Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rocknroll

Sep 15, 2004, 8:13 AM
Post #1 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

D.L.F.A. - Any members out there?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Devils Lake Fuckness Association...only was taunted by them. later in life to become freindly with some members such as Bill Russel, Ned Guy, Bill McChesney and the infamous Prob Lemon (boyhood chum). Any other members? What was the intiation? The favorite swill? Did Rob Lemon really meet Pink Floyd at the Devils Lake Campground? Did anyone ever get caught running from the Rangers?

poppasmearf

Sep 15, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #2 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Re: D.L.F.A. - Any members out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a legend in these parts.....We'll be blessed if we can see some good stories posted.

I dont know if these are members, but a great old school pic regardless...

http://www.climbingdevilslake.com/community/album/187.html

salisbur1

Sep 29, 2004, 5:34 PM
Post #3 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow.. just stumbled ( figuratively, this time ) across this site and there's all sorts of messages of interest. Perhaps you are the Woodchuck Stabber? Guy's a high power alcoholic stock trader, Chez is a father and the owner of a huge pair of man boobs, Russells a Ditch rat.... the vice prez pushed it a little too hard and is brain damaged, Lemmons still out there.. mentally that is, psuedo member Clean Dan just bit it from heroin addiction.... The fun just never ends. Me? I'm the Duke of Puke no matter what anyone else says, though Dale was pretty good at it too. I've retired though and had to kick myself out of the club for being lite. The Drug Machine is a new, recovering daddy now. Prunes is moping on a farm out there afaik. Images in my mind of him wiggling in the street outside the Square tavern, screaming "I'm F****d! I'm F****d!" still amuse me. I don't know if anyone's still walking the fine line.. some still climb, the lite weights can't hack it.

DoP ( retired )

potreroed

Jan 6, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Originally known as the Devil's Lake Mother F#uckers the Midwest version of the famous East Coast Vulgarians went through a lot of changes and toning down from the days when Tommy Deuschler and Rich Bechler used to hump cases of beer up to the Chicago Mountaineers private campground where they lived illegally. Aside from all the pranks the main thing was climbing hard and blowing away all the old standards.

brucec

Apr 27, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #5 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DLFA circa 1979-80 stream of consciousness ramblings. Climbing trees at the CCC camp with ice tools and crampons... the South shore campground before dawn - a sea of clubbers in sleeping bags behind tourista's tents..getting up before the owners of the site or rangers knew they were there. Irish Coffee - well, a little Coffee poured into the Vodka on New Years day on the east bluffs. Mean Dean the drug machine, Rod S. (Where are you guys now?) and I getting busted at some boulders on the balanced rock trail after dean offers the plainclothes ranger a hit and some wine. The Passamede. Retreating lysergic ledge at midnight in a stupor to avoid a dispute with a resident rodent. "Flaming F@#$ness of alcohol" Yukon Jack and Mickey's Ale..Bill R. leading the "Free Rob Lemon!" shouts outside the courthouse after Rob was hauled off to the Baraboo jail for unknown infractions. half a dozen of us dodging rangers (excuse me, Fully Deputized Officers of the Law" ..flat out on top of the bluffs after shooting bottle rockets at fishermen on the 4th of July. "hoop hoop-ing" to find the clubbers. Woodchuck Stabber - aka "stabber-baby"- a threat to wildlife and more or less a danger to himself. Did you ever get published? Sleeping in Pete's sauna ..Cultivating tourists and croutons for food and beer. Camel chlorides and 'shrooms. Rob - a master of the dance of jackness spining around on one foot by the fire with a beer in one hand and a jay in the other both outstretched .."I was sooo jacked"- drinking a beer while hanging from your heels on the South shore pavillion - "Drink til you puke!"
Oh yeah - and climbing some damn hard stuff for the time in EB's and Adidas. jeese that was a time. I wonder why I don't remember more...?

studs

Apr 29, 2005, 9:29 AM
Post #6 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont know if he was officially a clubber or not.But wat happened to Rick Kraft as in Rick Kraft summer of 79 in the Valley?A true leader in the search for fuckness.

rkraft

Aug 12, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #7 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just turned on to this thread where someone is asking about Rick Kraft. He picked up racing cars in the 80's and I crushed my skull and fractured my shoulder a few years ago. People think I am retarded and are real kind to me and give me dollar bills so life is basically good. I read something about Clean Dan biting it from an overdose?

7robbster3

Mar 5, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #8 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that you've forgotten perhaps one of the most infamous members... Pete Chesko!

dperrea

Mar 25, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #9 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

... and an off-shoot... the Y.V.F.A. (Yosemite Valley Fu@%ness Association).

I remember their motto:

"Drink to puke, puke to bleed, bleed to drink... its a vicious circle."

Bill Russell, Pete Chesko, a couple of the members.

7robbster3

Mar 25, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #10 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dperrea
Lo, could it be? the long lost professor emeritus of the YVFA......DP,
or as he was ever so affectionately known as.....dare I say it? Yes!....BR?
Robb in Montana
aka: cat box
PS: The firecrackers were great....hearing's a little funny in the left ear though..........

dperrea

Mar 30, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #11 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's hard for me to know... and if I don't, how could you expect to?

"Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."

-The Mock Turtle

7robbster3

Mar 31, 2006, 2:22 AM
Post #12 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Talk to me dude! Do you know who I am?

7robbster3

Mar 31, 2006, 2:27 AM
Post #13 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dperrea.......hhmmmmm......ult!!!!
Talk to me if you recognize who this is. You might want to look up weenis as well over at www.supertopo.com. Most of the old-school valley gang is there.
cat box

dperrea

Mar 31, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #14 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many "things" dost I know... yes, I know who thou arst. By chance, werst thou Born Free?

If this is so, my guess is your eyes be "red."

Har, har, har, matey. May I say: "Hunta...?"

7robbster3

Mar 31, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #15 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Born Free indeed!!!
GANJA MAN UNITE!!!!! ONE GOUD FOR US ALL!!!!!!

Wait.......
Urgent message from our fearless leader, General Boy:
Booogie Boy, atune thyself to the following site

www.andrewdoss.com/media/Puppet%20Boy.wmv

report back your findings!
cat box

rudotis

Apr 2, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #16 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am one of the founding members. Rudy Rudotis ala Jim Rudolph, Tom Duechler, and Bill Russell began the 10 days of f....ness back in the late '70's. Whoop, whoop.

rudotis

Apr 2, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #17 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can answer any of your DLFA questions as a founding member with Tom Deuchler and Bill Russell we did some pretty crazy s... I have some killer photos of a mid air fall while trying to lead vivesection. I also lead climb "The End". With only a single piece of protection, it certainly would have been the "End" of me had I fallen. Looking to find any other old DLFA members like Tom Deuchler, Bill Russell, Rob Lemon, or Bob Horan. Send questions or replies to rudolph@doall.com

rudotis

Apr 2, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #18 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This old club is no folklore. As a surviving member, I can recount many stories including the pics from a mid air fall while leading vivesection, and the mid air leap while first leading "the end". Known also as "rudy rudotis" I traveled the country with Tom Deuchler and Bill Russell climbing the hollywood and vine route on Devils Tower and putting up a first ascent of Cathedral Point in Montana.

rudotis

Apr 2, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #19 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He may have thought he did the night he downed 3 hits of LSD and we had to take his keys from him so he wouldn't wreck his dad'd Benz. As a DLFA member from the start I can say we had MANY run in's with the rangers. In fact I had a bag of weed plucked right out of my hand one night when one of them stepped from the shadows of our campfire. I got away though.

rudotis

Apr 2, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #20 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where have they all gone? This is Rudy Rudotis and as a founding member would like to coordinate a fully sponsored 10 days of fuckness, just like the old days. If you know how to find Rob Lemon, Tom Deuchler, Bill Russell, or Bob Horan please let me know. rudolph@doall.com

7robbster3

Apr 2, 2006, 6:31 PM
Post #21 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go ask over at www.supertopo.com

rudotis

Apr 2, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #22 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello from rudy rudotis - Jim Rudolph. I was there too, and it was crazy. Looking to hook up with some of the old DLFA. Any contact info can be sent to Jim Rudolph rudolph@doall.com

fingertrouble

Apr 3, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #23 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought it meant "Devil's Lake F*ckness Association," a take-off on the Devil's Lake Freeclimbing Association of yesteryear.
In reply to:
The Mountaineering Handbook"]Back in the Midwest when I first started climbing, my friends and I would start the day in the cavernous confines of The Alpine, a restaurant that ladled out great heaps of the artery-clogging fare for which Wisconsin is famous. After we were completely bloated we’d stagger out into the sunlight, fall into cars, and head for the local crag, satisfied that we were beginning our day with an alpine start.
We'd head for the Lake and try our hands at the lines put up by the likes of John Gill and Pete Cleveland. Many tried, few succeeded. Among those who did were some of the most chemically impaired (enhanced?). At dusk began the eternal search for a place to camp, which brings back memories of cat and mouse campsite games with the much-maligned Chicago Mountaineering Club--until we were ostracized altogether. Of Steve Sangdahl, Kingsbury in hand, walking the fine line of f*ckness through the campfire. Or of the group being banned from the Avalon, despite our disproportionate contribution to their cash flow, merely because Rich Bechler ripped the sink out of the restroom and caused some minor flooding. In 1985 a tiny, hand typed guidebook was published, "Extremist's guide to Devil's Lake new climbs," which was the first attempt AFAIK to assign YDS ratings to climbs instead of the CMC's F system; it also attempted to date and credit FAs. Tommy Deutchler and Rich Bechler appear often, and Ralph Schmitt. There's at least one other RC.com member whose name is in that book: Rich Goldstone. John Gill has started a thread on Pete Cleveland, which brings back some fond reminiscing about a truly inspiring guy.

7robbster3

Apr 14, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #24 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dperrea!
duuuude, like shoot me an email man
cat box

tnwagener

May 1, 2006, 4:08 AM
Post #25 of 31 (26956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just stumbled upon this post I have been a member of RC.Com for a little while and am a very little in the know about the DLFA as My uncle and aunt Paul and Sandy Wagener (Sandy Spearshneider) are members. got to know Pete through Paul and Sandy getting me into this sport and Pete opening up his shop last summer in B.Boo. Got to take sandy out climbing for the first time this year Saturday and met Jeff (Fox?) and a couple other members that day. Paul is unfortunately out for a while because of breaking his back at Cascade in Feb. he hopes to be getting out to the crag to Belay and visit this summer and if all goes well possible doing some easier climbs by the end of the summer.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook