RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

basilisk

Jun 17, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #1 of 2 (868 views)
Shortcut

foot positioning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

from your experience, what works best? i imagine the best way to walk is to keep your feet in line with the webbing (and thus foot bones on the webbing). however as a beginner, when i walk i'm finding it easier to lay my feet across (intersecting) the line, but that quickly leads to hurt/tired feet. is that the best way and i just need to suck it up? or is that a habit i need to cut off before i get too far along?

thanks in advance

ps: while i knew this would be addictive, you folk gave no inclination as to just HOW addicting it is

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 18, 2006, 6:58 PM
Post #2 of 2 (868 views)
Shortcut

Re: foot positioning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The front of your foot and your heel are designed to support your weight, your arch is better designed for shock absorbing. It does fatigue your feet faster walking on your arches (or at least that's the general concensus for the groups I've taught). That said, it's a free style sport - I know some very good slackers who still only walk on their arches, it's not something you can't compensate for.

General observation from instructing the sport this long has show (to me anyway) that it's good for a beginner to start off with their front foot going along the line with the line going under (more or less) the gap between their big and "index" toe going back to the center of their heel. This seems to assist in transfering of weight smoothly vs the semi-stomp of weight that often is associated with arch walking.

Most arch walkers I know may stay on the line wonderfully but they don't seem to carry the same "grace" & smoothness in the step. At any rate, try it enough to tell for yourself and if it just doesn't feel natural then hey, do what does feel natural.

Back foot wise, anything goes, some moves and tricks seem to demand the back foot being sideways.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook