RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

koravas

Aug 13, 2002, 5:30 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Rotator Cuff Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few months ago I was climbing and I did a move where my right shoulder was going from above my head to about waist level on the right side of my body. The move wasn't real hard but I felt and herd what I can only describe as kind of a grinding of something, but not something hard like bone. I let go right away mostly because I was worried I tore something in my shoulder, but there was almost no pain when or after it happened and I could still move my shoulder normally, it just felt a bit weak. So seeing that there didn't seem to be anything wrong I did something stupid and tried to keep climbing. So I did a few moves cautiously, seemed ok, then I put some weight on it and immediately felt a sharp pain, possibly a pop but definitely not a dislocation or break. So I stopped climbing, my shoulder started to get sore to move, so I went to the doctor to find what happened. They x-rayed and told me they couldn't find anything and they thought I pulled a muscle in my rotator cuff (subscapalris [-misspelled). So I rested it and did shoulder exercises and after about a month I was climbing normally on it. I was told that it healed pretty fast and my shoulder would probably be none the worse because of it.

All was fine until yesterday and I was out bouldering and the same thing happened. Same grinding of my shoulder sensation with no pain. My friends asked if I was ok, apparently they could hear the sound as well, and they confirmed that it sounded like grinding. This time I stopped climbing on it right away and after a few hours it started to get a bit sore, I still have full range of motion with it, its just a little slow and sore when I move it.

So now I'm wonder what I did to my shoulder. Is it really is a pulled muscle or something else. What should do to rehabilitate it and most importantly how do I keep it from happening again. I would also like to mention that I can not make it hurt by pushing on any part of my shoulder.

Sorry for making this so long but I wanted to explain it the best I could. If anyone has had experience with this injury or knows anything about it please let me know. The doctors don't seem to help much.

[ This Message was edited by: koravas on 2002-08-12 22:33 ]

traide

Aug 13, 2002, 5:46 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Rotator Cuff Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is Dr Pete making his rounds tonight?:p

As with any injury that infringes on one's ability to climb, more climbing right now is probably the worst thing you can do. I know that it might be hard to take, but climbing more has the possibility of making the injury more severe. Rest it up, give it some mild excercise on a regular basis, and don't use it for a while. Your body will heal itself, you just have to give it the opportunity to do so.

apollodorus

Aug 13, 2002, 6:05 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is almost no joint of the body that has more little ligaments, and is more vulnerable than the shoulder. The rotator cuff is only a player in the big picture.

Seeking medical advice for a shoulder injury here is not your best move.

And I hate to be the one to say it, but orthopedic injuries usually take a long time to heal. You can gouge your hand and be climbing next week, but ligaments, well, ...

I had to stop skateboarding in swimming pools when I dislocated my shoulder. It was about five years before I started playing tennis as a way of rehabbing the overhead throw motion to the shoulder (I was conservative, on this one .. . .)

aelita

Aug 13, 2002, 6:45 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, sorry ot hear it, although I can relate with my five years of shoulder problems. If the injury repeats like that definately figure out which moves lead to it and avoid them! repeating them will only injure you more. If it is a rotator cuff injury, (more likely a pull from repetitive movement that makes the tendon and the bersa swell) you can create a tear if you keep doing it. I found that Physical Therapy and a ;lot of strengthening of my back and arm muscles as well as really working on avoiding overhead moves helps me. (makes my climbing slightly handicapped on the right side though) but then again, my shoulder has lots of problems aside from bersa/rotator cuff tendon stuff.

good luck! and always ALWAYS get a second opinion (third and fourth if need be).

overlord

Aug 13, 2002, 8:15 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not really related but...
have you seen the Road Trip movie???

"engines have rotator splits"

CLIMB On

koravas

Aug 14, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wasn't that rotator splint?

msecoda

Aug 15, 2002, 12:09 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dislocated my shoulder and had a slight fracture in my shoulder blade last year. I could do nothing with my shoulder at all. Every now and then I would try to hit the gym and do some military presses with light weight and 4 months after the injury it still hurt. But as all things do heal with time, it took about 7 months to be able to work out and 8 months I started climbing again. I am still taking it a little easy. (just over a year later)

Point is; shoulder injuries are slow healing. I just dislocated it but all of my tendons and ligaments were stretched and my shoulder (when weighted would try to pull back out) Take it easy and see a doctor, if he does not know what is wrong, see another doctor.

medic3

Aug 15, 2002, 2:27 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rest, ice, motrin, get a diagnoses from an orthopod, rehab to build strength in your shoulder.....don't climb if you have pain, "no pain, no gain" is a crock of sh$t...the shoulder joint is complex, do yourself a favor and get an mri and go from there, good luck.

tinyball

Aug 15, 2002, 3:14 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 5 months ago I tore a ligament in my ankle. I went to the emergency room and they said it was a sprain. A week later however, I still could not walk. I went to another doctor and he told me it required surgery to fix. After surgery, 1 month in a cast and 1 month in a spaceboot (I now cringe when I see crutches by the way) I started climbing again with a really skinny leg.
The point here is that the first doctor may not have known what was really going on, so definitely get a second opinion. Don't be disheartened if it requires surgery to fix, that just means you can train with your other arm. Lockoffs and one arm pullups rule!

metatype

Aug 15, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go see a physical therapist. I've been seeing one for my knee...doing stretches, ultrasound, massage, etc. After about a month it's getting back to normal.

A general practictioner will probably just tell you to take some ibuprofen (i-be-broken) and rest. Not much good, IMO.

zippera5

Aug 15, 2002, 3:41 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unfortunately i can relate. this past sat. i was cranking downhill on my mtn. bike and took a 42mph dive! it really sucked. luckilly i'm still alive. and my bike is not too badly farked up. i was in this little hic town and the "doctor" proceeded to hit me in the shoulder to see if it hurt! i have been trying to get a doctor but they are all booked up for about 2-3 weeks! i'm going to try one on my lunch break today.
i also sprained my foot just behind my pinkey toe a month and a half ago and am still rehabing that. and there has been other injuries this summer. a very painful summer. the only thing i can do is take it slow and stay positive.good luck with your injury.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook