Forums: Clubs: Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way:
Thanks arno and anyone involved with RWW...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

_fiend_

May 2, 2006, 2:49 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Thanks arno and anyone involved with RWW...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For many years and through many ups and downs, I've tried to push myself and my climbing, so I can climb with confidence, and tackle some routes that have been truly inspiring. It's been a long challenge...

This weekend I've finally done it. I've climbed the best I ever had, climbed routes that I've dreamt about for years, and had amazing experiences in places I could hardly believe where I was.

This is for many reasons - a lot of work and planning over the years, a fair bit of determination and a lot of desire, being in the right place at the right time, training well over winter, gradually getting enough experience pushing myself.

It's also in part because of the advice and ideas I've picked up from reading RWW and these forums. In particular some of the practical exercises and tips in RWW, but also how RWW clarified some of the vague thoughts and ideas I'd had but never explored clearly - the latter is why I'm impressed by RWW and believe in many of the concepts, because they're ones that had started to naturally form in my mind, but RWW really spelt them, and more, out.

This weekend, I looked carefully routes and myself, I assessed falls, I made clear, conscious choices when to climb, I tried to keep my eyes open, and looked around for possibilities when things seemed hard, I witnessed myself being stressed and recognised I didn't have to give in to that (although once or twice it was very tempting). I still don't think I breathed regularly though ;).

All of this helped, so thanks arno and anyone else involved.

Of course it's important where to go from here :arrow: .
There's pitfalls to avoid and positive approaches to strive for. So I have ideas:

- Keep focusing on the experiences, not the achievements.

- Remember those experiences and challenges come regardless of any particular standard.

- Take care to avoid prior expectations based on the past.

- Keep climbing challenging routes to see what happens and to expand the comfort zone a little.

- Keep trying to climb well, keep using RWW techniques and others. Don't get complacent.

- Take care not to push to the point of burnout. Maintain variety with more relaxed climbing.

- Climbing is challenging, life is more challenging, keep working on the latter.

chill41

May 2, 2006, 2:59 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thanks arno and anyone involved with RWW... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Inspiring words brother...I'm curious, where did you experience this momentously good weekend?

_fiend_

May 2, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

North Wales, part of that small damp island some way to the east :wink:

One of the routes:
http://www.fiendy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fiend_pp0.jpg
http://www.fiendy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fiend_pp1.jpg
http://www.fiendy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fiend_pp2.jpg

arnoilgner

May 3, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello fiend,
Congrats on your climbs. Your list and some comments...
--------------------------------------------------------
So I have ideas:

- Keep focusing on the experiences, not the achievements. ----------------
--yes, continually remind yourself of what you love about climbing and focus on that. Doing that will keep your attention on the experiences.

- Remember those experiences and challenges come regardless of any particular standard.
--standard? I think you are referring to the rating or difficulty of the route. If so, yes, experiences happen each time you engage. You can learn from all experiences if you are attentive.

- Take care to avoid prior expectations based on the past.
--keep expectations on possibility, not past experiences or outcomes. Doing this will keep you attentive to the present situation instead of the past.

- Keep climbing challenging routes to see what happens and to expand the comfort zone a little.
--There is a time to challenge yourself and a time to return to your comfort zone to rest. Don't stay in either too long. Cycle in and out of both.

- Keep trying to climb well, keep using RWW techniques and others. Don't get complacent.
--The main thing you are doing in RWW is developing awareness of your tendencies and learning more about who you are. This awareness leads to developing personal power. When you have more power you can deal more effectively in stress situations. The main thing you can do to develop this awareness is being the witness of attention leaks--noticing leaks of attention away from problem solving.
--One note: get rid of that word--"try."

- Take care not to push to the point of burnout. Maintain variety with more relaxed climbing.
--see note above about cycling in and out of the comfort and risk zones.

- Climbing is challenging, life is more challenging, keep working on the latter.
--you can learn from both and transfer lessons to the other. Enjoy your journey...
arno

vector

May 8, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fiend,

Thanks for sharing this and all your other posts as you have gone through the process. I know I benefit from your contributions and I suspect others do as well. Congratulations on your climbing experiences this weekend!

Henry

_fiend_

May 9, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers vector - although I am definitely just starting "the process" :wink:

I got nervous and non-committal sport climbing this weekend. But that's good, it was a good challenge, and I learnt stuff (mostly how to downclimb even better, heh).

wonderwoman

May 10, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good job fiend! That looks like an exciting route, too! Thanks for sharing your victories, thoughts and experiences.

I love reading this forum!

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook