Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

caughtinside

Apr 24, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #51 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Re: Male climbers- do you do this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Out of how many climbing couples is the woman the stronger climber?

Personally, I have never seen it.

Does this mean that all women are elitists? :P

jcasper

Apr 24, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #52 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...nor do I care when the server gives Alex the check when I'm usually the one paying. There's just no need to get worked up about s--- like that.
If that was in response to my comment earlier, I want to add that I don't get all worked up about it; I really could not care less. I just think its funny/interesting social behavior. Just like I got a kick out of it when I sent out a bunch of Easter cards and had many people tell me to thank my wife for the card; every single person assumed it was her, even though both of our names were on the card. I didn't care, and always simply just said I would relay the thank you, but I sure thought it was interesting.

To somewhat relate to the topic, I likewise think its interesting to watch guys get defensive when an "intruder" starts talking to the girl in their group.

Anyway, I agree all this isn't worth getting worked up about; however, that doesn't mean it interesting to talk about. :)

Jared

fng

Apr 24, 2006, 9:05 PM
Post #53 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I judge a female climber by the size of her rack, HAHA. What can I say, I am a trad climber.

Seriously, I know some females that can climb really hard.

Partner kasharp

Apr 24, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #54 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally, i don't really care if people don't address me because of my climbing abilities (or lack of... :lol: ) but at least acknowledging my existence would be cool. it's just kind of uncomfortable for me when someone is talking to my guy climbing partner and i'm standing right next to him, but they don't look at me, nod or anything.

i may not be more knowledgeable, and i'll tell someone that if they ask me about something i don't know, but it's still nice if someone talks to you for a minute as well.
if you ask me for help, or directions or something, i'll answer you as best as i can, and if i don't know, i'll try to direct you to someone who does. probably my male partner :lol: kidding.

legless

Apr 24, 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #55 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heres another assumption i make: anytime i see a guy and a girl of the "same" climbing ability, i assume the woman is more knowledable, more experienced and has been climbing longer.

krusher4

Apr 24, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #56 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

questions and comments that I hear some women say that screams lack of knowledge. (Feel Free to add)
are boulders rated the same as "wall" climbs?
this rock is sharp!
can you help me tie my knot.
Look I painted my nails like that one girl you like.

all heard this weekend.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #57 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya know.... I'm turning this thing around as someone did a few posts before, asking which person I, as a woman, would ask about a climb.....

Thought about it for about 10 seconds, and I have my answer, and.....I may get shit for it. I'm a gumby and an elitist, apparently.....

When I need info about a route, I look up, and I ask the rock to provide it. It really is just occurring to me, thinking about this, that it has always sort of irked me, a little bit, when my partner(male or female) asks someone else about the route - if the've been on it, what sort of gear, descent, etc. At least, at the Gunks, it does.

What all do I have to be asking someone else about, anyway? I ask them how their days been going, where they're from, how long they're staying around and stuff like that....but I sort of consider what's about to transpire, when I am leading, to be between me, and the rock.

That's what makes it fun......

I also try to look at the chalk as being somewhat of a gossip-monger; whay it says may or may not be true.

Partner kasharp

Apr 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #58 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
questions and comments that I hear some women say that screams lack of knowledge. (Feel Free to add)
are boulders rated the same as "wall" climbs?
this rock is sharp!
can you help me tie my knot.
Look I painted my nails like that one girl you like.

all heard this weekend.

i've also heard 75% said by guys

sounds like more of a "noob" thing, than a "girl" thing.

except maybe the nail polish - but who can really limit that to a gender these days. i'm not judging

Partner kasharp

Apr 24, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #59 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What all do I have to be asking someone else about, anyway? I ask them how their days been going, where they're from, how long they're staying around and stuff like that....but I sort of consider what's about to transpire, when I am leading, to be between me, and the rock.

that's how it should be. good post.

krusher4

Apr 24, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #60 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah....plus...it was just two chica's who were pissing me off with their presence. What can i say I'm a jerk. Back to topic ; My Girl Friend pulls pretty hard, when ever were at some popular spot and she climbs some hard whatever, it is common to hear folks say sh*t like "I heard that's easy for the grade" and crap like that. It's hard not to turn, yell and say "Hey you little fu** you wanna do a lap, I'll belay you?"

caughtinside

Apr 24, 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #61 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When I need info about a route, I look up, and I ask the rock to provide it. It really is just occurring to me, thinking about this, that it has always sort of irked me, a little bit, when my partner(male or female) asks someone else about the route - if the've been on it, what sort of gear, descent, etc. At least, at the Gunks, it does.

What all do I have to be asking someone else about, anyway?

Well, talking about routes you've done/want to do, is sometimes a good way to build a bond with a stranger. Something to talk about. I always ask 'have you done it? What did you think' and then we can talk and laugh about something noteworthy from the climb. But to each their own.

caughtinside

Apr 24, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #62 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What all do I have to be asking someone else about, anyway?

Well, talking about routes you've done/want to do, is sometimes a good way to build a bond with a stranger. Something to talk about. I always ask 'have you done it? What did you think' and then we can talk and laugh about something noteworthy from the climb. But to each their own.

flatstateclimber

Apr 24, 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #63 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Personally, I have never seen it...

I felt compelled to reply to this particular post. Not that I live at any crags (being a flatlander and all), but I know of one female climber who cranks harder (from what I've seen) than her significant other. She happens to send V8-V9, which is sick awesome to me. Hell, she kicks my ass. I personally saw this about 6 months after she had a kid!

And on the rest of the thread, I've been put in my place more than once by strong female climbers. One time in particular, I was working on Bum Boy (V5, since downgraded to a V3) at HP40. Strong blonde strolls up, slips on her shoes, and proceeds to make all of us boys working the problem look like wusses as she gastons up the seam, which was definitely not the beta we were trying! I judge all climbers the same now. I watch them climb and proceed from there. Most often, everyone's better than me anyways!

surfer_bill

Apr 24, 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #64 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, my wife is stronger than me a lot of the time. I don't climb much in the winter due to a hectic work schedule, and she still hits the gym and stays strong. Quite often on early season trips she is the rope gun...

A few weekends ago at Rumney after warming up on 11a, she was working a harder route to the right, 11d I think... she was going for it and took a few good falls. There was another woman two routes to the left, on a 12, who was also taking some good falls.

Some dumb jocko guy climbing the 11a she had warmed up on, had to sit after the crux 'cause he was so pumped. While hanging there, he comments to her after she takes a big whip "woah! I'm surrounded by falling women!"

She replies "well, better than being next to a hanging man"

:lol:

paganmonkeyboy

Apr 25, 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #65 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm.
i usually will start with the guy, just to make sure it doesn't look like i'm hitting on someone's friend/sister/significant other...then its all good, and i don't care who keeps talking, as long as no one is a jerk...

and I have seen couples where the woman seems by far the superior climber, though maybe not the *stronger* per se...finess vs rambo ape moves, and i will take the former any day...

norushnomore

Apr 25, 2006, 8:32 AM
Post #66 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife climbs better then I do. Here is a climbing couple for you caughtinside.
You can have a please of seeing us in person to widen you horizons (just kidding but she can give your secret place a spin)

And she is quite often nice enough to lead the route and set the toprope for the rest of the male climbers in our group.

And guess what, I hardly ever get asked for beta but she is quite often.

Partner kikibatlubbin

Apr 25, 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #67 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Alison,
Sorry someone ignored you. From the posts, you can see that many of us do not do that. I pay more attention to women than males. As a beginner, I think they have more to show me -- I want technique over power. And usually females are more my size (ht.&wt.) so I think I can make the moves they make. Additionally, males usually have that alpha problem and women (as a generalization) are more nurturing and willing to teach.
Scott

sausalito

Apr 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #68 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hardly ever ask people for beta so I am not in this coversation but if there were a group of people I think I would still favor asking the guys. I am 6'3" 175lbs and I feel that a female, unless she was a very large female, would have a very different view of the route than what I would likely encounter... if I was just asking things like "what route is this?" or "What are the anchors like" I would ask anyone

cantbuymefriends

Apr 25, 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #69 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hmmm...was I giving the impression that it was me and like 10 guys? :) More accurately, it's me and one or two climbing partners. I guess it can look like a group if you're talking about routes with the party next to you...

Well you WAS asking about "a female climber among guys", indicating anything from 2 to upwards of 10 guys. Kinda puts the question in another perspective if it's just 2 or 3 of you.

blueeyedclimber

Apr 25, 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #70 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Girls skilled climbers? Ha! Now that's funny!

First, i'd like to say nice troll. But just in case you're being serious I know about a dozen girls that put your ticklist to shame.

I know a 3-legged dog and a blind gecko, that can put his tick list to shame :lol:

Hey, ao, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Strong women climbers intimidate a lot of men. Men like to feel like they know what they are doing in front of women. If they ask yo ufor beta, they are admitting that you know more than them. That is a hard thing to do if you are insecure and pathetic
:lol:

Josh

alpine_monk

Apr 26, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #71 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hmmm.
i usually will start with the guy, just to make sure it doesn't look like i'm hitting on someone's friend/sister/significant other...
this is really what it boils down to..

acro

Apr 26, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #72 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not ask beta on a route since I want the joy of figuring it out myself.

If there is a group around, I just observe the people of my size, which usually turns out to be girls, I just look how they do the route and then try it out myself.

If she is irresitible I go up and appreciate her efforts in doing the routes, and depending on how she responds I proceed my talks with her.

The thing I have realized is - I am just too busy enjoying the climbs that hitting on girls just doesn't come up in my mind!!!

Am I too addicted to the rocks?

chouca

Apr 26, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #73 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO,

Climbing is a male dominated avocation, but much less so when I started climbing over 20 years ago. When you enter any activity where you are an outsider and out-numbered, it is up to you to adjust your behavior, temperment, and personality to the norms of the group, not for the dominant culture to adjust their's to yours. When in Rome...

Until climbing becomes as feminized as almost every other sport, suck it up. Lot's women can hang and fit in fine with groups of male climbers, and have for years. These women are who we call "cool chicks", and many of them crank and live harder than the dudes. They don't whine and tell us how to behave, and in so doing, gain full access, respect, and acceptance.

Women that can't hang form their own scenes and climb excluisvely with gal pals. It's really that simple. Don't expect us to change our behavior just because you decided to grace us with your presence in our fine sport.

Marc B.

acro

Apr 26, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #74 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not ask beta on a route since I want the joy of figuring it out myself.

If there is a group around, I just observe the people of my size, which usually turns out to be girls, I just look how they do the route and then try it out myself.

If she is irresitible I go up and appreciate her efforts in doing the routes, and depending on how she responds I proceed my talks with her.

The thing I have realized is - I am just too busy enjoying the climbs that hitting on girls just doesn't come up in my mind!!!

Am I too addicted to the rocks?

acacongua

Apr 26, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #75 of 99 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
AO,

Climbing is a male dominated avocation, but much less so when I started climbing over 20 years ago. When you enter any activity where you are an outsider and out-numbered, it is up to you to adjust your behavior, temperment, and personality to the norms of the group, not for the dominant culture to adjust their's to yours. When in Rome...

Until climbing becomes as feminized as almost every other sport, suck it up. Lot's women can hang and fit in fine with groups of male climbers, and have for years. These women are who we call "cool chicks", and many of them crank and live harder than the dudes. They don't whine and tell us how to behave, and in so doing, gain full access, respect, and acceptance.

Women that can't hang form their own scenes and climb excluisvely with gal pals. It's really that simple. Don't expect us to change our behavior just because you decided to grace us with your presence in our fine sport.

Marc B.

And there is a POV still stuck in the 1800s

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook