RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

guanoboy

Apr 28, 2006, 8:09 PM
Post #1 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

slackline anchor physics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

let me start by saying that i don't really slackline, but I'd like to hear from the physicists out there about the forces generated on anchors and the slack line. After all the discussion about anchors on rc.com it reminded me about keeping the angles between the power point and anchor points much less than 60 degrees. It seems slacklining would generate some terrific forces on the anchor and the slack line. How does the line absorb the force of a fall?

thanks

guanoboy

Apr 29, 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #2 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Re: slackline anchor physics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok this guy figured it all out...

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/other_int/slack_pages/slackline_analysis/static_analysis_2.htm

Partner coldclimb

Apr 29, 2006, 1:13 AM
Post #3 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/...tatic_analysis_2.htm

Yeah that's a good link, but that assumes a static line, which most lines, or rather specifically what we climbers refer to as "slacklines" are not. The nylon we use is dynamic, which makes the forces more difficult to calculate, and I'm not sure if I've heard of anyone figuring out an accurate formula. That site will give you an idea though.

patto

Apr 29, 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #4 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah that's a good link, but that assumes a static line, which most lines, or rather specifically what we climbers refer to as "slacklines" are not. The nylon we use is dynamic, which makes the forces more difficult to calculate, and I'm not sure if I've heard of anyone figuring out an accurate formula. That site will give you an idea though.

Actually treating the line as static is NOT a problem. As is said on the linked website. :

"The line is static. This assumption actually does not affect the final force on the anchors when the person is standing still, because in this situation the line has effectively become a static system."

Treating the line as dynamic make no difference to force calculations. Of course a dynamic LOAD (ie the person) is not calculated and cannot be calculated as then the person's legs themselves become part of the calculation.

tagaustatoppen

Apr 29, 2006, 3:10 PM
Post #5 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
coldclimb

guanoboy wrote:

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/other_int/slack_pages/slackline_a nalysis/static_analysis_2.htm

I have never slacklined before and i have idea so i am kind of interested to know is there enough rope length that it would have enough dynamics to make a lot of difference?

gunkiemike

Apr 29, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #6 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Using a dynamic rope - which really begs a separate discussion, since webbing is the standard material for 'lining, and webbing is typically considered, in a climbing setting at least, to be static - allows for some stretch. Which creates additional deformation (sag) in the line. Which reduces the force exerted on the anchor.

mitguy

Apr 30, 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #7 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Approximating the line as static is probably an acceptable assumption as the force created on a static line will be higher than for a dynamic line. The additional step of working out what the forces on the anchor are when the person is at any point of the line is just a simple step further, and involves setting up a simple system of equations and some basic trig. The effects of bouncing can be taken into account by using the concept of impulse (a force over time) and an approximation of how long it takes for the line to reverse the person's direction to calculate how much force the line must generate on the climber (and hence on the anchors from Newton's 3rd). I'm not really interested in carrying out the calculations, but it should be pretty easy by looking up the equations online and some simple math. If you want to take into account the dynamice properties of the rope, check out a text book on mechanical engineering.

gymslackerclimber

Apr 30, 2006, 7:51 AM
Post #8 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah forces are weird and wild-- thats why overcompensation 'aka being bomber' is a good thing...

afraid of your knot breaking or not comforatable with using only one line--- shackles can help..
http://i5.photobucket.com/...slacker/IMG_2670.jpg

Partner cliffhanger9

Apr 30, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #9 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah forces are weird and wild-- thats why overcompensation 'aka being bomber' is a good thing...

afraid of your knot breaking or not comforatable with using only one line--- shackles can help..
http://i5.photobucket.com/...slacker/IMG_2670.jpg

not to get off topic here but...i cant say i ve seen a setup like that before - care to explain? or shoew more pics? i cant see whats going on with that shackle there..thanks!

gymslackerclimber

May 1, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #10 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive never seen one like it either..

the webbing is just a bit wrapped around the shackle, then binered, the wrap pintched the line or creates the friction that locks the line in..

the green webbinig is wrapped the same way.. the only reason there is two lines is for a highline.. but the only reason for the shackle, also, is for a highline.. its just that its all clean and neat and knotless,

but i would love to know the results of if there is any slippage in this hitch (or what ever its called).. but this system is WAY bomber- if it can hold tension with lines over 200ft- it will probably hold for most anything

mrbumguy

May 24, 2006, 6:13 AM
Post #11 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The few one time I slacklined, the rope oscillated side to side like crazy under my feet. Not sure how this actually affects the forces at the anchor, but something tells that it raises them. Or maybe it's not significant. Or maybe I'm wrong. Worth thinking about though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook