Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner angry

Feb 2, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #1 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Your Yoga Style
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bet there's a million types out there. Lets get the pro's and con's of the styles in one thread.

Me

Dahn Yoga.

Pro, good stretch, deep meditation, brain respiration, great community, and tai-chi options. It's a great way to attempt to focus Ki energy

Con, not as physical, no asana poses, if you aren't into meditation and your spiritual side it's silly.

chrisparedes

Feb 2, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #2 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Re: Your Yoga Style [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I practice Yoga purely because I like the deep stretches, and my increase in flexibility and core strength. I dont meditate or know anything about the philosophy of Yoga however, its something that I can see myself doing for years to come. My style is "I dont want any more back pain" Yoga.

acacongua

Feb 2, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #3 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry: Is that the type of yoga where your breathing is similar to panting like a dog? I went to a yoga class like that years ago and it was fantastic for sleep.

outdoorsie

Feb 2, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #4 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Angry: Is that the type of yoga where your breathing is similar to panting like a dog? I went to a yoga class like that years ago and it was fantastic for sleep.

Most Yoga schools teach some kind of pranayama, but the breathing exercise you might be thinking about is probably called kapalabhati, or generally "breath of fire" (not the exact translation, though). I didn't think of it as much like "panting like a dog" as like the breathing you see women in labor doing... more of a "hee, hee, hee" :-) Lots of forms of Yoga practice this, my Bikram class last year would finish each session with it.

Yoga is supposed to be individualistic. The pros and cons will likely be different for each person. And most people will tell you that the most important part of any practice is finding a class and a teacher that you like and respect, the style itself is less important.

I can't help it, I really like Yoga Journal. Their website is chock full of information. If you're interested in Yoga but don't know where to start or don't know much about the different styles here are a few helpful things to read:

The Yoga FAQ: http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/820_1.cfm

A Yoga Style Guide (note, though, these are they major styles, from my first scan through I think more obscure practices like Dahn or Yin are not listed): http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/165_1.cfm

A fun little QUIZ to help you decide what style of yoga might be best for you: http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/497_1.cfm

My favorite, the Pose Finder: http://www.yogajournal.com/...index.cfm?ctsrc=tnav

Hope this helps! Namaste. :D

yogiclimber

Feb 2, 2006, 5:18 PM
Post #5 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a instructor I have to agree that Yoga is very similar to art in that no two instructors styles are exactly the same. I have been to many classes where all teachers were conducting the same discipline but still had very different classes.
Most studios have some sort of deal for your first class, so the best thing to do is try a couple till you find one you like(After 5 or so maybe it just isn't for you). Personally I teach Power yoga which focuses more on balance, core strength, and flexibility; rather than meditation or philosophy. My power yoga may be different from someones else's because I gear mine more towards men by stretching mostly the upper body and lower back, also I throw a lot of palates and gymnastics in as well.
Some people love it and others want something else, and in California there is no shortage of instructors.

-Good luck

whipperboy

Feb 2, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #6 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mezcal yoga...open mouth, invert bottle, chew and swallow worm while performing twenty jumping jacks (this may require practice), rinse and repeat. Very relaxing. :twisted:

mother_sheep

Feb 2, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #7 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last night I did my first Core Power Yoga class in a room that was heated to 106 degrees. It was a 75 minute class with a series of pretty intense poses with Savasana in between several poses and followed up with Kapalabhati towards the end . The heat really seemed to loosen up my body. By the time we got to the second set of posses, my body was more willing to accept the positions without the usual resistance. The heat was intense. I could literally wring out my top after class. I felt cleansed after it was over. The only thing it was lacking was meditation, which I think is something that I need. Is there a particular style of yoga that focusses on the intense poses of Core Power + meditaion?

shakylegs

Feb 2, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #8 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Intermediate kripalu here.
I find the poses are gettng much more difficult to maintain, I can build up a sweat, and there's a nice 10-minute death pose/meditation at the end.
Something must be working, because my abs are getting taut again, and my thighs and buttockal area still ache a few days after.

acacongua

Feb 2, 2006, 6:47 PM
Post #9 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outdoorsie, that was useful ... thanks.

Does anyone else get hypnotized by the dancing characters in Mother_sheep's sig?

mother_sheep

Feb 2, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #10 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Outdoorsie, that was useful ... thanks.

Does anyone else get hypnotized by the dancing characters in Mother_sheep's sig?

acacongua, it's superhero yoga. :-)

iltripp

Feb 2, 2006, 7:28 PM
Post #11 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I practice Ashtanga Yoga and love it for a couple of reasons:

-Physically challenging and athletic moves combined with the meditative aspect of yoga. I like my yoga routine to be a fairly intense workout.

-Deep stretching as well as strength and core exercise.

-The flow-style movement (I believe ashtanga is a type of vinyasa yoga) that links everything together. This just feels "right" to me and helps cultivate the proper breathing and mental state.

-Heat generation. I don't know if this is true for all styles of yoga, but my routine really warms me up. It really seems to generate body heat, which feels great and loosens my muscles. A shortened routine makes the perfect warm-up for climbing or other physical activity.

Also, a lot of these factors make it a great supplement for climbing.

outdoorsie

Feb 2, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #12 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The only thing it was lacking was meditation, which I think is something that I need. Is there a particular style of yoga that focusses on the intense poses of Core Power + meditaion?

Just a couple of possibilities... and again, every studio and teacher is different, so it's really hard to predict just by the name of the class what you're going to get.

If you liked the heat, you might try Bikram. The whole purpose of Bikram seems to be *really* building the heat in your body and help expel many toxins in your system. The poses themselves are really challenging, and they are usually presented in a format that allows for an odd change of consiousness. After an hour and a half in that 110-degree room, intense poses and then pranayama... I was seeing auras. Or about to pass out. One of the two. I liked it and practiced once a week last winter.

Maybe, though, the best idea would be for you to pick up a second class. Probably your yoga school offers a lot of different classes. Right now, I like the challange and flow in my Vinassa and Ashtanga classes, but once every two weeks or so I take a Yin yoga to add some meditation: to slow down and reflect on the poses more intently. Anyway, if you're not getting exactly what you want from any one class, take two! You don't have to double your time spent at the studio if you don't have the time, just alternate, one power yoga class, one Kripalu class...

granite_grrl

Feb 3, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #13 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its all about the teacher. I do what you'd call Vinyasa yoga, I've taken classes under this name from 7 different teachers. One woman had the most amazing flows following breath, I felt so graceful going from one pose to another. Another woman has very intense classes, after she exhausted us she brought us into some balance poses and I felt like outdoorsie:

In reply to:
After an hour and a half in that 110-degree room, intense poses and then pranayama... I was seeing auras. Or about to pass out. One of the two.

Just that combination of exhaustion and concentration, it was fantastic!

I would like to try a pure Ashtanga class, one that would go through the entire series perhaps, but they always seem to be at bad times for me.

unwritten

Feb 14, 2006, 6:49 AM
Post #14 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I practice Hatha yoga, I like the holistic approach.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/styles-of-yoga/hatha-yoga.asp

I'm interested in Ananda yoga, I may visit a center near me for a weekend retreat one day soon. Anyone familiar with this? I guess you repeat affirmations while you're in your poses. Looks like it would be interesting to give it a go.

http://www.expandinglight.org/

8flood8

Feb 14, 2006, 7:13 AM
Post #15 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am into hatha flow.

i hope to be into ashtanga again, once my injuries have healed.

ja

Feb 23, 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #16 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Last night I did my first Core Power Yoga class in a room that was heated to 106 degrees. It was a 75 minute class with a series of pretty intense poses with Savasana in between several poses and followed up with Kapalabhati towards the end . The heat really seemed to loosen up my body. By the time we got to the second set of posses, my body was more willing to accept the positions without the usual resistance. The heat was intense. I could literally wring out my top after class. I felt cleansed after it was over. The only thing it was lacking was meditation, which I think is something that I need. Is there a particular style of yoga that focusses on the intense poses of Core Power + meditaion?

Mother Sheep...sounds like you went to a "non-certified" Bikram Yoga class. Check out this site and see.... www.bikramyoga.com They can only call it Bikram if the instructors have gone through training at this place.

I practice Bikram on a daily basis. The heat cleanses the body, allows the muscles to stretch father, and you come away from 90 minutes of intense work with a sense of pure calm. The best part is, since there are 26 poses done always the same, always twice, aways the same order...the class becomes more of a personal moving meditation. You get to a point where you are instinctively moving through the poses and more focused on he inner calm and your personal sanctuary.

Plus...it's a great complimentary training for climbing!

piton

Feb 23, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #17 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the gumby

basically you overcam a #4 camolot in a 5.6 downclimb

Partner one900johnnyk

Feb 23, 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #18 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iyengar, because it has more hippy bs than yours does....

ridgeclimber

Feb 23, 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #19 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ashtanga is a good type which combines the good elements of several styles. Good for strength, endurance, stretching, breathing, etc.

pranacrazy

Mar 15, 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #20 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I practice hatha flow

rockguide

Mar 15, 2006, 1:29 AM
Post #21 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ashtenga for two years now, though I take the summers off. It has been fantastic.

redlegrangerone

Mar 15, 2006, 2:24 AM
Post #22 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anusara yoga for me.

beefy

Mar 15, 2006, 4:02 AM
Post #23 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Started with iyengar for 3 years and been doing astanga for 11 years now. I find it the best style for self practice too due to the defined sequence.
Love the dynamic nature of astanga.

spock

Mar 15, 2006, 4:25 AM
Post #24 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me and my wife do bikram once a week on saturday mornings because the center provides a sitter for the children's participants. If it weren't for that nothing.

And we love it

gymslackerclimber

Mar 15, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #25 of 45 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great thread!

i have found 'power yoga' in santa monica,, not to be confused with

In reply to:
my first Core Power Yoga class in a room that was heated to 106 degrees.

there is no artificial heating,, but it gets crazy hot ..

power yoga is an evolved practice through adopting many forms of yoga..

i walked into yoga in september and now i am hooked.! i go five or six days a week.. Given, that it is by far the best/complete workout for you core!, muscle tone, flexibility, stamina, endurance, that i have ever experienced, but the improvement of mental & physical detachment from all the dayly nonsense (buying the 'cool' jeans/ slim waist and beefy biceps), is absoulty outstanding.

yoga has enabled my mind to become less analytical, less reactive.. i have greater appreciate my joints,my tight knees, and neck and my spine, for my breath, for my finger tips and my heels..

No mercy our minds have!,, always racing from one issue to the next never leting us rest! focus means you have to disregard, or not accept things(dont like the not accepting things)..but only by 'focusing' on one thing (like the breath) can we start to only begin to control the mind..

rather than focus i think yoga is teaching me awarness,, to be in a state of complete clamness and acceptance , to be able to take someting in(a sound or a pain or a breze) embrace that something, then let it go without being distraction or be taken away form your stillness.

walking the slackline (for me) was only the beginning of me being aware of my awareness...

but i preach to all,,! that on the line you gain clarity and strength,, and throguh that, you start to become aware...

so like wise,, more importantly than all that good health stuff and all the mental growth,,,, on top of all that,, power yoga has made me become a much 'stronger' slackliner....!! :D :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook