Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Stupid stuff done on the climbing wall....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

boesgaard

Aug 19, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Stupid stuff done on the climbing wall....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First stupid thing I have discovered was on a day this summer, when the rain came on and off.

This guy was belaying another girl, who had got pretty high up on the wall, when it started to rain a little. The guy probably did not like to get wet - so while "belaying" he moved away from the wall to get his jacket, and actually managed to put his jacket on while belaying....pretty stupid thing to do - I'm sure if the girl had fell, he would not have been able to hold her while struggling to get his jacket on.

The second stupid thing that could have evolved into and accident, involved me. I was lead-climbing. I got to the crux of the route, and after some struggling, I just had to lower myself to get a better footrest, and hang a little on the rope. Only problem is my belayer was focused on everything but me at that moment. So when she felt I was pulling on the rope, she just gave out more rope, which resulted in me falling a loooong way before she had control of the rope again.
Had it happened closer to the ground, I would probably have hit it. And had I taken a real fall...well - I'll try not to think of that.

So remember always to be totally focused and concentrated when youre belaying. And if you have the possibility, always keep your eyes on the climber.

...Have you got any stories you wish to share?

evs786

Aug 19, 2002, 2:42 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Stupid stuff done on the climbing wall.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing at a rock locally when I had just begun an 60 foot or so top rope. I got approx 20 feet up when the shale/granite my hand was holding onto shifted and I fell. The dynamic rope did its job; It stretched to break my fall, and my belayer did his; he locked off the rope on his B/R. The only problem was that we weighed approx the same amount and he started to lift up as I fell down. Thankfully, we had thought this through and he anchored himself to a nearby tree. The anchor caught and I fell almost to the ground, but If I had hit the ground, It would not have been much because he had stopped me. Just goes to show what a little pre-scenario planning can do.

interruptor

Aug 19, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first (and only till now) accident happened with my belayer reading the grigri instructions (top roping). He told me to start the climb but gave me too much slack at the begining and wasn't even looking at me (come on! it's an easy start on an easy route!). Well, my foot sliped at about 2m off the ground (wich was very rocky) and i fell, confident that i would just hang on the rope. instead, i fell directly to the floor (the rope streched when my ass hit the ground) and twisted my left hanckle.

DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES THE CLIMBER WHEN BELAYING!

The stupidest thing i've ever seen happende with two of my partners (when we were starting to climb). The first was leading and the second was feeling rather unconfortable with the harness. So, when the climber got to a rest point the other one just screamed from bellow "hang on to the rock, i'm gonna take the gri-gri off for a second!". And if we hadn't shouted at him not to take it off, he would have done it... stupid, stupid, stupid...

[ This Message was edited by: interruptor on 2002-08-19 03:01 ]

bigga

Aug 19, 2002, 4:57 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was at an outdoor climbing wall, and some kids came in and began climbing. As the kid was climbing up, the other kid was pulling the rope down but he didn't know he had to pull it through the grigri. So the kid who was climbing always felt the rope taught above him since his friend was pulling it in so he kept climbing, but the rope was just slacking down infront of the grigri. So four meters up the climber gets tired and decides to sit in his harness to rest. Bam, fell four meters and hit the ground. He was ok thank G-d but they put him in an ambulance just to be sure.

climbinganne

Aug 19, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yesterday on lead, i went to set up the top=rope and i started to lose my only hand, I had the sling with the locking biners already in my other hand to lock into the coldshuts so instead of putting it back on my harness, to free my hand to reposition myself, i used my teeth to hold it and...i chipped my tooth (actually two teeth) very minor but...

do not use your teeth to hold metal objects!!!!

Partner missedyno

Aug 19, 2002, 2:28 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i for one HATE when people try to chat with me when i'm lead belaying.... i pay attention to my leader, same as i'd want them to pay attention to me when i'm on lead....

djmacedonas

Aug 24, 2002, 3:20 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We got mixed up with some routes in Maple Canyon, Utah...had the 50M rope on a 60M route and vice versa... after the two leaders climbed their respective routes, they should have realized that one route was longer...but they didn't. When the guy on the 60M route was being lowered the rope zipped through the belayers hand and right through the ATC, since a knot had not been tied in the end of the rope. (Luckily I was the other belayer). Miraculously, the belayer caught the end of the rope and held it until the leader could get a hold on the rock. Otherwise he would have decked from 20-25 feet up!

That close call made the rest of that trip very somber and scary.

djm

GET IN THE HABIT OF SECURING YOUR ENDS!!

[ This Message was edited by: djmacedonas on 2002-08-24 03:21 ]

rendog

Aug 25, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LESSON LEARNED!!!

while belaying make sure that there is a knot tied into the end of the rope when on a long route. about three years ago i saw someone get dropped. not too far about 15 feet, but it still resulted in two badly bruised heels.

Poor bugger walked with a limp for aroundthree months. If you're unsure how long the route is, ask someone for some beta and TIE A DAMN STOPPER KNOT IN THE END IF THE ROPE>

"D"

john1987

Aug 25, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep common sense is hard to come by these days.
John

Partner coldclimb

Aug 25, 2002, 10:17 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at the gym once and happened to turn around just in time to see some kid's harness fall completely off in mid-climb. I have no clue how it happened, but he was stuck on the wall and had to downclimb without a belay to get down. Gyms are dangerous places sometimes, because of the inexperience involved.

collegekid

Aug 25, 2002, 10:50 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the common theme among these posts is that someone was being stupid while belaying the climber....
The simple solution is don't use ropes!
BOULDER;)

fixxervi6

Sep 3, 2002, 2:31 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been dropped repeatedly (spell), while teaching people to belay, I HATE gri-gri's, they scare me, I've been dropped (short distances) 3 times on gri gri's and only once on atc, it was a first timer getting their first real belay, it was like a 7 footer onto my back, still hurt like hell. gri gri's teach bad habits, I hate them.

jt512

Sep 3, 2002, 5:49 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:gri gri's teach bad habits

I'm curious as to how an inanimate object can accomplish this. Gri-gri's don't teach anything. What is happening is that nobody is teaching good habits.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook