RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 11, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Relocating to North Carolina / Job Prospects
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All,
I am currently trying to relocate to Western N.C. Most likely the Boone, Morganton, Asheville area. I have a very strong professional/business background in numerous industries involving sales, marketing and management. I also have experience running a small guiding company. I am wondering if anyone on this site would have or know of any job offerings in the area and be interested in talking with me. Thanks all.

dynamicpanda

Apr 11, 2006, 9:14 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Re: Relocating to North Carolina / Job Prospects [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I never got around to replying to your pm, but I dont really have any business connections since I'm only in High School. The only thing that I can recommend about your situation is not picking Morganton. While it is pretty centrally located, this town will eventually drive you insane. It isn't actually in the mountains and it is best known for its retirement homes (there are TONS of old people) and hospital for the mentally ill (Broughton). The music-scene is nonexistant, there is no public gym, and the closest local climbing is at least 45 minutes away. Seriously, the only fun thing we have is a movie theater. I would pick either Asheville or Boone (or most places west of here) 1,000 times before moving to Morganton. Once again, sorry for not responding to your pm.
-Jamie

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 12, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man, thanks! That's pretty much what I have been hearing from people about Morganton. Looks like Asheville is where it's at. Anyone else?

dukeandbeads

Apr 12, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in western NC (eons ago) and my Dad lives in one of those Morganton retirement homes.

Don't go to Morganton! Truly, there is nothing there. You have a view of the mountains, but that's about it.

Boone is a cool college town, with a lot of outdoor opportunity. Asheville is a little more up-scale, but still a neat place. If I moved back to NC, it would be to Asheville. If I were 20 years younger, it would be Boone.

Anne

erin

Apr 12, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #5 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My boyfriend (Joshy8200) and I talk about where we might like to settle in a few years, and Asheville is our top choice. Boone has been thrown around as well, but it doesn't really have a "permanent" vibe-IMHO. Possibly this is due to the college town environment.

Asheville is a gorgeous area, with good schools, good shopping prospects, and just nicer in general.

Anyway, good luck!

maimed

Apr 12, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #6 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was totally keen to move to Asheville about a year ago, and the town sounded like a fantastic place. But the hoped-for teaching job for my wife failed to materialize so now we're moving to Boulder CO... :lol:

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 12, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies all. It definitely sounds like Asheville is where it's at. I am going to head down for a week to see what I can get going. I'll be there the first week of May. How is the economy there?

boo

Apr 12, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #8 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would beg to differ on the schools in Asheville. I lived there for one year and left largely d/t the public schools. K-8 have flight issues. ie, if people can afford to send them to private schools, they do. The schools were functioning under a court order of restructure (term may be wrong) while we were there and it showed. I moved my 3rd grader after two weeks at the first school. (It was visually obvious that they segregated classrooms. How I simply do not know, but that was unacceptable.) She was half a grade behind when we left, and she was a year ahead when she got there. The high schools are good compared to the state average. I know there was a lot of effort being put into remedying this. It has only been three years...I hope it has improved.

That said, it is an awesome community to live in as an adult. Price disparity exists b/n the job market and available housing. Professional employment is limited. When you find something, don't stroke over the salary...look at the cost of living you desire first. The two might match.

Fantastic restaurants and one of the better live music scenes around the SE. The Orange Peel is a great draw, as is Stella Blue.

jaboyd510

Apr 12, 2006, 4:32 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

having lived in Morganton, Boone and now asheville over the past 6 years, if I could find a schweet job in Morganton, i would move there. Cost of living is significantly below that of the other two areas, lots and lots of climbing very close (not as close as boone but WAY closer than asheville), beautiful living out by the lake. Asheville, hard to find a job, expensive, hard to find reasonable housing, climbing is at least 45 mins away at closest. Boone is the BEST for climbing, unmatched however no jobs and again expensive housing and cost of living. Morganton, in my opinion, has the best balance.

climbinganne

Apr 13, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you may even want to consider one of the smaller surrounding communities like Weaverville (up and coming), Black Mtn (prolly as spendy as asheville or more so) or Brevard (we are in Brevard...kick ass schools). all are close enough to commute to asheville and pending you situation (we have kids) asheville proper may not be the best place to live. if you're young, single, no attachments, i'd say go for asheville.

btw, tons of people are flipping houses in the area and doing fine so far....though the end may be near.

Partner macherry

Apr 13, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from Events & Gatherings to US - South.

texhanson

Apr 14, 2006, 7:13 AM
Post #12 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in asheville, and the job market is harsh. But, if you want to be outside (ie guiding) check out aee.org for listings with area at risk youth leadership camps. Most are year round, have room and board, and offer opportunities for advancement. Also the camp scene is quite prevelant. Check out aca.com (I think) for camp listings. It's american camping association. They could sure use a person with a strong buisness background, and the camp life is great. Besides that, real estate seemed to be a big thing. And NASCAR t shirt sales. Which ever you prefer. Boone could use anotehr bar if you are in that sort of industry...
If you want some more advidce on the area, pm me.

whipperman

Apr 14, 2006, 1:22 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On Asheville...

If you're ok with renting a house, or don't have kids and are willing to live in rural buncombe county, you'll have no trouble finding affordable housing in Asheville. The rents are low in comparison with housing prices. Finding a job with decent pay is the big challenge.

It is still a small town economy despite all of the hype. It will take you longer than you expect to find a job... but you can find them. You have to expect to be underemployed though. Show up in a few years and you should be able to mop up on all the housing foreclosures when dreams of being able to move to the mountains and live in that "cheap" bungalow" fall to the reality of adjustable rate mortgages. Hah, I've got one too but I rent it out to some NYers who wanted to move to the mountains.

Don't expect Asheville to be a rock mecca like Boulder, CO and Boone. The closest spot, Rumbling Bald is 45 minutes away and is too hot from May-September. Looking glass about an hour away. Highland areas about an hour and 20min. The mountain biking and trail running are the real draws, you've got endless options really close to town.

Oh and if you do decide to come to NC, respect the local ethics. Pull hard, be humble, and don't add new bolts.

ottoman

Apr 14, 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess to say Winston Salem or Greensboro would be better for Job opportunities and Houseing, although tough to beat the Mountains for scenery. Closest climbing for me is 4 areas only 30 minutes away. Good Luck!

delynn

Apr 14, 2006, 1:42 PM
Post #15 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Asheville---
I lived in Asheville for about sixth months, and I really enjoyed it. I am currently considering relocating to either Montana -Missoula or Bozeman- or North Carolina - Boone or Asheville. I really enjoyed living in North Carolina. The people are nice, and the music is good, and the scenery is great!
I was considering Asheville, but I think that if I choose North Carolina, I would like to be closer to rock, so maybe I would choose Boone.
I am going to be up that way in May. I will be passing through on a trip to Washington for a writer's conference. I am also an artist; I make lamps, so I was going to try and push my product while I am on my trip. I will be moving in June, but where I move will depend on the best market.
Oh, Black Mountain is nice too!
Anyway, good luck, Angie Delynn

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 14, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #16 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I a getting some good advice and mixed signals here. I obviously want to move somehwere that is really close to climbing. I don't mind commuting 30-45minutes for work. Can anyone tell me a place that might fit that? Thanks all. Oh, by the way, my current title is Vice President of Business Development. I am looking for work in Sales, Management, Business Development or mareting. Thanks everyone.

rex_kwan_do

Apr 14, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #17 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boone or Winston-Salem. Lots more climbing in Boone, but VERY limited job market for what you are looking for. Winston is extremely close to Pilot, Moore's, Sauratown, and a much better job market. Not as pretty as the mountains, but a decent compromise. I'm also looking to get back to western NC, but the jobs just aren't there.

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 16, 2006, 2:05 PM
Post #18 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I certainly have a lot to think about. I am applying to job postings online, but I fear I may need to spend some time in the area to obtain what I want. I will be down there the last weekend of April through the first weekend of May (although I might have to go to Sweden for my current job). Maybe some of you wouldn't mind showing me around and climbing. I truly appreciate everyone's information so far, please keep it coming.

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 17, 2006, 9:05 PM
Post #19 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP

rokshoxbkr19

Apr 19, 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #20 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump again

dynamicpanda

Apr 23, 2006, 3:22 AM
Post #21 of 21 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Boone or Winston-Salem. Lots more climbing in Boone, but VERY limited job market for what you are looking for. Winston is extremely close to Pilot, Moore's, Sauratown, and a much better job market. Not as pretty as the mountains, but a decent compromise. I'm also looking to get back to western NC, but the jobs just aren't there.

Just keep in mind that Winston-Salem isn't actually in the mountains. In Winson you will be stuck in burning hot central North Carolina and you wont be able to see any mountains. While Moores, Pilot, and Sauratown are close, anywhere else is a gonna be a long drive. Asheville is pretty centrally located as far as climbing goes. Some people dont like it because there just isn't a truly local area in town. If jobs only allowed me to move to Winston-Salem, I would give up on moving to NC.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook