Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
More of the Tango Roof has fallen
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alexnees

Mar 12, 2006, 2:47 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1002 views)
Shortcut

More of the Tango Roof has fallen  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Ralph_Stover_State_Park__aka_High_Rocks_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,
Yesterday (March 11) I made my first trip out to Stover since this past November. Sometime over the course of this past winter, another HUGE block has fallen out of the Tango Roof, landing right next to Picnic Rock. For those who know the area, there was a route sometimes referred to as "Tango Direct" that climbed the left-facing corner & face up under the roof, and then followed a bomber finger crack out the roof and over onto a lip. Roughly 5.8, and a super-fun trad lead. That route is now gone: the block that provided the crack and lip is the one that fell.
I didn't get a chance to get up there yesterday to take a close look, but it seems as though pulling that roof is now gonna be seriously HARD. From the ground it looks totally blank for a body-length, with no good holds over the lip.
Old guidebooks indicate that this is not the first piece of the roof to come down: years ago, even more of it was up there, and the hardest route at Stover, a 5.13, went out the original roof. Pieces of that ceiling came down year ago, creating the easy (5.8) finger crack. Now maybe it's 5.13 again, and hopefully the rest of it is gonna stay up there.

Anyone out there have info about when the sections of roof came down? Anyone out there already get up to the roof to take a look and try it out?
Post up info on attempts, etc here!

~A

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$57.31 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook