Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
RRG in da spring?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

weschrist

Jan 16, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

RRG in da spring?  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got shut the fuk down by 2 weeks of straight rain in Oct 2004. Wondering if spring is any better. Or is RRG just hit or miss all the time?

bootlegger

Jan 16, 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Re: RRG in da spring? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll generally get more rain in the spring than in the fall at RRG, so yeah, it's kinda hit or miss. You must have caught an unusual time in 2004, since the fall is generally the best time to climb in the Red.

kyhangdog

Jan 16, 2006, 2:28 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're missing great climbing right now. this is the warmest, dryest winter I can remember. avg. temps have been fifties. spring is genreally wet

paul3eb

Jan 16, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spring is usually pretty good temps and pretty dry. though it can still get wet in the spring, it's generally not like the fall. march is a pretty good time to be here. if you can, just keep up with the predictions and plan around that. and if you're climbing 11s and up, there's always a place to be climbing in the red.

noell

Jan 16, 2006, 3:49 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent this past fall at the Red and heard all kinds of horror stories bout the previous fall and how bad it was. Don't worry! Give try again! Spring and fall are definitely when you should be at the Red! :P

krusher4

Feb 15, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say the fall is the best you can get. Still expect rain everynight, get a good tent Miguel's turns into a mud pit. Lucky, many routes stay dry in the worst down pour.

lemurboy

Feb 15, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No matter what season I go, I always expect rain. If I am going for like 3 or 4 days I usually expect at least one day rain. If i am there longer say 2 weeks expect a couple days rain.

The red is nice, beacuse there is a lot of good climbing that can still be done in the rain. Road Side crag, torrent falls, the lode, among others will stay dry for a while (depending on the direction of rain and consistantcy.)

p_mcdermott

Feb 15, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fall of 2004 was an unusually wet fall. I was there for three months and it f-ing rained alot. But I was also there for 2.5 months this past fall and it was the best weather I have ever had. I've stayed at Miggies for the past 4 springs for at least 2 months and you can always expect a little rain and you might even get a little snow but you can also get 65 degree days for a week strait. So what it comes down to is be prepared for anything and bring clothes from a down jacket to your leapord print speedo. you could use it all. And most importantly remember its the Gorge if you dont like the weather wiat 5 minutes.

Cheers

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook