Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
a Red Rocks climb for young beginner
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner phylp

Mar 28, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3391 views)
Shortcut

a Red Rocks climb for young beginner  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon: A_Red_Rock_Overview)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be in Vegas to meet with some family and I wanted to take my 9 year old niece on her first outdoor climb. She's been in the gym a number of times. A face climb at 5.5 or 5.6 (5.7?) with an easy approach would be ideal. Her parents, who are, let's say, not outdoorsy, will be doing the approach with us.

My husband, who is also a climber, will be with me, and we will have two ropes, so it does not have to be a sport length pitch.

I've scanned though the guidebook...
Has anyone done the easy routes with huecos at the left side of Brass Wall? I've been up there but I cannnot remember if the approach was strenuous.

How is the approach to Cat in the Hat for tourists? How is that first pitch?

Thanks for any info. Phyl

jason_martin

Mar 28, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Re: a Red Rocks climb for young beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The routes on the left hand side of the Brass Wall are nice. However, for a person who is out of shape or overweight, the approach may be strenuous. Cat in the Hat is a multi-pitch climb with the same problem as the Brass Wall. It's a bit of a hike to get in and if you go the wrong way it can get bushwacky.

If you want to do a multi-pitch route with your niece, I would suggest Rising Moons (5.5) or Solar Slab Gully (5.5). I'm a local climbing guide and have brought children up each of these routes. Though I have to admit that there were a few tears shed on Solar Slab Gully from a 10 year old girl I brought up with her mother last year.

The problem with the multi-pitch routes in Red Rock is the approaches. You probably don't want to bring people who are not fit or are not "outdoorsy" on the adventure approaches that abound in Red Rock Canyon.

If you would like to bring your niece's parents and make the approach short, I would suggest a single pitch climb like Abby Road (5.4) in Moderate Mecca, or Chips and Salsa (5.3) on the Tuna and Chips Wall, or perhaps the best option is Fender Bender (5.5) in Sandstone Quarry. This last climb is literally three minutes from the car.

Good luck!

Jason

rockguide

Mar 28, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moderate mecca has some nice easy routes. Willow springs does as well - the crag to the right of ragged edges has some easier climbing.

If you think about going and setting up a top rope on the first pitch of a multipitch climb as an option - think again. Unless you climb it like a regular party and leave you will create one of the more unpleasant social epics imaginable.

The famous example is some guys showing up and setting a TR on the first pitch of Louise falls (four pitch ice route - and local classic) and then trying to keep the conga line of rope teams from climbing the route above.

mur

Mar 28, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calico Basin would be good and easy. Cow lick crag comes to mind, 5.6 to 5.8ish, plus easy to set up TR. Right across from it are 3 nice easy trad lines if you get the itch. Walk right up a dirt road for 1/4 mile.

Other would be Panty wall, which has nicely bolted leads, and some TR possibilities. 5.5ish to 5.10. Approach is a bit more involved however.

edit fer speelin'

Partner phylp

Mar 29, 2006, 7:24 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the excellent suggestions.

Rockguide, thanks for your reminder about the multi-pitch traffic jam potential. Although we will be there midweek, I forgot that this is the "Easter Break" week!! Argh, crowds!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$62.96 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook