 PM
Post #19 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Approach the owner, and Good Luck!

bsperes

Aug 23, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #20 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My gym, where I work counter staff and occasional belay slave will hire anyone with both enthusiam and climbing experience. We are not looking to have Sharma behind the desk, just someone who wants to work.

kellebelle

Sep 3, 2002, 12:20 AM
Post #21 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just ask. im only 13 and asked for a job and i got one. according to some people here im a "belay slave" but i dont care cause it makes me money.

djnibs

Sep 3, 2002, 12:32 AM
Post #22 of 22 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now, the only reason i don't want to work at the local gym is because i don't want to get sick of it fast. other wise, when i am climbing there, i help out others, they help me, and everyone is happy. i would just ask, the worst that could happen is they say no. atleast you have tried. what if you don't ask. then you will never know. and if they say no, just ask them why. who knows, good luck

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook