Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

biscuit_the_hand

Feb 3, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #1 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

How to train at my desk
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently got a lame telemarketing job, and i was wondering, how might I try to train my hands or forearms or ANYHTHING at my desk, as a possible alternative to blowing my brains all over the wall.

roshiaitareya

Feb 3, 2006, 3:38 AM
Post #2 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to train at my desk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a little squeezy thing.

fng

Feb 3, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #3 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dumbbell curls with palm in, out and sideways. Then roll the dumbbell to the tips of your fingers and roll up into a forearm wrist curl. 2-3 sets of twenty to thirty of each exercise will give you a little pump and I just keep mine under my desk at work.

outsideguyzak

Feb 3, 2006, 3:55 AM
Post #4 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're setting yourself up for some off color comments that is for sure! lol, what can i do at work under my desk to work out my forearms??? ;)

biscuit_the_hand

Feb 3, 2006, 5:02 AM
Post #5 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about something i could do for free, or with free materials (yes I know, masturbate) since I am pretty much homeless and broke until payday.

musicman

Feb 3, 2006, 5:03 AM
Post #6 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you're setting yourself up for some off color comments that is for sure! lol, what can i do at work under my desk to work out my forearms??? ;)
you, my friend, just earned yourself a trophy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

restwhenyoudie

Feb 3, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have a telemarketing job and would be interested to find out what people come up with. I never thought of training at work but it sounds like a good idea. Where I work we all sit in rows next to each-other. It might work to get one of those Grimper II Finger Game things and play with the person next to me. It would sure beat playing cards all night.

Chris

glyrocks

Feb 3, 2006, 6:07 AM
Post #8 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also have a telemarketing job and would be interested to find out what people come up with. I never thought of training at work but it sounds like a good idea. Where I work we all sit in rows next to each-other. It might work to get one of those Grimper II Finger Game things and play with the person next to me. It would sure beat playing cards all night.

Chris

You could try getting a job that doesn't pay you to harrass people to but stupid shit and increase their over-spending ability. But that probably wouldn't help you climb.

-----

When I don't feel like giving my job all my attention, I've threaded a rubber band randomly around my fingers on one hand, and just moved my fingers around, pulling against the rubber band. If you can figure out what I'm trying to explain after a little too much beer and no dinner, then it can give you a simple, low-key 'work-out' at your desk.

chrisparedes

Feb 3, 2006, 8:00 AM
Post #9 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a Dynaflex Ball. Amazing forearm strength builder which involves and rotating/gyroscopic motion with your wrist. It's difficult to explain but once you practice and get the hang of it, its great. You can pick one up at REI.

skinner

Feb 3, 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #10 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I recently got a lame telemarketing job
Poor Bastard
I'd be reaching for the gun on my first day.

hammerhead

Feb 3, 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #11 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are some of the things I do at work to keep from going insane...
We have big vertical I beams in our factory. I'll hook one with my fingers down low, about waist high, put my feet in towards the beam as far as I can and take a big stretch. Or I'll grab the beams about shoulder high, so the beam is out to my side and put my feet at the base and lean out that way. (looks like an upside down 4.)
I also made a ball out of rubberbands, masking tape and copy paper. Some times I'll sit in my chair at a 90 degree angle (so the back of the chair is on my side) and I'll do crunches with my torso and legs elevated. I'll also stretch my calves/forearms, do wrist and ankle rotations and, of course, daydream..

Al

climbsomething

Feb 3, 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #12 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Chris
But you'd still live in Iowa, which I don't imagine is any good for your climbing...

olib

Feb 3, 2006, 1:13 PM
Post #13 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of posting on RC.com. You should work for at least seven posts a day. Also, read old posts. Practice your troll identification technique, and learn how to flame nOObs with really sweet acronyms and sarcastic posts.

Oh yeah, and you should do doorframe fingertip pullups on your breaks...

Lee G.

rhonius

Feb 3, 2006, 2:45 PM
Post #14 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want something that is cheap grab a tennis ball and squeeze it. I did that when I was in school during class and it works great.

daithi

Feb 3, 2006, 2:50 PM
Post #15 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I recently got a lame telemarketing job, and i was wondering, how might I try to train my hands or forearms or ANYHTHING at my desk,

Built a sweet little bouldering cave under your desk. You just might have enough room to make a one or two move problem, depending on the dimensions or your desk. Do laps on it until you feel the pump. Fantastic training!

Partner tgreene

Feb 3, 2006, 2:52 PM
Post #16 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get a little squeezy thing.
YEP!

I regularily give blood at the Red Cross, and when donating yesterday, I asked them if I could keep the red ball, and they said sure... They got a pint of blood, I got a free squeeze ball and somebody else may get to live, so it's a win-win-win situation! :D

Now, get off yer asses and go give blood! :idea:

landgolier

Feb 3, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #17 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tennis balls are good, but it's kind of hard to work your fingers evenly. The other no-budget solution is a baloon filled with sand, which is basically what those grip trainers are anyway.

When you have $7, there is one called the gravity grip that is filled with little sand-grained size metal bearings so that it's heavy. As with anything, though, you can overtrain. I had one in the cup holder during a solo road trip once, and by the time I got across Texas I realized something was wrong when I could barely grip a pen.

onsight_endorphines

Feb 3, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #18 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you're setting yourself up for some off color comments that is for sure! lol, what can i do at work under my desk to work out my forearms???

In reply to:
Where I work we all sit in rows next to each-other.

Hmmmmm..........

Anyway if that doesn't work out, just make sure to point it at the back of your head.

Lose the telemarketing job and do something that benefits society. Like set fire to small animals.

Nah, really, this is all in good fun and I'm just kidding. Though telemarketing cannot be a fun thing to do everyday...

restwhenyoudie

Feb 3, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #19 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But you'd still live in Iowa, which I don't imagine is any good for your climbing...

Your right, Iowa sucks, but I'm stuck here for now.

In reply to:
You could try getting a job that doesn't pay you to harrass people to but stupid s--- and increase their over-spending ability. But that probably wouldn't help you climb.

I call for my university, raising money for scholarships. It is still annoying to get those calls but at least I'm not asking them to sign up for a credit card.

Chris

Partner fowler214

Feb 3, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #20 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go get one the the random news papers laying about and do the old one sheet crumble, never tought it would work but turns out i was wrong, bonous is after i burn through the dallas morning news i have plenty of paper balls to throw at coworkers

krusher4

Feb 3, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #21 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many floors in the building? A friend and I discovered doing laps up and down the center of the staircase, climbing on the railings. Plus there is the thrill of someone opening a door right as your going by.

cristodelaroca

Feb 3, 2006, 5:50 PM
Post #22 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jack off twice a day, its good for your arms and it feels good. hahaha no I'm kidding, buy the black diamond donut so you can exercise your fingers.

anykineclimb

Feb 3, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #23 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you could always do a few Muscle ups at your desk :wink:

glyrocks

Feb 3, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #24 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You could try getting a job that doesn't pay you to harrass people to but stupid s--- and increase their over-spending ability. But that probably wouldn't help you climb.

I call for my university, raising money for scholarships. It is still annoying to get those calls but at least I'm not asking them to sign up for a credit card.

Chris

Okay, my fault, I was presumptious and assuming. If makes you feel better, that wasn't the first or last off-base asshole thing I said last night.

Seriously folks, the rubber band thing works better than it sounds. Just tangle your fingers up and try to pull them apart. Feel the burn.

matterunomama

Feb 19, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #25 of 28 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best hand exerciser is without a doubt hand exercise putty.

Those like me who have had serious hand injuries know it as 'Flex-Grip Hand Exercise putty' and it comes in resistance from pitiful to powerful. More familiar to most is "Power Putty" sold thru REI and similar retailers, which comes in Medium strong and really strong.

It is THE most excellent because you can train ALL the muscles in your hand, which is very important. You can squeeze the whole wad with your whole hand or individual fingers(important because certain finger pulleys pop/tear more than others), you can crimp your fingers down into it individually or together, you can make a rope and use it to extend or flex your wrist, you can squeeze it between fingers, you can make a pancake , jam your fingers in it and spread them all apart.....you get the idea. Instructions are included in the cute hand shaped power putty package.

And it does not have any residue on the hands or desk, shred or break open. I am in medicine, so I am running my hands all over people every 10 minutes or so writing, handling instruments.

And its fun. If you don't feel like exercising you can just absently mindedly play with it,molding stretching twisting.... Power Putty only costs about $6.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook