RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bodyboarder

Jan 11, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

#0 and 00n tcu's safe??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry if there have been other threadsnon this, i coudln't find one that i felt was sufficient. I'm just begining trad climing and with all this stuff about aliens going on i just wanted to know how safe my little tcu's are. They are rated at 4.4 kn.. does this mean they are not good for anything but aid or am i just worrying too much. has anyone ever had one failon them(not as aresult of poor placement). thanks

Jason

skinner

Jan 11, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Re: #0 and 00n tcu's safe?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They are absolutely unsafe for any climbing whatsoever.
please send them to me immediately for safe disposal.
PM me for shipping details 8^)

crimpstrength

Jan 11, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius says the 00 is rated at 6.35 kn.

To answer your question, the entire powercam set from 00 to 7 is on my free rack and I love them.

dingus

Jan 11, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/steeptechniques.htm

Pay particular attention to the 'near full retraction' and the 'double up' advice.

With those smallest cams you have a very, very narrow range of active cam travel. It can be a challenge, for example, with tiny FCU's, to insure all 4 cams are actually in contact with the rock.

I can't tell you what to do, but I would never routinely trust my life to a single 00 or 0 TCU placement. I say routinely cause sometimes its any port in a storm.

Mentally I think of them as aid pieces and short fall... better n' nothing in other words. Some suggest they are better than nothing onll so long as you remember their strength and limitations. Better n' nothing might just give you a false sense of security to take a grounder too.

You're the pilot. Its YOUR gear. YOU have to evaluate this in the context of your climbing. You should do the research, visit the variosu mfg web sites and learn the recommended uses for each and every piece of gear you use.

This is a start of course. But don't just visit Metolius. Check out BD, Pretzl, etc. Read all you can.

Cheers
DMT

crimpstrength

Jan 11, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #5 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus,

Great point,

the petzl catalog is especially helpful, the back section is all recommended uses of their gear, phenominal

pico23

Jan 11, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry if there have been other threadsnon this, i coudln't find one that i felt was sufficient. I'm just begining trad climing and with all this stuff about aliens going on i just wanted to know how safe my little tcu's are. They are rated at 4.4 kn.. does this mean they are not good for anything but aid or am i just worrying too much. has anyone ever had one failon them(not as aresult of poor placement). thanks

Jason

Sort of going back to an unrelated thread, not all climbing equipment is designed for all types of climbing. Chris Harmstom from BD wrote a great thread article on this on rec.climbing way back. Can blue, green and black aliens hold trad falls? Yep. Can the smaller TCU's do the same? Yep. Can the nuts smaller than #4 hold? Yep. THe problem is the margin for error is so slim on these placements that they also are likely to not hold if not placed pretty much perfectly. And because they are so small determining if they are placed in that small but perfect margin is tough. Add in other variables like rock quality/wetness/dirt etc and your definitely betting on the wrong side.

Having these on your rack ISN't an invitation for disaster but you shouldn't rely on them unless necessary. THese smaller cams and tcu's were primarily designed for aiding. I personally carry to the green alien on my trad rack but rarely use it unless it's the only option.

The other thing is, depening on your experience placing gear should you even have these on a trad rack? I pride myself in placing good gear and I seem to have an eye for it but the routes I was leading really didn't require super small cams so I decided having them on the rack was just an invitation to use them in spots I otherwise wouldn't even need them.

dingus

Jan 11, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One additional point to Pico's post... I have personally found that TCU's are easier to place reliably in the tiny sizes when compared to any fcu except in very uniform cracks (which are rare where I climb). A small fcu in a crack only has to move a tiny fraction for one of the cams to perhaps pop into a pocket and disengage. That ability of a tcu to rotate on the center cam instead of walking can be huge (or a liability!).

It all depends of course.

DMT

tweek

Jan 11, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #8 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to add that as a new trad leader you may want to leave them on the ground. They have their place and in free climbing but if you are just learning how to place gear the odds that you will need that piece is relativly small.

I tend to leave mine on the ground just because most times, on the grades that I routinly climb, there is usually a better placement, be it passive or larger cam near by, I just need to look for it. Many times if I had taken them off the ground I would have placed them and missed a much better more bomber placement.

There are climbs that require them and you no doubt will use them in the future.

esallen

Jan 11, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fell 15-20 feet onto a 00 metolius TCU last year; it bent, but it held. Kept me off the deck. It was a good deep placement in a small constriction which may have added extra protection.

Eric

Partner tgreene

Jan 11, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To ease the shockload and performance of a micro, you may wish to consider using a screamer when placing it... :wink:

porcelainsunset

Jan 11, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets put it this way...

I'm sure that they are safer than the aliens that so many of us have been relying on. :lol:

bodyboarder

Jan 11, 2006, 6:18 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, very helpful.

Jason

maldaly

Jan 11, 2006, 7:05 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We've done a lot of field testing of tiny cams in cracks. Here's what we found.

When the cams were placed well retracted in what appeared to be a parallel sided granite crack: Max failure load was around 500 lbf.

When placed in a constriction (like a stopper placement) at full retraction in granite: Cams would fail at or above rated strength.

When placed in any kind of flare or at half-expansion: Cams would pull at verylow and very random forces.

We'd pull the cams with a hydraulic chain puller hooked up to a dial dynomometer and could watch what happened very closely. Generally, when the cams begin to load tiny bits of rock would crumble at the contact points. Then the aluminum would deform slightly. The combination would cause the cam to either slip out or it would invert and break the cam. If the cam is too small for the placement and starts to drag through the rock all kinds of bad stuff can happen. See the "Whipper of the Year" thread on Supertopo for some good visuals. That was a case of placing a too-small cam (Ruby's takes Yellow TCU's perfectly. The first piece to fail was a Blue TCU then the Blue S4 Flex which is also smaller than a Yellow TCU.) in soft rock and having the placement fail. It's amazing that the guy didn't suffer more than bruised ribs. He said he's going to send me that cam but I still haven't seen it.

We get higher strengths in test fixtures because we're not dealing with rock that crumbles. BTW, wet IC sandstone is waaaay weak. Consider any cam placement A3.

Mal

Partner brent_e

Jan 11, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're worried about your purple and grey TCU's throw a screamer on them....but screamers don't solidify rock, keep the lobes glued in place, etc.

good luck

Brent

tslater

Jan 11, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #15 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was belaying a friend up at Kernville Slab and he fell on a 5.10c finger crack on the purple Metolius tcu (in granite) and it did not hold. It blew like a mother and was all tweaked. Maybe it was/wasn't set well? (As well as can be set while hanging from a finger lock.) But the second cam held him (yellow Met). Redundancy saves lives.

Partner gunksgoer

Jan 11, 2006, 8:29 PM
Post #16 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, cams that small can hold falls, and are safe if used correctly in the right rock by people who have experience using them. You did however say that you are new to the trad game, in which case i wouldnt recommend relying on these guys. Wait till you have some more experience before you start playing with micro gear. Besides, if you need to plug in a 00 tcu on a 5.6, chances are your missing the better placement.

crackers

Jan 12, 2006, 8:25 AM
Post #17 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would second whoever said double them up if possible, and Mal and Gunksgoer's advice.

They're really damn small and you want to give them all the help you can. I've gone big on them, but i like to have something else near them. I've seen them fail too, and it's not fun.

Partner tgreene

Jan 12, 2006, 8:41 AM
Post #18 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My feeling is that you would be well advised to spend time learning to place (and trust) larger gear before EVER venturing into the micros... You life, or that of your partners, may very well depend upon it.

I'm just now wading into the realm of micros, but it's because I'm venturing into 9's and 10's. Until this point, I've placed tiny stoppers instead of tiny cams, and actually took a nasty fall onto a BD #4 nut a couple of weeks ago, which held like a champ! In that particularly bizarre placement, I'm certain a micro-cam would have easily blown and dropped me to my death... As is, it was a 20 footer that was caught by a backup re-direct, leaving me hanging upside down 12-15 feet above a very rocky deck! :shock:

Additionally, the safest way to test specific gear, would be to establish a system that uses 2 ropes & belayers. 1 to belay you as a normal trad belay, and the other on a top rope with just enough slack to allow you to fully weight a placement, yet still cfreate a safe catch... You are however likely to get banged up in the process, unless this is is setup on an overhanging route, but you are at least assured of a good catch via the TR.

soulsurfer

Jan 12, 2006, 8:49 AM
Post #19 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have fallen on the Met O tcu twice and both times they have held me. Neither fall was longer than 7' and both were at J-tree. This means nothing really though. Next time it might not hold.

In general I never trust 1 piece to save my life. I may trust that 1 piece from taking a big fall but not my life. I don't use the #OO because I don't like the very small range it has. I use micronuts/RP's at that point and love them.

healyje

Jan 12, 2006, 8:50 AM
Post #20 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Small pro of any kind requires careful consideration of potential placements, a good understanding of the quality and characteristics of rock you are dealing with, and an eye for minute details when making the actual placement. Small cams in particular are easy to place badly while sketching and when they end up under cammed, which is quite common under those circumstances, they blow real easily. If you aren't in a position to pay close attention to the details when placing small pro you probably shouldn't be doing it and/or should treat it as highly suspect for the duration. Utilizing small pro effectively is definitely a craft that takes time to develop.

jeremy11

Jan 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #21 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Besides, if you need to plug in a 00 tcu on a 5.6, chances are your missing the better placement.

thats right... well, most of the time. I found a 00 metolius fcu fixed on a 5.6 at the new river gorge. I clipped it of course, but there was enough other gear around. unfortunately my hour or more trying to booty it did not get it out :cry:

and yes, gunksgoer, rodgers rock is amazing! I climbed little finger this summer (and incidentally, placed my smallest trango flexcam as part of an anchor...)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook