RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner tisar

Jun 21, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

My first SL setup?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there!

Since I just started my first steps on a line, I wanted to get me a quick setup for a short (8m/25ft) lowline. I did a little research and came up with:

35mm, rated 10kN straight tension:
http://ho-gi.de/...ini_2000_2teilig.jpg

rated 45kN
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/b3/f7/40_1.JPG

Plus a couple of round slings (industrial climbing equipment, rated 25kN) for tree slinging.

The setup should be: Two trees, padded, slings around them, the shackles attached, the hooks in the shackles.

Just in case all goes wrong, I thought of additional, not tensioned tech cord between the shakles and the loop of the hooks resp. the ratchet: Should the hooks leave the shackles or (hell, this won't happen anyway) the line break, the cord will catch the metal parts before they can do any bad.

Any comments/ideas?

- Daniel

PS: The whole setup might be around 30$ excl. the slings I already have.

Partner coldclimb

Jun 21, 2006, 9:43 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Re: My first SL setup? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't bother with leashing anything with tech cord. If something in your setup breaks, it will be such a massive shock load that the cord will break too, so it's a whole lot of effort for nothing really. just save yourself the trouble and don't worry about anything breaking. I've only broken webbing once, and that piece, I was told, was older than me. :lol:

I don't know much about the ratchet itself breaking, I suppose that is entirely possible. I prefer not to use them myself, so I can't really comment on that.

Partner tisar

Jun 22, 2006, 6:47 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks John! I think the ratchet should be fine. The tension belt incl. ratchet is certified for the German industry (load fixing on trucks). If it's rated 10kN, you may bet your life on triple of that and still a dollar or two on ten times...

The major worry would be if the hooks stay in the shackles by any means (though I cannot imagine how they could get out under tension). The tech cord idea was only to catch eventually flying pieces, not to hold them in place. I think with a foot of slack they should be able to stop them before they enter any body parts. But maybe you're right and I'm a little to chickenish here.

BTW, I'm a little disappointed: Here's someone who freely admits to enter a new field of experience and nobody tells him he's gonna die? This is not the rc.com I paid for! :lol:

- Daniel

squierbypetzl

Jun 22, 2006, 8:32 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW, I'm a little disappointed: Here's someone who freely admits to enter a new field of experience and nobody tells him he's gonna die? This is not the rc.com I paid for! :lol:

Yeah well, we donīt really bother with that any more. The Slacklining Forum is pretty much the Green Mile of rc.com.

Dead man walking...across a line

svilnit

Jun 22, 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah well, we donīt really bother with that any more. The Slacklining Forum is pretty much the Green Mile of rc.com.

Dead man walking...across a line

Wow am I glad that I can rate today :lol:

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 22, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When dealing with any tensioning system your better off with it as close as possible to the anchor - that strap would put a lot of weight far from the anchor if you just clip the hook to a sling. If you get it snugged up against the tree it'll be almost unnoticable.

Just a heads up so you don't come back complaining that it felt like crap on the line.

Partner tisar

Jun 22, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When dealing with any tensioning system your better off with it as close as possible to the anchor - that strap would put a lot of weight far from the anchor if you just clip the hook to a sling. If you get it snugged up against the tree it'll be almost unnoticable.

Just a heads up so you don't come back complaining that it felt like crap on the line.

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I find a way to get the ratchet closer to the tree... let's see. The damn postman left the whole package at a store next to my flat - I was seven minutes late to get it :evil: Now I'll have to wait for the weekend to break my bones...

- Daniel

Partner tisar

Jun 26, 2006, 2:47 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update:

Got the line Friday, just the sheckles were missing... time to simplify:

I slung the trees with static cord (webbing was a little short/trees too wide, but I'll substitude next time) and just directly hooked the line in there. Voilā, a slackline :D

Worked pretty well so far and it's 2 min to rig the thing. Now I just gotta find out how to stay up there... :roll:

- Daniel

urm0mandme

Jun 29, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Daniel:

i see you took my word and got into slacklining. Come on over to Prague and we can slack it up.

Cau
Ryan

Partner tisar

Jun 30, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Daniel:

i see you took my word and got into slacklining. Come on over to Prague and we can slack it up.

Cau
Ryan

Hey Ryan!

Yeah, Prague... I think I should train a little before I annoy you with my terrible performance... but I heard there's more than two trees in Prague... bars... nightclubs... czech beer... mmmh sounds goooood :D

- Daniel

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook