RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

rock_diva

Aug 26, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Do you remember your first comp?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do! It was Thursday...

I had no idea how comps are run so I decided to get there early... but got a flat tire on the way. A drunk bum helped me change the tire so it took longer than normal...gave the guy some cash for more beer...and got to the gym after my climbing time.

Luckily the head honcho of the comp said he could slot me in at the end of the night -- so I came back a few hours later. Climbed and had a great time! Learned that there is such a thing as strategy at a climbing comp... maybe next time I'll use some!

Got a couple funky looking stoppers for my efforts... my trad rack now counts in at 3 pieces of gear

What do you remember of your first comp?

vaness

Aug 27, 2002, 3:54 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Do you remember your first comp? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my first comp was march 30th 2002. i remember getting there at 8:30 when registration stars at 9. i like to be early for everything. we were the first ones there so we went to CVS and i was so nurvous that i oculdnt eat anything. i remember that i started on a 5.8 and worked my way up. at the end of the comp my 5 highest climbs were 4 5.11's and a 10 and i got 1st place. i was really happy to show off my blue ribbon to everyone.

rockhopper

Aug 30, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely will never forget my first comp. It was a bouldering comp and I was going in there with plenty of strategy in my head. As soon as we started climbing, the whole strategy idea was gone. And because if that I ended up dead last for my first comp. Since then I don't let my strategy leave my head until the finals. I do have to say though because of my first comp I have become a better comp climber.

vaness

Aug 30, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes you have really got to stick to your stratigy if you want to win. stratagy is very very important.

orestes1724

Sep 2, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first comp sucked, its so bad getting beat by your sister. i was very nervioius, and i fell on a lot of things because i was shaking sooo bad, there were only 4 people and i got dead last. and i was so mad! but i got first at the next one so competing was fun again.

crux_clipper

Sep 8, 2002, 10:11 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first bouldering comp i had no idea what to do, so i just watched people for a while, found out what to do, had a blast!

2nd comp was same format, an i knew what to do. Came 3rd.

the_elk

Sep 9, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first climbing comp, was the Victorian State Titles (Oz) May 2002. I wasn't going to enter, I was primarily there to do photo's for work (newspaper) but naturally I threw my climbing gear in the car too.

I was having a look around, and had to chat to the organiser about the photo stuff, mentioned it was my climbing gym and that I'd been climbing for a few years, before I knew it she'd talked me into competing.

Went to my car, grabbed my gear, signed up, and now I'm placed for the Nationals in November! Who'd've thought?

The atmosphere is awsome.... all that adrenalin and excitement. Scary as hell though! Love it!

Cheers,
Elk

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook