Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Lost Jacket at Olive Oil
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chalkfree

Mar 20, 2006, 6:43 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Lost Jacket at Olive Oil  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon: Juniper_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently lead a group of students from St. Scholastica College in MN on a trip to red rocks, the last day we had a minor epic on Olive Oil and a girl named Alex Eck forgot her jacket (with her wallet in the pocket) at the base of the canyon just below the rose tower. If anybody is headed out that way she'd appreciate it back, I'm sure we can make an arrangement for payment for shipping at the least.

mur

Mar 20, 2006, 9:40 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lost Jacket at Olive Oil [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out there yesterday walking in the lovely snow, didn't see anything like a jacket. Honestly though I wasn't looking for one either, and visibility was poor. Where was it left? Near the start of the route, near the descent gully? I am heading out there again tomorrow morning for a long hike, and would be happy to look around for it.

chalkfree

Mar 21, 2006, 6:31 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was in the big bush below the approach gully, there's a little meeting of two paths there. It's just 50-100ft downhill from the spot where the trail gets close to the rock.

mur

Mar 21, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No dice on the jacket today. It was spectacular up there, (read as really stormy), but I forgot my camera so I am going back tommorrow. I don't get to enjoy much real weather here, so when it happens I get in it. At least I know where to look now, for some reason I thought it was at a fork on the main trail, (reading skills), but at least I am now on good terms with every big bush in about a 200 acre area. :P

Have you contacted Travis @ DRS, or the climbing gym. If someone grabbed it already maybe, (hopefully), they dropped it off.

chalkfree

Mar 22, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Alex is on that herself, she's just not really very forum savy, so I posted up for her. Thanks man, you must be getting to know that trail really well by now, I bet you only walk into the cacti occasionally.

mur

Mar 22, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that trail and I go way back, and the cacti and I have an understanding.

Unfortunately no jacket. Met some folks who had just done the route, and they had not seen it either. Hopefully some good person will do the right thing; clean it, fold it, wrap it up nicely, and send it to her. Thing that gets me, is that if it was someplace pretty easy to spot, the only folks going up there are climbers. The fact that her wallet with ,(I assume), an ID and address, was in it would make it a pretty FUBAR thing if she never gets it back. :cry:

She should check with the RR canyon Visitor Center too, they have a lost and found.

chalkfree

Mar 22, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the walking about. I really appreciate it. I expect that it's probly in the mail by now, at least I hope so.

She called Travis today and has the Visitor center on look out for it too. Thanks again.

Joe

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)
$105.30 (10% off)
$51.26 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook