First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

arrettinator

Mar 8, 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #1 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Bush vs Hitler - Your Thoughts
Report this Post
Can't Post

DENVER (AP) -- A high school social studies teacher who was put on leave after comparing President Bush's State of the Union address to speeches made by Adolf Hitler defended his lecture on Tuesday, saying he was trying to encourage students to think.

http://www.cnn.com/...r.bush.ap/index.html

madriver

Mar 8, 2006, 9:26 PM
Post #2 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bush vs Hitler - Your Thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[jk if I were Hitler I would find it offensive /jk]. Comparing someone to Hitler is rather offensive isn't it. I mean I guess you can compare Stalin, Pol Pot, and Saddam to Hitler, but comparing any American to Hitler to me is a personal attack rather than a real comparison

Partner pharmboy

Mar 8, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Teacher of the Year!!!

arrettinator

Mar 8, 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #4 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[jk if I were Hitler I would find it offensive /jk]. Comparing someone to Hitler is rather offensive isn't it. I mean I guess you can compare Stalin, Pol Pot, and Saddam to Hitler, but comparing any American to Hitler to me is a personal attack rather than a real comparison
I seem to remember Clinton being compared to Hitler during his administration, as well. I even remember some of my college profs talking bad about him on a regular basis.

wjca

Mar 8, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #5 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bush vs Hitler? Hitler would win by a field goal.

The better question is Bush & Hitler vs. Ditka? Ditka in a runaway. Now, if Ditka were only 22" high (you know, a mini Ditka) and you gave Bush and Hitler 8 points, then you'd have a game.

deserteaglle

Mar 8, 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #6 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ididn't know Boon was a teacher. :?

madriver

Mar 8, 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #7 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

arrettinator wrote:

In reply to:
In reply to:
madriver wrote:

I seem to remember Clinton being compared to Hitler during his administration, as well. I even remember some of my college profs talking bad about him on a regular basis.

...I don't recall any Hitler/ Clinton comparisons. Regardless, I would have found it offensive and a personal attack rather than real critisism.

dingus

Mar 8, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #8 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you knee jerk sumbiatches can't help yourselves, but I actually heard what the teacher said. He DID NOT compare Bush vs Hitler, the title of the thread is completely misleading, the rhetoric from the talk show flamers is false and the teacher has grounds for a lawsuit.

DMT

charley

Mar 8, 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #9 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know you knee jerk sumbiatches can't help yourselves, but I actually heard what the teacher said. He DID NOT compare Bush vs Hitler, the title of the thread is completely misleading, the rhetoric from the talk show flamers is false and the teacher has grounds for a lawsuit.

DMT
Don't confuse em with facts. :lol:

madriver

Mar 9, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #10 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DMT....I see your post count is well above 5000. So trying to incite any real issues into this thread will be contsrued as a troll...

Love

MR

dingus

Mar 9, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #11 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks MR. Soon you'll be one of us poster children too!

DMT

wjca

Mar 9, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #12 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

DMT

I wasn't confused by the thread title. I firmly believe that Hitler could take Bush and Ditka kicks all ass (except for Chuck Norris of course).

iltripp

Mar 9, 2006, 5:14 AM
Post #13 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No way... Everyone knows that college professors are the propaganda outlets for the left wing...

At least that's what the "Academic Bill of Rights" supporters told me...

Sincerely,
W. Churchill

bobd1953

Mar 9, 2006, 6:22 AM
Post #14 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

DMT

Yeah...it seems the little young republicans only recorded a small segment of the lecture and gave that to his father who preceded to give it to the press. The whole deal is taken out of content.

A little Karl Rove in the making. The boy has a future in the party.

dirtineye

Mar 9, 2006, 9:09 AM
Post #15 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well let's see...

Hitler had more charisma.

Hitler was a better speaker.

Hitler knew how to deal with the religious right.

Hitler didn't look like a smirking chimp OR Alfred E. Newman.

When Hitler wanted to start a war, he did it up in style.

Hitler got his allies to stick with him, even when the chips were down.

Hitler might have been a mad man, but he seemed a lot smarter than W.

Hmmm, all in all I'd say Hitler does pretty well compared to W.

arrettinator

Mar 9, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #16 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He DID NOT compare Bush vs Hitler, the title of the thread is completely misleading
He did compare Bush's state of the union address to speeches given by Hitler, though, so I would consider it Bush vs. Hitler in that aspect. It’s a compare and contrast, if you will. The title is merely a vague summary of the topic at hand, used to get people to read the contents. Similar to headlines you'd see in your local newspaper.

flamer

Mar 9, 2006, 3:04 PM
Post #17 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the rhetoric from the talk show flamers

CAREFUL......

josh

dingus

Mar 9, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #18 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That teacher was doing a good job, challenging his students to think, to look at things from a broader perspective. That he was sacked for it is exactly, EXACTLY the same sort of mentality that led the Kansas Board of Education to reject the teaching of evolution... simply because it doesn't conform to their own rigid perception of things.

You're right, your misrepresentation is no different that what newspapers, political pundits with axes to grind about the 'state of education in America' today and Rush Limbaugh.

Its a mentality that places indocrination and touchy feely ahead of critical thinking (theirs, I have no idea what your position is on this, you didn't day).

Luckily for my kids, we don't tolerate such lazy thinking in California.

Cheers!
DMT

madriver

Mar 9, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #19 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while I agree with DMT...isn't comparing or disscussing anyone in context with Hitler akin to suggesting that the compared person is on par with one of the most evil vile people in history. Regardless of the context, when you mention Hitler, the image is not one of politcal statesmen, it's an image of evil incarnate. So the mere suggestion that Bush or anyone is similar to Hitler tends to lead me to the "personal vendetta" image rather than a serious disscusion. Bush is a lame duck, stupid, indifferent, rich, and a Republican. His speeches, actions, and political ideals in no way resemble Hitlers.

arrettinator

Mar 9, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #20 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mother of a good friend of ours is from Germany. She lived there in the rise of the Third Reich. We had them over for dinner last year. She has stated that the things that Bush and his administration have done and said are very similiar to what was happening then and the things that Hitler and his folks were doing and saying.

So that's probably why I don't see it as a personal attack, but more of a certifiable comparison.

And, I don't see the title if this thread to be a misrepresentation at all.
In English 101 we had to do compare and contrast papers. The titles presented to use as examples, and the titles of many of our papers, were in the form of A vs B. It's a very valid representation of the topic of discussion. If by comparing Bush's actions to Hitler's actions, I would title the topic Bush vs Hitler. Not, Speeches made by Bush compared to Speeches made by Hitler. Titles are supposed to draw the reader in. It worked on you, didn't it? :roll:

I agree with you that he was not doing wrong and has a great argument for legal action.

Also, comparing anyone to anyone else can be considered a personal attack. If we didn't compare people with others (like Hitler), merely because of this reason, we don't challenge people to think and to look at things in a broader aspect.

Looking at things from every angle is important, don't you think?

Partner tradman

Mar 9, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #21 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
EXACTLY the same sort of mentality that led the Kansas Board of Education to reject the teaching of evolution...

Actually the Kansas Board of Education didn't reject the teaching of evolution, they simply required that it not be taught as an indisputable fact, and be held open to question and criticism. They were actually encouraging free thought, just as arrett recommends.

Those who advocated restricting it, if any, were those who demanded that only evolution be taught and that it be taught as unquestioned fact.

madriver

Mar 9, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #22 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I would tend to listen to someone who lived in Germany during Hitlers reign, I would like to hear the stated comparison. I'll stand by my thoughts when it comes to Hitler comparisons especially from young americans.

arrettinator

Mar 9, 2006, 4:08 PM
Post #23 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Those who advocated restricting it, if any, were those who demanded that only evolution be taught and that it be taught as unquestioned fact.
That would be hard to do, since it's taught as a theory. :wink:

arrettinator

Mar 9, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #24 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- The father of a teacher who made a classroom comparison between President Bush's State of the Union address and speeches made by Adolf Hitler says he and his family have received at least 12 death threats.

http://www.cnn.com/...r.bush.ap/index.html

What is wrong with our society?

madriver

Mar 9, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #25 of 76 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess the Nazis are really pissed about this....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook