RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

fishaofmen

Jan 28, 2006, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Necessary pulley working strength?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Main Question
I will eventually buy an SBI pulley system. For now, however, I'm looking to buy some cheap pulleys. I want them to work well, though. Initially, I was looking to buy some Petzl Ultra Light Pulleys (http://store.bentgate.com/nylpulwheelb.html), but at a working strength of .8Kn (~180lbs.) I'm scared they will fail to work in a slackline tightening system. I want to set up a 100' line. What's the minimum working strength I should look for in a pulley?

Background Info
My roommate and I just spent a good bit of the afternoon working on setting up a pretty long line. Usually, it doesn't take so long because I just keep adding people to pull on the line. This time it was just my roommate and I. We got it up, but not as tight as I'd like it, especially after soft-pointing.

I think I've realized a couple things when it comes to getting long lines tight:
1. Static rope will work better than webbing in a tightening system.
2. Pulleys help.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 28, 2006, 6:34 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Re: Necessary pulley working strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those plastic sheaves turn to fragments under tension. I couldn't even get a medium sized line tight with them before they blew.

Sorry, I don't have an exact #, but if you are soft pointing it would be whatever your pre-tensioning your line to + a safety margin, 1,000 lb might do it, but frankly your money would probably be best spent getting something that is rated for the full working load of the slackline.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 28, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Re: Necessary pulley working strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah that plastic won't hold up. I'm with Joe, you're better off buying something that's made to take the force. :)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook