RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

Partner phaedrus

Jan 6, 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #1 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Urban Climber Magazine Creates Film Arm
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

New York, NY, January 2nd, 2006 — Urban Climber Magazine today announced the creation of a new climbing film production entity.

The first film to be released under the Urban Climber Magazine name will be FUSE, a co-production between Urban Climber Magazine and IndeVisual Productions. FUSE, currently in post-production, is slated for release Spring 2006. The film is an intimate look at the bouldering movement spanning Fontainebleau and Hueco Tanks.

"Our aim is to help talented young film-makers make strong climbing films with range and ambition," said Mark Crowther, Publisher of Urban Climber Magazine. "We are committed to finding and developing new talent, as well as collaborating with some of the foremost filmmakers in the industry," he added.

The Magazine's film arm will focus on three areas: first, co-production finance by offering help to secure third party financing for independent climbing film projects; second, business affairs by providing filmmakers with negotiating and deal structuring advice; and third, rights and revenue management, working with producers to find the best distribution for their films.

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/...=1604&sort_year=2006

caughtinside

Jan 6, 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #2 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Re: Urban Climber Magazine Creates Film Arm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like more bouldering vids with hip hop soundtracks are headed our way! :P

alvinswill

Jan 8, 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #3 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm afraid your right. The state of climbing films is awful these days. I guess that's what the market is demanding. Personly I'd like to see some of these "filmmakers" be forced to shoot on 16mm with wind up Bolex cameras. It would force them to think before they shoot.

couloir

Jan 8, 2006, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most climbing videos these days are pretty pathetic. The producers figure that since they have sponsored climbers in front of the lens it will be good. I believe that every climbing video that has come out in recent years has been shot on digital video, which sucks when you pay $30 for a video and the quality is lacking. These people should step up to 16mm.

aarong

Jan 9, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #5 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UC Mag creates "film" arm?
I think you mean video.

There is a difference.

fluxus

Jan 11, 2006, 8:33 PM
Post #6 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm afraid your right. The state of climbing films is awful these days. I guess that's what the market is demanding. Personly I'd like to see some of these "filmmakers" be forced to shoot on 16mm with wind up Bolex cameras. It would force them to think before they shoot.

Here here, I love my Rex 4. and I LOVE shooting 7245 using my 10mm Switar prime.

long live the Bolex!

using the word "film" in the context of climbing is just a way for guys with prosumer video cameras to feel more important than they are.

boulderman

Jan 11, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #7 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Urban Climber really didn't "create" anything. UC Mag has recently replaced the original editor with the guy who is "Indivisual". So, now that Indivisual is the editor, he is now simply using it as an outlet to show his own movies. The first movie, "Fuse", has had trailers all over the net over the last couple months, so, that project was started long before he became the new editor. Hell, I said 6 months ago they should include a DVD in each issue that relates to the cover story.

jt512

Jan 12, 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #8 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"The film is an intimate look at the bouldering movement spanning Fontainebleau and Hueco Tanks."

Hopefully the "film" will be less pretentious than that sentence.

Jay

caughtinside

Jan 12, 2006, 9:21 PM
Post #9 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"The film is an intimate look at the bouldering movement spanning Fontainebleau and Hueco Tanks."

Jay

I don't know, I need an intimate look, so I know what kinds of beanies are in this year. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some new sending lingo, since I've been using "Bzzzat!" for a while now, and it's getting pretty tired.

sidepull

Jan 12, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #10 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Urban Climber really didn't "create" anything. UC Mag has recently replaced the original editor with the guy who is "Indivisual". So, now that Indivisual is the editor, he is now simply using it as an outlet to show his own movies. The first movie, "Fuse", has had trailers all over the net over the last couple months, so, that project was started long before he became the new editor.

The indevisual site and vids are pretty lame - I've seen sesame street characters climb harder stuff. So if what you're saying is true, then that's a sad commentary on this new "venture."

In reply to:
Hell, I said 6 months ago they should include a DVD in each issue that relates to the cover story.

Now this is a good idea for any climbing mag. They could at the very least do it yearly.

ucm

Jan 17, 2006, 5:20 AM
Post #11 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Urban Climber Magazine today announced the launch of UCTV (http://www.urbanclimbermag.tv,) a new free climbing video network.

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/press.outdoor.php?news_id=1638&sort_year=2006

fiend

Jan 17, 2006, 6:22 AM
Post #12 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hopefully the film will be less pretentious than the film snobs in here preaching about what is and is not a quality visual endeavour.

Quality movie making is quality regardless of the device used to capture the images.

dynorat

Jan 17, 2006, 6:35 AM
Post #13 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why all the negativity? This sounds like a great way to improve the quality of upcoming films. I have seen the Indevisual videos and they are much more about climbing as a way of life than just getting strong climbers in front of a camera. Plus the guy from Indevisual was nice enough to show around a complete stranger visiting the gunks who posted on a website. He showed me a bunch of the gunks classics and I am SURE my trip would not have been any where near as good without his help.

BTW how many of you flamers have actually edited entire videos on 16mm?
Why don't you guys post some of your vids/ideas for people to rip apart?

Ever think that if you are trying to make a living off your films that you might have to come into the 21st century and use modern production techniques which shorten production times and create a more polished finished product than ever before?
There is something to be said for classic filming techniques but just because people choose digital doesn't make them bad or wrong.

If you don't have anything nice to say then just get off your ass and go climb. Oh wait your too busy ranting about somebody else getting out, climbing and making videos in all the cool places you'll probably never go.

Try some encouragement next time. It might be more fruitful.

grinspoon

Feb 8, 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #14 of 14 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why all the negativity? This sounds like a great way to improve the quality of upcoming films. I have seen the Indevisual videos and they are much more about climbing as a way of life than just getting strong climbers in front of a camera. Plus the guy from Indevisual was nice enough to show around a complete stranger visiting the gunks who posted on a website. He showed me a bunch of the gunks classics and I am SURE my trip would not have been any where near as good without his help.

BTW how many of you flamers have actually edited entire videos on 16mm?
Why don't you guys post some of your vids/ideas for people to rip apart?

Ever think that if you are trying to make a living off your films that you might have to come into the 21st century and use modern production techniques which shorten production times and create a more polished finished product than ever before?
There is something to be said for classic filming techniques but just because people choose digital doesn't make them bad or wrong.

If you don't have anything nice to say then just get off your ass and go climb. Oh wait your too busy ranting about somebody else getting out, climbing and making videos in all the cool places you'll probably never go.

Try some encouragement next time. It might be more fruitful.

Yeah! What he said!

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook