Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Constructive Criticism
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

xxmarinexboyxx

Apr 12, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Constructive Criticism  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Raleigh_Rock_Yard)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is nothing worse than stepping into a gym and thinking, "holy crap. This place is so cool,but could be way cooler..." that's just how i felt about Raleigh's indoor rock gym, The Rock Yard.
I'm stationed down in Lejeune so it's quite a drive for me. (3 hours). And this would have to be my 2nd trip up to The Rock Yard. So right off the bat you should be thinking I'm either passionate or crazy. Either way. I have some things to say and sincerely hope they get heard. Now don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful facility, and a great place to climb. Especially boulder. If you want to Boulder. Rock Yard is the place to be. But there are flaws. Little things that are big things. To me. And i doubt I'm the only one. So keep reading.
I don't care if you're the owner or an employee or even a die hard customer. Please don't take anything of what I'm about to say the wrong way. Take it as constructive criticism. If you get butt hurt about it. Good. But if you find your self nodding in agreement. Even better.
For starters. What's the first thing you notice when you walk in? The walls right? Not necessarily the shapes of the walls or even the holds. But the paint. What is going on there? Did you unleash a pack of pre-schoolers armed to the teeth with spray paint throwing random crap on the walls for the sake of throwing crap on the walls? I don't get it. Not only does it make your gym look trashy (maybe that's the look you're going for) it's harder to follow boulder routes when you have this insane orgy of color just strewn about. Another thing on your routes. Those tags. A lot of them are either missing or coming off. OK, so back to crummy paint on walls. I'm not going to bitch with out offering a solution. You guys seriously need to shut down shop for a week. Pull everything out. Pads and equipment. CLEAN. Buy a Hoover or something, bleach the floors. I don't care. STRIP THE WALLS. Paint the walls. Don't be afraid to put sand into the mix. Not only will it look neat, you're wall will now have texture. Wait a minute? That's more to climb on. Hmmmm....... Cool. so paint the walls. You don't have to paint the entire gym one color. duh. But break the gym into sections. Make it interesting, use solid colors, maybe shading. Air brush is pretty cool. But if you must use spray paint or finger paint, don't make it distracting or gay. Alright. so now you can clearly see all the holds now, the wall has texture and you can easily follow routes. Moving on.
I've noticed in certain areas especially in the cave and inside that tower. There are entire bare spots. Zero holds. Especially in essential spots where you're feet need to go. I love caves. The whole climbing upside down with out a rope. The ability to rotate 360 degrees just for the hell of it. Well, I'm no pro but I need my holds. As a matter of fact. I had so much fun in your cave. But there were things my ability's hinder me from doing. So I kindly asked permission to put up some holds in those empty spots. But you guys need to work on that. I am aware you had a climbing comp. not too long ago. That's really no excuse.
Your facility is very long and narrow. Not all but most of the two out bourn walls are just sheet rock. You can't put holds in sheet rock of course, but why don't you rip it out and put up ply wood or something? To me. It's just a waste of potential area. Just to be able to traverse around entire gym with out having to get off the wall or being hindered. That would be cool.
I've got this stupid pet peeve. Out dated posters. You have a million of them. Especially ones of up-coming events that have already passed. I'm always looking at them and getting disappointed. It's just an over all dick tease. So clean up shop ever once in a while. It wouldn't kill you.
I can't really think of anything else. But if you're still reading, than you're obviously still interested. Listen. I'm not trying to bad mouth this gym. It's really a great gym. Don't get me wrong. But it can be so much better. But if I had to choose between The Rock Yard or The Climbing Place in Fayetteville. I would go to Fayetteville. And what you should be asking your self is simply. Is this guy just some A-hole with a big mouth or does he offer valid points? Is he the only one who feels this way? Probably not. How many other people do you think think the way I do? Is it worth not doing anything about? Is it worth losing mine or their business? Hell no. Do something about it. I encourage you.
Thank you for your time,
xxmarinexboyxx

cintune

Apr 12, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Re: Constructive Criticism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym I go to is like a thousand miles away, but it sounds the same. This is good and bad. Repainting, cleaning, etc. are all good but there's also the sense of having it just grungy enough that it doesn't become poser central. A little mess keeps the gumbys away, not to mean you, but just too many people, even if they all pull hard.
But yeah, sure would be nice it there wasn't a 1/3" layer of chalk in all the corners, and the pads and carpets were clean, and the walls repainted. Takes time and money, though.
No excuse for not putting holds up where there are holes for them. They can always be considered off.
Also, those old posters might have, y'know, spiritual value. depends on the sense of community the place has. Since you're not a regular this might be part of what makes it look trashy to you. If you already think of it as "your" gym, it's easier to ignore the flaws and concentrate on climbing.
Last, adding sand to paint either results in ripped up shoes and skin, or else it's too smooth to mean much.

xxmarinexboyxx

Apr 14, 2006, 9:02 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the feed back. honestly, i wouldn't even care if they mixed sand into the paint. it was just a suggestion. none the less. the walls need to be re-painted. some would argue that hey, the gym is the way it is cause that's what gives them that special charm. it does in a way. but i've been to gyms up and down the east coast and the impression i get at The Rock Yard isn't charm but neglect.

trenchdigger

Apr 14, 2006, 9:15 AM
Post #4 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems this would be more effective if sent to the gym owner/manager rather than posted here.

Maybe you could volunteer some time setting routes or helping with painting if they did decide to shell out the cash to paint the place?

clayman

Apr 14, 2006, 9:28 AM
Post #5 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to that gym once.....once

xxmarinexboyxx

Apr 14, 2006, 1:13 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, killer idea man. seriously. If the owner ever decided to launch this "spring clean up". I would do the three hour drive, and sacrafice an enire weekend to helping them out. Like I said. It isn't a bad gym. But it could be way better. Honestly, I'm not too worried about this getting back to them cause I know it will. lol. And I hope they take it the right way and not blow me off.

yokese

Apr 14, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.... And I hope they take it the right way and not blow me off.

Well, I don't know, but posting all this in a public place BEFORE contacting them doesn't look like a great start to me....

bozher

Nov 22, 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xxmarinexboyxx] Constructive Criticism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can appreciate your post. This whole state needs to take a gym lesson from Minnesota's Vertical Endeavors. Now there is a gym. Large, Tall, and Clean. It is a place you actually want to spend time. As for people wanting to keep it dirty to keep others out? All I can say for you is YOU ARE ELITISTS! The gym charges a fee for climbing there. They are not some charity doing something for the good of the community. So making a suggestion to get more customers is not a bad thing. My two cents

discingolfer

Aug 7, 2008, 3:35 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bozher] Constructive Criticism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone been there recently?

gabriel.eckers

Apr 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [discingolfer] Constructive Criticism [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the MN shout out. I frequent VE in St. Paul and am going to be moving to the Raleigh area pretty soon. Anything near VE quality out there? Not that I'll want to spend much time indoors with the comparably beautiful weather and plethora of outdoor climbing!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$44.96 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)
$67.28 (10% off)
$157.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook