Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
Palisade head and Shovel point (Trip report)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

fo_d

Aug 18, 2002, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Palisade head and Shovel point (Trip report)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Several RC.com members made a trip to the north shore of lake Superior in Minnesota, We climbed at Shovel point and Palisade head in the Tettegouche State park. The rc.com members present were:
duskerhu
pumpkin_man
pelliott
fo_d
kcsclimbinggirl
shayuddup

We also met with but didnt get to climb with:
rockdawg
why73

Friday: We arrived at Northern Exposure campground ( http://www.lakesuperiorcamping.com/ ) and setup camp at lightning speed and headed over to Palisade head and took an extreamly long time to set a TR on Phantom Crack 5.9. I (fo_d) somehow got chosen to rap down and climb 1st.....oh yeah did I mention there really is no access to the bottom of these 90' cliff's except to rap in and hope you can finish the route? anyway I flailed and ended up jugging a line to get back on the top of the cliff. pelliott, duskerhu and pumpkin_man were all able to finish the route with some hanging.
We then went to Shovel point where most of the routes are over water and also belayed from the top. We setup two 5.6's for a cooldown and also for the kid's that came along, Out on a Limb and The Great Yawn. We got back to camp at just about sunset, after eating we tried to enjoy a fire but rain sent us to our tents and it rained alll night.

(Continued tomarrow)

Sorry rockdawg and Ed

[ This Message was edited by: fo_d on 2002-08-19 00:26 ]

pumpkin_man

Aug 18, 2002, 10:22 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Palisade head and Shovel point (Trip report) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who is Pumpkin_head? Do I know him???

Hey Chief, you must be really really tired...
Have a good night! Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: pumpkin_man on 2002-08-18 22:48 ]

fo_d

Aug 18, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also introduced you to amsam at Barn bluff as pumpkin_head

why73

Aug 18, 2002, 10:59 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was nice meeting you all...hope i will be able to climb with you in the future...i feel bad i did not make it back...i am searching for new acomadatons in duluth with out much luck...

duskerhu

Aug 19, 2002, 12:00 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll work on the html crap later but...

WOW, what a weekend!

We had BEAUTIFUL weather Friday day and all day Sunday. Saturday was a partial "WASH" But we made an EPIC out of it anyway. Always wanted to do some "night climbing", just didn't count on it being unroped and unplanned... WWWoooooo WWHHHOOOoooooooo!

SO!!!, The one thing we were ALL wondering about is l_j_x...

Loouuuiiissss where WERE you???? We were all ready and waiting for you about 9pm Friday night and you never showed...

We felt like loosers 'cus you stood us up!

Just kiddin', but we did miss you! What happened???

Anyhow, I'll let Les tell the story of Friday night and Saturday (unless he would like someone else to) and just say, LOOK for the cool pics to come soon!

Oh, and Les, we did NOT see rockhugger, we saw rockdawg and his buddy Ed. You guys should've come back Saturday afternoon.

And Scott (why73), it was nice to meet you and chat for a bit. We will have to try to get together for a climb soon. Maybe you can come down to Blue Mound with us in October...???

To those who did come...
Thanks Everyone, it was GREAT! (and a special thanks to pelliott's wife Tammy for "letting Patrick come out to play" as fo_d would say! ). And, Anne, Matthew, and Shelly, thanks for the CONstant and conTINual laughter, throughOUT the weekend! You guys crack me up! (I think they need to see a psychiatrist Les... )

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Climb ON!

duskerhu/dann

fo_d

Aug 19, 2002, 4:05 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Saturday, The rain quit early but a really nasty wind came in, we waited till 2:00 but it didnt die down we headed out to the Southern Ramparts and after 2 hours of figuring out the access and setting a top rope, we climbed KGB5.7+. This route fun but I'm not sure it was worth all the access and setup issues. We headed out a little late and wound up braking down the TR and climbing out a nasty gully in the dark with one head lamp. We got back to camp and had a nice camp fire and a good nights sleep. NOTE: duskerhu is always prepared and is responsible for our one and only head lamp on the hike out, thanks Dann.

To be continued

[ This Message was edited by: fo_d on 2002-08-19 16:06 ]

duskerhu

Aug 20, 2002, 1:55 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're all welcome... I must say however that I'm a little disapointed in a couple of people concerning that situation... pelliott has his headlamp on in camp all the time and is THEE Gear Daddy! I thought for sure he'd have his with him in the "gear locker". And Arthur, "The Magician" (pumpkin_man), I was with you at REI Wednesday night when you told Faye, your better half, "I should have a headlamp...I need to get one!" Where was it when you needed it? Back in the tent at camp... OOOOOPPS!

Really, I didn't mind. We all "escaped" safely so, no prob.

fo_d

Aug 20, 2002, 12:56 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunday The best day of the trip in my opinion, the weather was perfect, temp in the upper 60's, a light breeze and lots of sunshine. We got up abput 8:30, broke camp and headed back to Palisade head, to my suprise we didnt have to wait in line for Quetico crack 5.8- **, we ran into Dan and Larry whom we'd met the day before, they had given us some bata on finding KGB, anyway, they were set up on Superior crack and gave pumpkin_man and pelliott a ride on thair rope and we pretty much spent the rest of the day there on these two outstanding offwidth cracks. Quetico crack is a 85' killer flake assending to the right and as is typical with offwidth, you jam with every part of your body except your hands. I didnt climb Superior crack but from what I saw, its a 85' overhanging offwidth, and as the guide book says: 'this route may elicit core cursing than any other route', that was soo true. The weather was so nice we hated to leave but responsibilities called so we took our time packing up our gear and headed out.

Summary The north shore is a cool but kinda intimidating place to climb, the ratings are a little stiff but they always seem to be on that type of rock. Next trip we will be a little more informed and prepared, and I think we need an extra day next year.
Thanks to everyone who came out, it was a good time.

Les

[ This Message was edited by: fo_d on 2002-08-20 13:00 ]

duskerhu

Aug 21, 2002, 1:45 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, lets talk about that "jam everything but your hands" thing you said Les...

I get up Monday afternoon, and now I'm REALLY sore. ALL OVER!!! Including my finger tips and finger nails. Tuesday morning I get home from work, and I'm about to go to bed and I see in the mirror, I've got a bruise on my right elbow and a scrape on my right shoulder. I sit down on the bed to set my alarm clock and notice I have another bruise on my left knee and another on my right shin. I also find I have a scrape on the outside of my right thigh (even though I was wearing some good Levi's).

I remember "jamming" just about everything I had in that crack (including my helmeted head at one point) but how is it that all these bruises, scrapes and aches show up TWO days later?

I've got some unfinished business. When are we going back?

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.55 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)
$3.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook