RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Mar 21, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Is Your Crag for Sale?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Another thread here.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact:
Robb Shurr, Access Fund
303-545-6772 x100
robb@accessfund.org

Policy Information Contact:
Jason Keith, Access Fund
(303) 545-6772 x102
jason@accessfund.org

Act Now to Prevent the Sale of Climbing Areas on Public Forest Service Land

March 17, 2005, Boulder, CO-The Access Fund is rallying local climbing advocates to ensure that a United States Forest Service plan to sell 200,000 acres of public National Forest land in 31 states does not result in the loss of public climbing resources. The Forest Service has created an auction list of lands scheduled for sale. However, they may revise their list in response to public comments. The deadline for revisions is March 30th. Once a final auction list is determined, it must be approved by Congress.

Because there is so much land up for sale, we need your help to determine if your local crag could be sold- go to http://www.geocommunicator.gov/...EL2/map.jsp?Map=USFS and select map "USFS RURAL SCHOOLS" or http://www.fs.fed.us/...taff/rural-pdf.shtml and click on your forest for a PDF map. If you see your local crag indicated on the map, write and tell the Forest Service to remove your climbing area from the auction list. Also, send us an email at ActionAlert@accessfund.org

Climber letters to the Forest Service are needed to ensure that public climbing areas are not sold before the auction list is submitted to Congress. The Forest Service will receive comments to their proposed list of lands for sale through March 30. Send email to SRS_Land_Sales@fs.fed.us , and written comments to:

USDA Forest Service
SRS Comments, Lands 4S
1400 Independence Ave., SW, Mailstop 1124
Washington, DC, 20250-0003.

Faxes go to (202) 205-1604

The Access Fund will be following up with additional action items after the USFS has submitted its list to Congress.

Why is this important to climbers and why is it important that the climbing community present a unified voice in opposition to this ill-conceived plan? The Forest Service, who says that they are only considering isolated parcels that no longer meet national forest system needs, have nonetheless included previously proposed wilderness and popular recreation areas on the auction list. Public Land sales set a dangerous precedent, by relying on the permanent sale of public resource to fund local schools and road projects. Selling off America's natural heritage is not the way to fund short-term budget needs to pay for government services. Short-term gains would be offset by the permanent loss of public lands, and profits from the proposed sales would fall far short of what's needed to help rural governments pay for schools and otherbasic services.

The Access Fund is in favor of federal funding for rural schools and roads but does want the permanent sale of public lands to only temporarily support this program. FOR MORE INFORMATION and letter-writing talking points, go to http://www.accessfund.com/display/page/AA/30

hillbillywannabe

Mar 31, 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Your Crag for Sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how do we know what is what? i dont know what county these places are in. and i dont know its letter number code... do you know how this thing works?

Partner j_ung

Mar 31, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jackflash posted this article, which now gives us an alternative to suggest in our correspondence to elected officials. I just wrote new letters.

http://us.cnn.com/...d.sale.ap/index.html

bighigaz

Apr 11, 2006, 5:27 AM
Post #4 of 5 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In case Any Zonies are interested, Kaibab areas are just east of Davenport Lake on I-40 (West of Flagstaff), and a little further east on I-40 at Dennis Tank (a little closer to Flag). Not sure what's there other than beautiful rolling foothills and pines nestled among suburban development, but somebody should know if any climbing resources are threatened... I'll check it out if I get out that way... The Forks are definately safe... for now...

For the record, the geocommunicator/viewer thing was really not too difficult to use.

Apache Sitgreaves I know less about... areas surrounding the Woodland Reservoir, (lots of trees, no climbing)... in the Pinetop-Lakeside area... Looks like something I'd like to buy! (hmmm...)

Oh, and East of Fools Hollow lake on AZ 260... NW of Show Low... Again, some nice land I'd like to get my hands on! Don't think any climbing areas are in danger though...

Finally, the hardest to find... still not sure I got it... but if you make your way to Clifton (don't know why you's wanna go there...) and wander onto unnamed roads to the Northwest you might find it...

I must have been bored, cause other than Kaibab on I-40, I'll probably never set eyes on these places for more than 2 blinks!

I feel better now, though. I did my homework... My crag is definately NOT for sale.

powho

Apr 12, 2006, 6:12 AM
Post #5 of 5 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sure is.

http://www.utahrealestate.com/584243

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook