Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Need Crag advice for Boulder/Denver CO area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

smike

Jan 19, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Need Crag advice for Boulder/Denver CO area  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Boulder_Area: boulder_canyon_bouldering)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be in the Denver and Boulder area in mid-march, and was hoping I'd be able to get some climbing in. I'm bringing a newbie, so I was hoping some of you would be able to give me some advice on where to go for some good bouldering and/or toproping areas (assuming it'll be warm enough to climb in mid-march!). I'm only going to be able to fly in with one crashpad, so that might influence where I can go too...

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated... oh, and possibly on-line topos? Thanks!

atg200

Jan 20, 2006, 6:30 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need Crag advice for Boulder/Denver CO area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingboulder.com will have the best online info.

you have a ton of choices. for toproping, my favorite is castlewood canyon on the SE side of denver. relatively short conglomerate climbs with easy toprope access. fun place. lots of other places exist, but nowhere else has so much so concentrated.

for bouldering, there is an enormous amount. near boulder, check out mt sanitas and flagstaff(i'm assuming fairly easy bouldering - sanitas has good easy stuff with friendly landings). in denver, morrison has a small handful of easy stuff and loads of harder, and castlewood canyon has a lot of excellent bouldering too.

Partner cindylou

Jan 25, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need Crag advice for Boulder/Denver CO area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of areas I would recommend that are kind to newbies (I'm a newbie). The first two are in Boulder Canyon; Happy Hour Crag has several easier routes, 5.6 to 5.7. Nip and Tuck also has some easy 5.6 routes and the approach is minimal. Step out of your car, walk 10 feet and climb.

The other place is called Lookout Mountain. The approach for this one is even easier. Park the car and throw your rope out the window. Lookout has 6's and 7's.

I haven't ever toproped Castlewood but I've tried the bouldering and its excellent. Also, Morrison is a great bouldering spot ( I do the easy 200' traverse about 2' off the ground) and its in the sun all day.

Post on the Front Range Climbing Partners thread when you get to town. One of us will show you around.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook