Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

rwaltermyer

Aug 13, 2002, 11:33 PM
Post #1 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

UPDATE: PA Gathering @ Birdsboro
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

OFFICIAL STATEMENT
My fellow RC.com climbers:
It is my unfortunate responsibility to inform you that the gathering will not occur as originally scheduled on Friday, Nov 1st to Sunday, Nov, 3rd. Allow me to explain:

As popularity of the gathering increased, concern was raised by the climbing community that such an event would stress the access sensitivity of Birdsboro. Ten years ago, the area was opened after much negotiations. After that, sensitivity remained in limbo. However, with time, the access today is quite lax. Nonetheless, PA climbers are all too familiar with access problems. Gems like Safe Harbor, Sex Wall, and Governor Stables are---or once closed as a result of access issues. And it is no one’s intention for such a place as Birdsboro to once again be added to the list.

When such a concern was raised, Mitch and myself began to investigate. Our finding from Birdsboro Town Hall were quite positive. However, under the advise of the Access Fund, we were required to receive written permission for such an official gathering to take place. Unfortunately, in regards to obtaining an approval through the legal matters we were given definite answer. Birdsboro town hall is researching the matter, but they have not made any promises. Under such uncertainty in regards to how long such a process would take, we are forced to inform everyone of this situation and officially call off the gathering. However, it should be stated that climbing is still permitted at Birdsboro. Please keep in mind these concerns! Be responsible and courteous!

In retrospect, talk of the gathering has raised concerns which needed to be addressed; efforts are underway to reform the Birdsboro Access Committee which will bridge conversation between the town and climbers, the Access Fund and the Pennsylvania Alliance of Climbers. Furthermore, it is our hope that certain improvements will be the result of continued effort of the part of the climbing community.

Mitch has told me that he is still offering his backyard for those that would like to get a taste of some of the other areas in SE PA. If the weather turns sour, a possible indoor gathering at Cliffhangers in Reading (15 minutes from Birdsboro) is still being considered. Furthermore, I understand that other impromptu gatherings are in the works. Please PM myself or Mitchal for more information and any concerns.

Once again we apologize for such an inconvenience. Stay tuned to RC.com for future details regarding access, initiatives, etc.

Climb on—responsively—my fellow climbers,
Randy

Stuff that doesnt't matter anymore....welcome to the Birdsboro Gathering Command Post. I'm going to keep all the vital information on this first posting so we don't all have to dig through this huge thread.

Please continue to post questions and concerns.
LINKS: BACK TO GATHERING LISTING
CAMPING THREAD
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
WILL YOU BE THERE ON FRIDAY
LUNCH SIGNUP
FOOD THREAD
CAMPING

FrequentlyAskedQuestions
(No need to look through 100+ posts!!!) :
What kind of climbing does Birdsboro offer?
Mitchal describes the climbs as nearly three dozen granite sport climbs ranging for 5.6 to 13. These climbs also have toprope potential for the newbies.

Where can I stay?
Mitchal(mitchal) has offered his backyard for camping.

Nate(mmindtrap) says "Ok, here is what I hava avalable for lodging: One futon bed that can sleep two people, One foam mat that is the size of a twin bed, and one couch. Floor space is also avalable if anyone wants that, or if you own a cot.
Just let me know if you want to stay at my place, and we can make the necessary plans.
-Nate-"
Also, camping is available at French Creek State Park. However, alcohol is forbidden at the state park.

** Get Directions to Mitch's or Nate's by clicking on their name and sending them a PM!

What about food?
We've concluded that we're going to meet at Dante's Depot in our FOOD THREAD. Meeting Time: 7 PM. Saturday breakfast will be made seperately at Mitch and Nate's place. For lunch, if interest is shown, lunch meat can be bought locally to make subs at the rock. Saturday dinner will consist of a Chili Cook-out; we are considering other alternatives for the dinner, for those of us who don't like chili. Let us know with your ideas! Sunday breakfast and lunch will basically be the same as Saturday and Sunday dinner, for most, will be on their way home!

What about all this access talk?
Just come as a responsible climber aware that we want to represent RC.com and the climbing community as well as possible, leaving only footprints!

Directions?

Where are we meeting?
For the Friday crowd, we're meeting at Dante's Depot for dinner @ 7PM. If you follow the same directions as listed for the rock area, you find Dante's located on the right after you ignore the detour signs for Rt 82 South. PM who ever you're staying at to discuss whether you're going to drop in before we meet to eat. (And maybe a quick pump session at the rock beforehand!)

Saturday, you can park at Hay Creek and follow the signs into the rock (about a 10 easy minute walk). Anne has assured everyone that the signs will be easy to follow and you'll run into everyone at the rock face.

We've listed where everyone is coming from in case you need a ride!

Attendee's as 10/16/02:

From PA:
rwaltermyer:Randy + twin bro...West Chester
climbinganne:Anne.............Camp Hill
mitchal:Mitch.....................Reading
mmindtrap:Nathan + 2 Guests..." "
bement:Andrew........................" "
noosphere:Brian...............Philadelphia
oakleymax15:Max...............Philly
gblauer:Gail......................Philly
gbjr78:Gary.....................Chester
pusherem:Eric.................Pottstown
chris1313:Chris..............Lancaster (+2 Guests)
peanutbutterandjelly:Todd...." "
evs786:Evan......................" "
rondij:Joe........................." "
fossilrock:Rashell..............East Petersburg
number7.........................Ephrata
mprediger:Michael.............Shrewsbury
dynov7...........................Pottstown
chakan:Gregg...................Hazleton (+2 guests)
paone:Steve....................Smethport
msecoda:Michael...............Southhampton
miles: Mark......................Bath
jeffe:Jeff.......................Blakeslee
jeepchic:Amber..................Palmyra
snibdogg20:Cary................Gettysburg
charley:Bill......................Mercer
lostangel:Dianna...............Altoona
tanderson:Tim...................Acme (SW PA)
aelita:Irina.....................Pittsburgh
eightdirtypaws:Mike.............. Glen Rock

From Maryland:
charrock:Charlie................Baltimore
erica44.............................Ft. Mead
clymberboy:Pat....................Severn
From Ohio:
betaben:Ben.....................Crooksville

From NJ:
clymber:Lew.....................Northeast(+ Inu)
iridesantacruz:Chris...........Morris County

From NC:
Dondiego & Miss Dondiego....Fayetteville

From VA:
howitzer:Abi + guest & dog ..Alexandria

From NY:
chrizstoff:Chris...................NYC

From CA:
rrradam & ikaren:adam and karen bingle

Orginal post:
Where sounds good? With the recent success i've been hearing from regulars like Mitchal, Anne, and Kagunkie, I'm excited to brainstorm for some events for the fall!
God Bless and Climb Hard
Randy

[ This Message was edited by: rwaltermyer on 2002-10-28 20:11 ]

miagi

Aug 13, 2002, 11:45 PM
Post #2 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

UPDATE: PA Gathering @ Birdsboro [In reply to]
Report this Post

well, im in Ohio 10 min outside the SW border of PA. If you guys get something going in SW, let me know

mitchal

Aug 13, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #3 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi,
Randy has come up with a good idea.I had a campout attempted this spring,no-one committed and it had to be canceled.I have met and climbed with a bunch of the folks here this summer and it was nothing short of phenominal.Let's get together and,,,get together.
Climb Happy
Mitch

clymber

Aug 13, 2002, 11:54 PM
Post #4 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

well im not from PA but i would go....as for a plave for a gathering as far as i know theres not alot of places for a long time of climbing... you have the
deleware water gap(helmet suggested)
ralph stover , bellefonte, donation,chickies
a few places near scranton,haycock for bouldering and thats all i can think of

chris1313

Aug 19, 2002, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I have 3 of us who would do a fall outing in the eastern part of PA and depending on the weekend. We have kids every other weekend. Please keep me posted!!

lostangel

Aug 19, 2002, 2:03 PM
Post #6 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I live near state college PA and would be willing to go just as long as it isnt during the NH gathering cause I am going to that too... so keep me posted.

rockhopper

Aug 23, 2002, 4:01 PM
Post #7 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If your looking for a good place talk to the guys at the wilkes -barre rock gym there route setters are out every weekend. They would know a good place for a gathering. Expect me there if you get one going. To reach the gym go to www.wbcg.net

mitchal

Aug 24, 2002, 8:00 PM
Post #8 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanksgiving weekend sounds good to me.It is awful late in the fall though,don't you think?If it's a day off extra during the weekend you were hoping for,most people don't get that day anymore,damned employers are too stingy.
I'm good for any weekend after 10-13.
How 'bout some more suggestions,then a vote.
Climb Happy
Mitch

paone

Aug 25, 2002, 11:28 AM
Post #9 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Early this spring Miagi and I both attended a get together in Dunbar, PA (south western PA) at a place the locals call the Lost Crag. Some more of you might have been there as well? Anyway, a few local climbers there have done an awesome job setting a batch of sport and trad routes and have put a ton of time (and money) into mapping out the crag and the routes. There are at least 65 routes in this small area (but no real multi pitch stuff). There are also several other small crags located within an hour's driving from the Lost Crag and Ohiopyle State Park is right down the road offering camping, biking, hiking, and rafting. Everyone should check out Tim Anderson's web site : www.climbpa.com . Look under "Rock Climbing PA" and click on "Western PA Crags". You'll find Lost Crag and several other Dunbar areas there. Since it's in southern PA the camping and climbing should still be nice and warm in September and early October.

noosphere

Aug 25, 2002, 4:33 PM
Post #10 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey, this sounds like a great idea.
I would love to help out as much as I can.
I'll have to find out dates that I can do it though.

Quick question, since I'm still relatively new at this, do you guys mind me tagging along? I can be the belay bitch!
I would love to learn as much from other people as much as possible.

climbinganne

Aug 25, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #11 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

guys, he's all mine, you hear ???...i love my new belay bitch!!!!!

noosphere

Aug 25, 2002, 4:54 PM
Post #12 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Am I going to have to bring some sort of tazer stick to keep people away?

climbinganne

Aug 25, 2002, 5:18 PM
Post #13 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

with this crew...hell yeah!!!

peanutbutterandjelly

Aug 25, 2002, 9:51 PM
Post #14 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I would be willing to do something. The middle 2 weekends of November would work for me. Thanksgiving might work depending on the day. There is one thing that must happen if we do this and that is we have to get lost.

noosphere

Aug 26, 2002, 12:25 AM
Post #15 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Sorry to interupt this thread.

This has nothing to do with getting together to climb, but instead getting together to camp and get drunk. A local bar that my band plays at has a party every year that anyone is invited to. You can check it out at http://www.thenail1.com. It is called Wheelstock. The event is completely free, but you have to be 21 or older. I'd be willing to transport a few people from Philadelphia. It's really cool to camp out with a bunch of friends and get together with people you don't know. FREE BEER, FREE FOOD!

PM me if interested.

evs786

Aug 26, 2002, 1:16 AM
Post #16 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

how about a get together at tucquan overhangs? there is camping at the pequea campgrounds and is only a short drive from the nature preserve. Its one of my fav. places. If not there, maybe at chickes? Just a thought. Ill be sure to show in the fall if I can get there, sounds like a lot of fun.

rwaltermyer

Aug 26, 2002, 5:33 PM
Post #17 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

not to knock to the T-Hangs but theres not that much to get excited about. Sure, the bouldering is decent, but that's it. And the only reason that the locals go there is because there's nothing else open cuz of the railroad. Even Chickies seems limiting, I'd like to head elsewhere, expand my horizons....

How about up around Mocanaqua, I hear theres is tons of rock. Stoney Ridge has a zoo full (actually 65 or so) sport and trad routes, short but great! Ummm....not sure where else to recommend. As for dates, anytime sounds good. Lets not plan TOO far into November, we don't want to be climbing in Football whether. Also, keep in mind of hunting...they're in full swing by Thanksgiving if that matters.

God Bless,
Randy

PS. Its exciting to hear the great response from the PA Gang. Keep your eyes and ears posted about the Governor Stables Bouldering Comp in the Spring. Definitely AWESOME! We had atleast 100 climbers there for the FIRST COMP. I can't wait to see the numbers for next...

msecoda

Aug 26, 2002, 7:26 PM
Post #18 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I might be interested depending on when it is. Watch out for Thanksgiving weekend as that Saturday starts rifle season for deer. Let me know when and where I am defintely interested.

Climb safe

clymber

Aug 26, 2002, 8:26 PM
Post #19 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Near Moconagua you also have Paradise and the Library
Paradise has trad and sport
The Library has harder sport 5.9 to 5.13

paone

Aug 27, 2002, 1:47 AM
Post #20 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Here are SOME of the hunting season dates for this fall that we should consider when deciding when and where to climb:
Oct. 5- Nov. 16 Archery
Oct. 19-26 Antlerless deer -Muzzleloader

Climbing at The Lost Crag (my orignal suggestion) might not be a good idea during these times because the crag lies on State Game Lands regulated by the PA Game Commission.

Let's do something in September. Central sounds good so noone is stuck crossing the entire state on their scant free time

Hey, Anne, Thanksgiving will be the week following NOVEMBER 18, not October. ~

rwaltermyer

Aug 27, 2002, 3:04 PM
Post #21 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I like the idea of shickshinny/mocanaqua....i've only been to the main wall (according to the Dbase) which has the infamous table rock at the entrance and the Pizza Route. How does that sound for Western PA guys? How is access at the other spots, Library, etc?

How about the weekend of October 25th, since that would be after the gatherings which Anne brought to our attention.

noosphere

Aug 28, 2002, 11:34 AM
Post #22 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The 25th is no good for myself, but if everyone else can do it I'll just show on the 26th.

How about Nov. 1, 2, 3?

HeHe 123

climbinganne

Aug 28, 2002, 11:58 AM
Post #23 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

ALRIGHTY...i knew i messed up with the oct thanksgiving and was waiting to see who was gonna catch that one...hmmmmmmmm, steve!!!!
shoot i dunno what day it is...let alone what month thanksgiving is in...teehee!!!

here is my suggestion...

Birdsboro...free camping and only paintball hunting allowed...enough climbing for all of us for a weekend and never need to wait "in line"...there is a variety of sport routes.
close to town and a sweet little park to eat and gather by the creek...

there's trad and other sport near by at neversink...and i am game for any weekend before or after the first two weekends in oct!!!

it is relativly safe for children {i have two which will prolly be with me} for those other parents out there and parents of dogs (hint hint...clymber)....they are also welcome there!!!!

****but clymber (lew) sounds like he knows about another place...how about some more beta..lew, about camping and bla bla bla...kids and dog friendliness....

welp off to west viginia today for the long weekend...ill be checking in if the old computer is working down there...

thank you all for your responses, sounds like this may be a nice gathering, AND IT'S ABOUT TIME FOLKS!!!!

wishing everyone health and happiness til we all meet up!!!!! ~anne

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-08-28 05:03 ]

jeepchic

Aug 28, 2002, 12:18 PM
Post #24 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i would also love to join you guys! i live just east of Hershey. i climb a lot at Chickies, the Quarry in Reading, and Rocks State Park in Maryland, but i am willing to travel anywhere in PA to climb! this weekend we are headed out to the Pittsburgh area. keep me posted!

[ This Message was edited by: jeepchic on 2002-08-28 05:20 ]

mmindtrap

Aug 28, 2002, 12:25 PM
Post #25 of 415 (18814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi there, I'm from reading, and I would like to join in on this gathering.

If it were my choice, we should go to High Rocks(Ralph Stover). Birdsboro is nice but it can be really hard on your hands in the later months because no sun shines on the walls.

Well, where evre is decided, I will be sure to attend.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook