Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
grand canyon?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

eowyn1025

Aug 12, 2002, 8:24 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

grand canyon?  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Grand_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sorry if there's already a thread on this or if the info's somewhere else on the site....didn't have time to search it out:

does anyone know if there are any decent climbing spots in or around the Grand Canyon? (dumb question probably...) i'll be in that area near Christmastime...is that a bad time of year to be climbing outside in that area? haven't been since i was a kid so any info on this would be appreciated...thanx
gwen

[ This Message was edited by: cass on 2002-08-13 04:15 ]

arsenalcrater

Aug 12, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

grand canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Gwen, there are a few developed areas in the Grand Canyon...recorded and unrecorded. We always seem to do a few F.A.'s every year, during our river season on the Colorado, but there are a few areas developed and recorded in the canyon. I'll do my best to help you out.
Climbable weather is found year-round. Your time of arrival might propose a challenge, however, winter days are often very cold and snowy, but warm and cozy days can occur.
As for the Cliffs...here is the "condensed version".
Bright Angel Wall...etc...(as etc...is Wailing Wall, Lower Wailing Wall, Flailing Wall, Medivac Wall, Crumbling' Wall)... Located on the cliff band below the West Rim Trail between Bright Angel Trailhead to the east and Trailview Overlook to the west. Trad and bolts ranging from 5.6 to 5.11...with I'm sure some F.A. potential.

And my favorite in the Canyon is Zoroaster Temple. This is a very serious and remote climb, but if you are coming to the canyon to do such a climb, you won't leave feeling empty. The approach is about 30 miles and along the way you can expect to gain and lose 20,000 feet of elevation. Great training for other stuff. The Northeast Arete is III 5.9- A0, and is five pitches long. The Southwest Face is III 5.9+ and six pitches. I've only done the Northest Arete, but we are gearing to go for the Southwest face this fall. Hope any/some of this beta helped you out. IM or Email me if you'd like more details. Cheers, Arsenal

climbingpride

Aug 12, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as your not planing to be climbing on the North side of the Grand Canyon. It is usualy closed for the winter. Other then that it looks like you got a lot of good info from arsenalcrater.

Good luck in finding routes.

Pride

apollodorus

Aug 12, 2002, 9:13 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang, I already looked this one up for a former topic. Basically, the rock is not so good and there are some restrictions. Why didn't your search find the earlier info?

All the stuff I offered was online, so you can search for it and find it.

evergreen

Aug 12, 2002, 11:18 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey The Canyon is great I spent a year working at the south rim but I say head south to SEDONA! You will love it trust me

djpuckle

Aug 21, 2002, 7:52 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Arsenalcrater,
what's you path to the Zoroaster Temple? Komo Point trail through Obi Canyon or do you come from Cottonwood? I know the Clear Creek trail runs closest but it looks impossable to go north through the Zoroaster Canyon. How long do you figure you'll be camping in Cheyava?
-Sean

climberchic

Aug 21, 2002, 8:33 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM ocotillo. I haven't seen him on the site lately, but you could also visit his website, Arizona Vertical Web for links on how to buy his book on Grand Canyon climbs.

~Erica

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$15.52 (10% off)
$19.76 (10% off)
$107.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook