RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

randofo

Jun 20, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2009 views)
Shortcut

gluing rocks to a painted wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

There is a retaining wall at the beach in San Francisco with a couple of rocks that were glued on a long time ago (judging by the fact that most of them are painted over or have fallen off).

Anyway, since the wall is now painted over, what would happen if I glued up some more rocks? Should I glue over the paint? Should I chip the paint off? Or should I just make do with what I already have?

In other words, is it worth my time to try to glue rocks to a painted wall? It really is a great location for climbing, but it would be even better if there were a couple easier warmup climbs glued on.

thanks,
Randy

RipTips

Jan 9, 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [randofo] gluing rocks to a painted wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also in San Francisco asking the same question but for a different area; that is the traverse wall at Gratten Playground. It needs some more holds put up but the wall has been painted over.

I am anticipating taking some time to chip paint off before gluing and want to know what kind of adhesive you are using.

Stay in touch!

bill413

Jan 10, 2011, 5:09 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

randofo wrote:
Hi,

There is a retaining wall at the beach in San Francisco with a couple of rocks that were glued on a long time ago (judging by the fact that most of them are painted over or have fallen off).

Anyway, since the wall is now painted over, what would happen if I glued up some more rocks? Should I glue over the paint? Should I chip the paint off? Or should I just make do with what I already have?

In other words, is it worth my time to try to glue rocks to a painted wall? It really is a great location for climbing, but it would be even better if there were a couple easier warmup climbs glued on.

thanks,
Randy

I've no empirical knowledge of this, in this application, but I wouldn't think you'd get long term adherence. Well, to the paint, maybe. If the wall is well textured, the adhesive might work well by filling the texture, but... I still think it's iffy. No highballs, please.

(This post was edited by bill413 on Jan 10, 2011, 5:10 AM)

sp115

Jan 10, 2011, 8:00 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] gluing rocks to a painted wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
...I still think it's iffy. No highballs, please.

+1, I think you have very little chance of making anything permanent with a barrier layer of paint between the rock and the retaining wall.

StuMsg

Jan 10, 2011, 8:56 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I would take the paint off. with paint on, the strongest bond possible between the rock and wall is only as strong as the paint bond.
I dont know what type of adhesive to use but some used in engineering have a stronger bond than the strength of the steel they are bonded to.
Ii've seen a 15 tonne tank lifted using a plate 10cm by 10 cm glued to another connected to a crane. the guy that developed the glue is pictured under the tank, he was sure that it would hold. later the plate was tested using a tensile testing machine and the steel plates ripped apart before the bond broke! will try find the photo and post if i do

wiki

Jan 10, 2011, 1:30 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RipTips] gluing rocks to a painted wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

An epoxy-based glue for anchors would probabaly do the trick... Redhead C6 is very strong and hardens fast. I am sure Hilti does something similar if you can't get the C6.

Definately take the paint off the wall first. You could even make some small holes in the wall and in the rocks to give the glue something to hold onto. 3 or 4 5x5mm holes. Everything needs to be squeaky clean - no dust or grease.

I've never glued rocks to a wall but I have worked with the product so try this out on some low holds to see if it works and is strong enough!

neverwalk

Jan 11, 2011, 5:40 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] gluing rocks to a painted wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd us a small propane torch, you can buy some tiny repair kit style ones at Lowes and HD. Pick your spot where the hold will go. Heat the paint, waving the flame over it, continuously moving it, til the paints bubbles, and use a scraper to get it off. Continue to a clean surface. Hit it with a wire brush then blow it clean of dust. Don't over heat the rock/cement itself, it may fracture a bit.

spacemanspiffs98

Jan 17, 2011, 5:29 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neverwalk] gluing rocks to a painted wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Remove the paint for sure. Use strong Hilti grade epoxy. Hilti c100 is super strong and would last forever. We used to use this stuff for seismic retrofitting giant concrete buildings, so I'm sure it could hold your rocks and you to the wall.

(This post was edited by spacemanspiffs98 on Jan 17, 2011, 5:30 PM)

Kyleanderson415

Jan 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live a few blocks away from ocean beach. Let me know if you want any help with glueing up some holds. Sounds like a fun project to me. There has been some nice sunny days the last few weeks. And as far as the paint goes, i bet you could chip away a shallow area in the concrete where you want the hold and glue to that.

send me a PM

-kyle-

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$34.16 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)