Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lowballin

Apr 19, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #1 of 30 (6828 views)
Shortcut

weekly bouldering tv show
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I dont know if any of you have ever or do watch a tv station called Fuel I have direct tv and its on channel 612. its all about skateboarding,snowboarding,freestyle motocross, bmx and surfing thats all it has on there. They always are advertising if someone is unsponsored send in a video and see what happens the right person might see it. My question is personally I would like to see the sport go to the next level and have its own 30 show on Fuel but I want some feedback on what the rest of you think? This show called roadfools is about a group of skateboarders traveling around the world and videoing the travels, something like that is what I had in mind for a group of climbers hitting all the bouldering spots. Just chime in any info Thanks.........

miavzero

Apr 19, 2006, 4:16 AM
Post #2 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Re: weekly bouldering tv show [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds almost like every climbing video i've seen.

vanclimber

Apr 19, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #3 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My question is personally I would like to see the sport go to the next level and have its own 30 show on Fuel but I want some feedback on what the rest of you think?

Yeah cause where would surfing and bmxing be without Fuel? Seriously, more exposure means more people, more people means more impact, more impact means less access and less access means less climbing. So, in my opinion, it would be a bad idea.

lowballin

Apr 19, 2006, 4:24 AM
Post #4 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats just it CLIMBING VIDEO.... this will not be a video it is a TV show that anyone watching the tube can passby and see it if someones not into climbing there not going to buy a dvd but they may stop to check out the SHOW Progression is the key here, progression for the sport

lowballin

Apr 19, 2006, 4:27 AM
Post #5 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skateboarding has come back from being dead and you dont see any surf spots being closed down because of the exposure

miavzero

Apr 19, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #6 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
skateboarding has come back from being dead and you dont see any surf spots being closed down because of the exposure
wow! what a logical analogy. if climbing becomes too popular, they may very well start putting NO CLIMBING signs up at the crags and hiring mall securuty gaurds and janitors to yell at people at the cliffs if they try to climb. it may keep us from climbing for a while, but so many people will be climbing anyway, so the town will construct a special climbing park with stuff for doing special climbing tricks. i'm afraid people wearing crampons and using ice tools won't be allowed, because they might damage the climbing surface. thanks man! everything now makes sense.

lowballin

Apr 20, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #7 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point I guess I just wanted others to love climbing as much as I do. I mean climbing is such an important part of my life and me that I guess I didnt think it could ever be took from me but I see everyones point. Thanks for the input. It put a new light on the subject..

kricir

Apr 20, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #8 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone here remember the show, High Country Climber? It was on OLN way back when OLN didn't suck and was more than just fishing shows. Its not like there hasn't already been at least one climbing show on TV before. I thought It was cool, but OLN canned it after 1 or 2 years if I remember correctly.

guangzhou

Apr 20, 2006, 4:08 AM
Post #9 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More people does mean more impact, but it doesn't mean more closures. Actually, greater awareness of the sport could have some positive affects.

For the most part, our sport has been rapidly growing and we now have more climbing areas than ever before. Sure we have access issues, but it's because climbers are not often seen as a tangible user group.

A better understanding of the sport from non climbers would have positive effects on our sport.

These arguments were used by hikers, skiers, and campers for years. All I see is a greater acceptance of those sports. Growth is positive.

jdubya

Apr 20, 2006, 1:18 PM
Post #10 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Re: weekly bouldering TV show [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's a good idea, however you would need to semi-mainstream it. I know what your thinking-"sell out!" but no, I'm talking about not having a deep meaning segment in every episode, maybe in a few, but not every one, what would get people into the sport would to see the dynos, close-ups on crimps, dynamic moves, and even some lead climbing and falls. I think bouldering would be cool, but the majority of non-climbers think of ropes when you talk about climbing, so they would want to see heights.

I do think it's cool though, more people would mean more support and the people that would watch the show would most likely be the people that might be potential climbers anyway. Such as teenagers, and the adventurous type, how many people in their 40's that don't do anything except yell at kids watch Fuel?? Anyway, good luck with it and I say DO IT!!! You could push the sport to another level.

dirtybiker

Apr 20, 2006, 2:28 PM
Post #11 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bad idea. I don't want what has happened to my local dirt jumps and skateparks happen to my favorite climbing areas...more weekend warriors with their brat kids and leash less dogs..it has already happened in places like the Gunks and Rumney where you will have to wait all day to climb the route you want to and then while you are climbing have people come up to you, step on your rope and ask if they can climb it next..i climb for solitude not to hang out with more grunting Sharma wanna-bees in the the back country. I guess i am just spoiled out here in the desert, where you can climb all day on a Sunday and never see anybody but your partner

so i think it is a bad idea

reg

Apr 20, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #12 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone here remember the show, High Country Climber? It was on OLN way back when OLN didn't suck and was more than just fishing shows. Its not like there hasn't already been at least one climbing show on TV before. I thought It was cool, but OLN canned it after 1 or 2 years if I remember correctly.

i do. friend of mine has a few vids from that show - one with a gal named - something "getchel" ( i know - "something" is a strange first name). it was a little better then outside magazine's series on public tv - what was that called......? the one with what's his face - did all kinds of things paddlin, hikin, climbin. anyway it's all good stuff - love to watch it. hope
they make more shows like that

bretrwarner

Apr 20, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #13 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think a show on fuel t.v. is really going to add that much to the climbing community. Maybe its been too long since I have had a television, but I don't remember fuel being a seriously influential channel. One thing I do know is that if I had cable I would definitely watch a bouldering show.

lowballin

Apr 20, 2006, 6:47 PM
Post #14 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lots of good points being made here on both sides of the spectrum. What I had in mind was more of the lifestyle and culture of climbing and hit the spiritual side of it ,you know more than just small crimps and hard moves but alot of that too. yeah the tv show would need to be somewhat low key just like a good climbing gym a low key gym is where the real climbers go and hangout not the flashy goofballs.

vanclimber

Apr 21, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #15 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
More people does mean more impact, but it doesn't mean more closures. Actually, greater awareness of the sport could have some positive affects.

For the most part, our sport has been rapidly growing and we now have more climbing areas than ever before. Sure we have access issues, but it's because climbers are not often seen as a tangible user group.

A better understanding of the sport from non climbers would have positive effects on our sport.

These arguments were used by hikers, skiers, and campers for years. All I see is a greater acceptance of those sports. Growth is positive.

What you are talking about and what the OP meant by the show "Fuel" are two completely different things. I agree that if the general population could be made to understand that the reason we clean moss off rocks and trample over weak desert vegetation is because we love to show each other where the holds are by caking them with chalk, it would be a good thing. But for some reason they are stubborn. I get the feeling that by watching a climbing show inspired by "Fuel" they would be apt to think "wow, what a bunch of crazy bastards" and change to another channel.

People find climbing. Climbing does not have to find people.

notch

Apr 21, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #16 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A half hour a day watching people boulder on TV. Wow. On the other hand I could cancel my cable and use the money to pay someone to poke me in the eyes with a stick.

6 of one, half dozen the other I guess.

vanclimber

Apr 21, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #17 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah the tv show would need to be somewhat low key just like a good climbing gym a low key gym is where the real climbers go and hangout not the flashy goofballs.

All of a sudden the original post makes a lot more sense....

lowballin

Apr 21, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #18 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fuel isnt a show its the name of a tv station that airs alot of different shows

vanclimber

Apr 21, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #19 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever: here's it's website http://www.fuel.tv/

Just watch the intro video. I seriously don't think that this station represents what the majority of climbers feel would be a good direction to take climbing in. On the contrary, they promote the typical approach of showing the most flashy tricks and worst wipeouts, along with "the token hottie" as the video states. This is the kind of media that encourages people to come out and "rip it up" at the crags, including littering and loud music, and fuck the rest of the people trying to peacefully enjoy an afternoon of climbing.

Your earlier post about how the show would have to be chill and take into account the spirituallity of climbing would be met with one of these

http://strangemud.net/...tin/questorblank.jpg

pappy

Apr 25, 2006, 8:24 PM
Post #20 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omg if there was a show where all kids do is travle around and boulder id sign up and try and get a spot in it! i think it sounds rad. 8^)

Partner cactusedd

Apr 28, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #21 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see your point and while I personally can appreciate it from the standpoint of being a climber and all, I just don't think that a show that focuses solely on climbing could ever be a success. The bottom line is that climbing just not a fast paced enough sport to capture the attention of the unaccustomed mainstream populace. While, we as climbers can appreciate the great skills and technique that are required to ascend a difficult route or problem, those that have never climbed or are limited only in their experience to gym climbing cannot. A layperson would not be able to differentiate between Sharma ascending Realization in Ceuse and Joe Turd ascending Minty in the Gunks. In either case for them, it would be like watching paint dry. This is essentially the same reason that climbing was dropped from the X-Games after only the first or second season; it's simply too slow and/or complex to marketable.

But then again, who knows? Maybe someday, there will be the climbing equivalent of Drop In TV and it will be successful.

Regards,
Edd

krusher4

Apr 28, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #22 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good point I guess I just wanted others to love climbing as much as I do. I mean climbing is such an important part of my life and me that I guess I didnt think it could ever be took from me but I see everyones point. Thanks for the input. It put a new light on the subject..

I do not, I wish there to be no more new climbers. Everyone do your part and stop teaching your friends!!!!

fluxus

Apr 28, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #23 of 30 (6827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What I had in mind was more of the lifestyle and culture of climbing and hit the spiritual side of it ,you know more than just small crimps and hard moves but alot of that too. yeah the tv show would need to be somewhat low key just like a good climbing gym a low key gym is where the real climbers go and hangout not the flashy goofballs.

Yea, but to do this you would have to be a good story teller and understand how to work within a 30min. network clock as well as understand climbing very well. So far the folks who make climbing vids have shown no real story telling ability and I'm not sure how well they understand climbing either.

cruz_bustamante

Jul 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #24 of 30 (4552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lowballin] weekly bouldering tv show [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so I just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd let you all know about the show HighCountry Adventures. I had never heard about the High Country Climber before but I think it would be cool if the tv had more sports that are about being environmentally conscious, ecologically sustainable, etc. High Country Adventures is about rock climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, and other outdoor adventure sports in and around Boone, North Carolina. Check out their website and see what you think. It's not quite Fuel.tv but it's at least in the right direction. http://www.highcountryadventures.net

acorneau

Jul 3, 2009, 3:30 PM
Post #25 of 30 (4463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruz_bustamante] weekly bouldering tv show [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruz_bustamante wrote:
so I just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd let you all know about the show HighCountry Adventures.

Good start. Mind some constructive criticism?

-The into is too long. Tighten it up to 30 seconds or less.
-The host need to memorize his lines. You can see his eyes darting back and forth as he reads the cue card above the camera; very disturbing.
-Before the bouldering starts (~3:30) how about giving the audience an idea where you are? Show a map zooming in to the location of the area, or something.
-Don't put the closing credits before the host wrap-up, they should go after the tease for next week's show.
-The tease should be much shorter, just 5-10 seconds of each segment.

Good luck with your new show!
Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook