RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

victoriaclimber

Aug 29, 2002, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Mocasym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello Everyone...

I've been using the 5.10 Mocasym shoes for a while now, but they seem to wear really fast (my last pair was toast after only 4 months ). Has anyone had a similar problem with this shoe? I'm thinking of switching to a different shoe, maybe the La Sportiva Cobra or Katana. Does anyone have any experience with these models? I would like to know about their durability.

Cheers

carnaged

Aug 29, 2002, 5:33 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Mocasym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahem, My first pair was the 5,10 Moccasym's.
I've been climbing for OVER a year.
They're still the greatest shoe I have.

Straight to the point: They may not have a nice sharp edge after four or five months. But that doesn't mean they've been completely worn out.

Completely worn out means, that your toes are hanging out of your shoes, and they are no longer red.
I don't understand how you're shoes can be trashed in four months. I'm constantly climbing, three or four times a week. And I use my Moc's, they sure do wonders on the rock.
Maybe you should think twice, maybe it's not the shoe that's wearing them out, maybe it's you.
Sorry if this may seem a little threatening~ But I have no idea how moc's can be worn out in four months!?

edit: If you're going to switch to a different shoe, I reccomend the Katana's, but they have a more downward point compared to the Moccasyms. This shoe is not meant for everyone, but hey, if it works for you, then that's great!

Kat

[ This Message was edited by: carnaged on 2002-08-28 22:34 ]

arion

Aug 29, 2002, 6:14 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
Never used a 5.10 shoe but i can recommend trying Sportiva shoes, havent tried the Katana but am very pleased with the Miura.

pir8penguin

Aug 29, 2002, 2:26 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, if the mocs are lasting you over a year, you're either light on your feet or just plain light.

i've never heard of anybody having a pair more than 6 monthes without significant wear.

neuahda

Aug 29, 2002, 3:14 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My fist shoes were a pair of La Sportiva Cliff's. They fell apart in less then a month. Well not really fell apart but the souls started peeling off. I gave it another month to see if they would improve but they just got worse. So I took them back to REI and got a brand new pair of the mocs. I've had them for about 2 months and I don't see any abnormal wear. All I know is I'll never buy La Sportiva's again.

miarock

Aug 29, 2002, 3:31 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have mocs and wouldn't trade them for the world. i have also been climbing for over a year on one pair and though i don't have much of an edge left, i still climb really well with them. also if you climb without a percise edge it forces you to have better footwork and that leads to better climbing and less wear and tear on your shoes.

mia

josher

Aug 29, 2002, 4:15 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had 2 or 3 pair and love them. Took almost a full year until it was time to resole.

I did go through my first pair of another brand pretty quick. The resoler told me it wasnt the shoe, but my foot work. I worked on not skating my feet, and being very deliberate with placements, and they seemed to last about twice as long.

Partner phylp

Aug 29, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been wearing these shoes for a long time and do not find that they wear any faster than anything else. I rotate the use with 2 pairs of other brands. The Mocs are the only shoes I wear in the gym and I wear then outside in places like the Owen's River Gorge where I don't need much stiff edging support. I usually need to get halfsoles once a year and after 2 X with 1/2 soles maybe then new rands as well.
If "trashed" means the shoes are ruined, it may be your technique or what type of climbing you are using them for (like cracks). If "trashed " means you need a new 1/2 sole, and these are the only shoes you are climbing in, it doesn't seem too soon.

jt512

Aug 29, 2002, 8:35 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mocassyms have thinner soles than most other 5.10 shoes, so they will need to be resoled more often.

-Jay

spacemonkey

Aug 30, 2002, 3:36 AM
Post #10 of 10 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm currently destroying a pair of Mocasyms. They (for me at least) were a great shoe to start in, however I found that as my footwork got more technical I needed a more technical shoe. (Pyros should be delivered tomarrow! Fingers crossed) I've worn a decent hole in the rubber in the front of one toe, and revealed the lining in a couple other places on both shoes. I've had the shoes about 6 or 7 months, and climbed at least three times a week in them, often more. My advice would be to get them resoled as a second pair, and pick up something else to us as a primary pair. That's just my two cents though.

Peace!
Brian

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook