Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
What gear to bring?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

meridian

Oct 30, 2005, 1:23 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2092 views)
Shortcut

What gear to bring?  (Europe: England: Peak_District: Stanage_Edge__OS_: Stanage)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking of going to teach English in Thailand in 2006, and I was wondering what gear I should leave behind?
I see that most of the climbing is sport, so harness, helmet, belay device & draws are a sure thing, but should I bring my rope? Can you get one there cheap?
I was also wondering about Trad gear, I really prefer to go Trad but the idea of lugging my rack to Thailand doesn't excite me. I assume I can pick up nuts and hexes there, so maybe I should bring some tri-cams, or should I just give up on the idea of going Trad there?

rickeden

Nov 1, 2005, 3:51 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: What gear to bring? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of climbing shops in Bangkok where the gear is about the same price as Europe. The only problem is that you don't have the choice!! I would bring all my gear with me for sports climbing. If you like trad climbing there are a few farang climbers you could team up with. The only problem is that you's have to make anchor to come down on or do a long multi-pitch and then try to find your way down. Most of the rock in Thailand is Limestone.
Trad gear to buy in Bangkok is expensive, but Singapore is a cheap place to buy gear.

meridian

Jan 21, 2006, 1:18 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm, now I have to figure out how to cheaply bring my trad rack! ;)

I live in Southern Ontario in Canada, and all the climbing around here is on limestone so I'm used to tradding on it.
Are there many crack climbs or is it all pockets? If there are alot of crack climbs I can leave my cams at home and just bring my nut and hex sets which would help on the weight!

Thanks again!

rickeden

Jan 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend here who uses his cams all the time. There isn't any big cracks. just some short little ones. It is mainly pockets But if you trad climb here you would have to bolt an anchor as the crag faces are hard to top out on. some are 70 to over 100 metres in height. also the problem with thick bush. access to many crags has been cut through thick bush.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook