Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Falling rock accident in SD
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

artsylady567

May 30, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Falling rock accident in SD  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_: Boulders_Below_Sun_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I heard about the recent death of a hiker out at Falling Rock in Rapid City. Is it even safe to climb out there?

zach540

May 30, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Re: Falling rock accident in SD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

artsylady567,

I was just at Falling Rock this past Sunday, all is fine there. I believe the incident you are referring to was the one that occurred last year during Sturgis, a family was out there hiking and a kid got too close to the edge, fell off and died.

That is the most recent death in that location that I am aware of.

g
Deleted

May 30, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12960725/
A hiker died, but I don't see how that has any bearing on how safe climbing there is.

Do you think that guy was drunk when he fell? I've had friends who've gotten hurt in drunken stupors out there.

moose_droppings

May 30, 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately there are a lot of younger people that party there and eventually now and then someone falls, though its not usually a rock climber. About a mile back toward Rapid, there used to be a party spot, called "camera stop", that got used and abused by local partyers. After a while it got closed. My guess is Falling Rock area will be closed soon too. The FS can only go so far to make an area idiot proof, then a better idiot comes along.

zach540

May 31, 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Think Moose nailed this one on the head, while I hope it isn't anytime soon, it more than likely will happen. Just as anything in life though, someone will find a way around it. Who knows, they may fence off the top, but still leave access to the paths below for those who don't top rope it?

zach540

May 31, 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Think Moose nailed this one on the head, while I hope it isn't anytime soon, it more than likely will happen. Just as anything in life though, someone will find a way around it. Who knows, they may fence off the top, but still leave access to the paths below for those who don't top rope it?

renobdarb

Jun 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They can't "close" falling rock. There's this little thing called the Constitution that make public lands belong to everyone. To close it would be like putting a padlock on your own back yard. They can limit (like keeping people from driving cars off the cliff), but they can't close it all together.

People will always go out there and get drunk and fall off the cliff. It just needs to be patrolled more. Fine people for public intox and hand out DUI's to people coming and going for a few weekends in a row and it'll fast lose its appeal as a party spot.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook