Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

eric_t83

Jan 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #1 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Springs to assist jumping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you think about adding springs or other mechanisms to a line setup to improve jumping height?
Would it work?
If it did, I think it would be a nice little addon that could expand the sport a little bit further.

veganboyjosh

Jan 23, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #2 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Re: Springs to assist jumping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do you think about adding springs or other mechanisms to a line setup to improve jumping height?
Would it work?
If it did, I think it would be a nice little addon that could expand the sport a little bit further.

this guy is proof that we don't need no stinking springs.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 23, 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #3 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, thanks Josh. :oops:

I think springs would have more of a dampening effect, and would therefore be a detriment to launching, rather than a help. The line is already very springy, and in my own experience, I find that I often have trouble getting it tight enough to launch me like I want. Springs would add more softness to the line, which wouldn't be good for pushing up when I push down.

Compare this situation with a normal garden-variety backyard trampoline and one of those olympic rectangular ones. The olympic ones are much stiffer, and in fact hardly seem to bend when you stand on them, but they sure launch you higher when you jump. :)

scottquig

Jan 23, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #4 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you might get it to work if you had very stiff springs (like on an olympic trampoline) and strung the line a little higher off the ground. I don't think soft springs would have so much of a damping effect, just not enough force compared to the stretch (k) to help you out that much.

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 23, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #5 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you thread the line and get it really really tight, you will get all the air you can handle.
Josh was right, John gets the biggest airs most of us have EVER seen. Your time might be better spent picking his brain on his rigging and air technique, instead of adding the EXTRA reverberation potential of springs, to an already reverberating line, just to get the air he already gets.

cintune

Jan 23, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #6 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try it and see.

http://www.xmission.com/~layne/CoyoteGenius.gif

areyoumydude

Jan 23, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #7 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tighter the line the higher you fly.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=34972

Springs would do the opposite.

veganboyjosh

Jan 23, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #8 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hot dp action up in this...

veganboyjosh

Jan 23, 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #9 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the larger the cowboy hat, the slower you come down.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=34972

Springs are irrelavent.

areyoumydude

Jan 23, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #10 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it cheating to wear a cowboy hat?

skinnyclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #11 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it possilbe to "double bounce" people like on a trampoline? It makes you jump higher then... also sounds scary.

skinny

eric_t83

Jan 23, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #12 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Impressive picture, coldclimb! wow...

I know what you mean that adding soft springs would get you more like a dampening effect, but I think that if you add the springs after the line is tightened and use tight springs, you could get more air out of it.
Maybe you'd have to use another, less elastic, material than nylon webbing, though.
Another idea is to have some kind of elastic anchors. That would definitely launch you higher in the air than the just line itself, but is of course a more elaborate setup.
The extra vibration and stuff is something I'd have to take into account, but couldn't that be fun as well? Wobbly slacklining? :lol:

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having a project this semester as part of my master's degree in engineering, and we have to come up with something new that has to do with extreme sports(if slacklining even could be described as an extreme sport is another discussion..). This could be a project that could give me enough stuff to work with for the semester, and be fun as well! And, I don't have any other good ideas... :)
Don't you think it would be fun to at least try?

eric_t83

Jan 23, 2006, 7:05 PM
Post #13 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you thread the line and get it really really tight, you will get all the air you can handle.
Josh was right, John gets the biggest airs most of us have EVER seen. Your time might be better spent picking his brain on his rigging and air technique, instead of adding the EXTRA reverberation potential of springs, to an already reverberating line, just to get the air he already gets.

"More air than I can handle" isn't part of my vocabulary.. :wink:
Rigging technique is definitely something I could work on, though... so since you brought it up, what kind of rigging system does John use? Ratchets? Pulleys? His dog? His grandmother?:)

veganboyjosh

Jan 23, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #14 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what kind of rigging system does John use? Ratchets? Pulleys? His dog? His grandmother?:)

hold on, i'll ask him.

--coldclimb, what kind of rigging do you use to get your lines so tight?--

i'll let you know when he responds, eric.

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 23, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #15 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They never let me do something as fun as slackline for my engineering degree. And highlining certainly is an extreme sport, if slacklining doesn't qualify,.

eric_t83

Jan 23, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #16 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
what kind of rigging system does John use? Ratchets? Pulleys? His dog? His grandmother?:)

hold on, i'll ask him.

I'm sorry, I don't remember asking you? :wink:

Partner coldclimb

Jan 23, 2006, 9:07 PM
Post #17 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

hold on, i'll ask him.

I'm sorry, I don't remember asking you? :wink:

Alright, I'll bite. That line was about fifty feet long and threaded with 9/16. We tightened it with a slackjack (www.slackline.net) with a slackdog on the tail to multiply the 6:1 system once, and had me and a guy named Kelsey pulling. On ice by the way, that's a frozen lagoon. We used 2x4 A-frames of Scott Balcom's design, and our anchors were two big bollards chipped with axes and tied off with whatever spare webbing I had. No springs anywhere. ;)

I tried to phrase my earlier reply kindly, but this time I'll give it to you straight. :lol:

A spring of ANY sort could only make your jump smaller, UNLESS it was tighter than the line itself, in which case, why not just use a threaded line, as we did in the above mentioned photo? The line itself is pretty darn tight, but still stretches, and that stretch is what gives you your air. A spring of any sort could only dampen that stretch, giving you less rebound when you push down. It wouldn't work to help you go higher. Sorry. ;)

As for double bouncing like on a trampoline, yes that is theoretically possible, and wow you'd get some crazy airs, but you have to have two people good enough to BOTH jump on ONE line, one JUST before the other. I'll make a bold statement that none of us are that good yet, but maybe we'll get there someday! :wink:

Hope this helps.

Oh, and here's that photo again, since it's always more fun to have it embedded. ;) Thanks to Kelsey for the shot!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=66938

veganboyjosh

Jan 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #18 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, eric, he answered.

sorry, i didn't mean to sound snooty. it just looked funny when you asked what setup he used when he had posted here already.

in your defense, i suppose it wasn't all that clear that coldclimb's name is john.

freakin internet and it's inherent sarcasm multiplication factor...

hot damn, cc, that is much better imbedded.

also, eric, it's an interesting thought, even if springs aren't what get people(readLcoldclimb)fatter airs... thinking outside the box will get us higher and higher airs...so keep at it.

areyoumydude

Jan 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #19 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for double bouncing like on a trampoline, yes that is theoretically possible, and wow you'd get some crazy airs, but you have to have two people good enough to BOTH jump on ONE line, one JUST before the other. I'll make a bold statement that none of us are that good yet, but maybe we'll get there someday! :wink:

You can do that coldclimb. It's not that hard. Except you'll have to find a partner as good as you. :)

Although, Frisbee can be fun.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=36710

More air

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=32057

eric_t83

Jan 24, 2006, 9:39 AM
Post #20 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for posting your setup, John. When you say threaded with 9/16, you mean standard 9/16" tubular webbing, right?
But if you just keep tightening the line to get more air, then eventually you won't be slacklining no more, would you? I'm just asking here, I've never walked a really tight line before, so I don't know how it feels.
I just think that adding springs(or some other type of elastic device) could give you the same feeling of a slack line, together with the opportunity to get high air. It could also remove a lot of the potenital hazard of tightening the line a lot.

I'm digging a lot for info here, because I don't want to start a huge project that's bound to fail, you know.. :wink:

Also, keep up the picture posting, very cool!!

eric_t83

Jan 24, 2006, 9:47 AM
Post #21 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ok, eric, he answered.

sorry, i didn't mean to sound snooty. it just looked funny when you asked what setup he used when he had posted here already.

in your defense, i suppose it wasn't all that clear that coldclimb's name is john.

freakin internet and it's inherent sarcasm multiplication factor...

hot damn, cc, that is much better imbedded.

also, eric, it's an interesting thought, even if springs aren't what get people(readLcoldclimb)fatter airs... thinking outside the box will get us higher and higher airs...so keep at it.

Yeah, no problem, I understood your point, so to try to save my own skin I had to strike back, you know :)
I think it's very interesting as well, and I'll probably be bothering you all spring(pun not intended :) ) with this problem, if this is the project I finally decide on.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 24, 2006, 7:54 PM
Post #22 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for posting your setup, John. When you say threaded with 9/16, you mean standard 9/16" tubular webbing, right?
But if you just keep tightening the line to get more air, then eventually you won't be slacklining no more, would you? I'm just asking here, I've never walked a really tight line before, so I don't know how it feels.
I just think that adding springs(or some other type of elastic device) could give you the same feeling of a slack line, together with the opportunity to get high air. It could also remove a lot of the potenital hazard of tightening the line a lot.

I'm digging a lot for info here, because I don't want to start a huge project that's bound to fail, you know.. :wink:

Well actually, no matter how tight you pull it, it will still always stretch, all the way up until it breaks. It won't stretch MUCH, but it'll stretch, and I've never run into a line too TIGHT to get air yet. Tight lines are the way to go for getting big air. I won't say having springs on the line won't do something cool though, I've never seen it done. They're gonna have to be really really stiff to keep from just straightening out, but they might do something cool. :D

veganboyjosh

Jan 24, 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #23 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I won't say having springs on the line won't do something cool though, I've never seen it done. They're gonna have to be really really stiff to keep from just straightening out, but they might do something cool. :D

yeah, this is perhaps worth trying...i'm interested to see what--if anything--would happen.

as for springs stiff enough..what about something like coil springs from a car?

eric_t83

Jan 24, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #24 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well actually, no matter how tight you pull it, it will still always stretch, all the way up until it breaks. It won't stretch MUCH, but it'll stretch, and I've never run into a line too TIGHT to get air yet. Tight lines are the way to go for getting big air. I won't say having springs on the line won't do something cool though, I've never seen it done. They're gonna have to be really really stiff to keep from just straightening out, but they might do something cool. :D

What I meant was that if your line is really really tight, wouldn't it come close to walking a tight rope?

Partner coldclimb

Jan 24, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #25 of 58 (8109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

What I meant was that if your line is really really tight, wouldn't it come close to walking a tight rope?

It may come close while you're standing, yes, but the bouncing effect when you jump will only get stronger. :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook