Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Potrero Chico to El Salto ???s
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

benpullin

Jan 30, 2006, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1088 views)
Shortcut

Potrero Chico to El Salto ???s  (North_America: Mexico: Nuevo_Le_n: El_Potrero_Chico)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

These questions are for anyone who has climbed at El Potrero Chico or El Salto:

Is it possible to rent a taxi from EPC to El Salto without too much hassle? Or, is it necessary to go into town?

Are there accomodations/camping available walking distance from El Salto?

Is it necessary to convert US$ into pesos for the trip or is US currency widely accepted?

What is the going rate for a cab ride from the airport in Monterrey to EPC?

Going there in beginning of February and need a little beta...

Thanks!

jakewolf

Jan 30, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1088 views)
Shortcut

Re: Potrero Chico to El Salto ???s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

El Salto is in BFE. The road that leads to the climbing winds up and down the mountain for an hour or so. It is pretty remote. I don't think a taxi would be an option from EPC. The drive from EPC took us almost three hours.

The camping is primative, but all over near the climbing and several miles down the road there appeared to be some cabins rented for tourists.

Dollars were accepted every time I used them, but most places only want ones, no big bills. Also the exchange rate will be a flat 10 pesos per dollar instead of 10.5 per dollar.

Can't help about the taxi from the airport.

I think your best bet for El Salto is to ask around the campsites at EPC and catch a ride with others. There always seemed to be sombody heading over there for a few days. El Salto was really cool and NO crowds, but climbing starts at 5.11c.

This is an adventure
- Jake Wolf

saltamonte

Jan 30, 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1088 views)
Shortcut

Re: Potrero Chico to El Salto ???s [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lived in saltillo (about an hour and a half from EPC for 3 years just moved back to the usa 4 mos ago. I can answer a few of your questions by memory the rest would require investigation.

Is it possible to take a taxi from EPC to el salto? YES it is actually possible to take a taxi to about anywhere the question is how much it will cost. i have actually known people to take taxis to towns as much as 6 hours drive into the mountains of course the price will need to be negotiated. and you may have to try a couple drivers untill you find one who has no commitments for the next few hours. the most frugal choice is to use buses but that will require more time and that you change buses most likely several times if I had to guess I would say that a taxi from epc to el salto wouldbe ride would be around 400-500 pesos (40 -50 dollars) Realize that he will drive you 2 hours there and then have to return empty.

I never climbed at El Salto although i drove near by but i will leave those details up to someone else

as for currency, yes american dollars will work in large stores like walmart and the mexican equivalent Soriana. however you will lose money with the exchange and niether EPC or EL Salto are actually near one of those stores what you want is Mexican pesos cause they will be usable for whatever you need including a gatorade or a bag of chips at the corner store. However instead of exchanging large sums of american currency for pesos my strong recomendation is to use an ATM card pretty much any american atm card will work at every atm in mexico and you will recieve your money in pesos at a very good exchange rate.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook