RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

misanthropic_nihilist

Jun 19, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

My First Highline!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just thought I'd post a picture of my first highline. I rigged it last week, and walked the whole length on my second day. The line is about 30' long and 50' high.

For those of you that care, there are actually three lines. The top line has the tension of a loose-slackline. The middle line was tightened with a 3:1 pulley system. The bottom line was hand tightened. Both ends of all three lines are tied off to the trees via high strength tie offs. The trees are about 2 feet in diameter at the height of the highline. I tie in with two ropes, overhanded together at 1ft intervals. The ropes are attached to the line via 2 steel rap rings.

http://static.flickr.com/...2_818bee1abc.jpg?v=0

...I shortened the leash after this photo was taken.

niles

Jun 19, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Re: My First Highline! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a cool location.

How did you tie off both ends with high strength tie offs, and tension the line too? Did you prussic the tensioning system in, tighten, and then tie off?

I melted a line a couple days ago putting a kleimheist on it. The line faired fairly well but the cord I used took a few core shots, so it's days are done.

Cheers,
Niles

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how did you climb the tree? Doesn't look like there are many branches on the other trees in the photo.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 20, 2006, 9:58 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats on the send!

v_nuthin_ace

Jun 20, 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How did you keep the 3 lines from moving separately? I don't see any tape on the line.

Usually the lowest tensioned bottom line won't stay lined up perfectly if it is only hand tight, unless you tape them all together.

Nice send. :D

misanthropic_nihilist

Jun 21, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looks like a cool location.

How did you tie off both ends with high strength tie offs, and tension the line too? Did you prussic the tensioning system in, tighten, and then tie off?...

Yes. The 'ratcheting prussik" in the system was actually 3 somewhat equalized prussiks (4-wrap), tied off to the tree via munter-mule. After tensioning the lines, I wrapped the ends around the tree, and released the tension onto the HSTOs.

I was a little worried about melting the webbing by putting prussiks on it, but everything seemed to work fine. I was using 6mm nylon cord.

In reply to:
P.S. Just out of curiosity, how did you climb the tree? Doesn't look like there are many branches on the other trees in the photo.

I got a rope into the tree arborist style: lead throwing weight and some small p-cord. It's all ascending after that. The hardest part of rigging a highline in the trees is having to hang from a harness while you're doing it.

misanthropic_nihilist

Jun 21, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How did you keep the 3 lines from moving separately? I don't see any tape on the line.

Usually the lowest tensioned bottom line won't stay lined up perfectly if it is only hand tight, unless you tape them all together.

Nice send. :D

Thanks. The lines are taped together at either end. I don't know why I didn't tape in the middle, but it works out fine. Occaisonally the rap rings stick for a second, but it's not a big problem. The lowest tension line does sag about 1" below the other two lines.

deadhorse

Oct 3, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With a leash that long, what exactly do you do if you fall? I've never slacked with a tether but I figured it'd be short enough to still be within hands reach so you could hand-crawl to an end, but that doesn't look possible on yours.

I like that setup alot. I wish i had the skills for it, but i'm still working on it.

deadhorse

Oct 3, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ohh - my fault on the leash length, didn't see that caption.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook