Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cammaniac

Jun 22, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #1 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Would you move to Butte, MT??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am interested in any info on the Butte area for living as well as climbing and fun stuff. I have the potential to move there for a job and really have no experience with the place. Doing some internet searching it looks like a old mining town, with lots of polluted areas and a superfund site. I have a friend in Bozeman which is a cool town with cool people. What is the community like in Butte?

I would appreciate some input from some locals, if possible. I am now in North GA and I'm really tired of the backwoods rednecks and complete lack of cool factor here. Prime example, I have earrings in both ears and when we moved here I would regularly get harrased and called really bad names. I was told "we don't take to kindly to your type here!" WTF. I'm only like 60 miles north of Atlanta, but it's a different world.

Anyway, like I said, any input on demographics, type of people, all around feel for the area would be much appreciated.

billl7

Jun 22, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Re: Would you move to Butte, MT?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

... simply astonishing, the amount of bigotry that continues ...

(don't know that much about Butte - I think the Seattle area would be a good fit in both areas but that is off-topic)

r_is4runout

Jun 22, 2006, 6:26 PM
Post #3 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Butte is about the same in terms of local flavor. On the other hand, it has good climbing. You can always go to Missoula on weekends as well, super cool town and great climbs in the Bitteroots!

atpeaceinbozeman

Jun 22, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #4 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They call it Montucky for a reason.

That being said, I like Butte. It's a good area with great climbing. If you're Irish and a drinker you have nothing to worry about......

Tom

pastprime

Jun 22, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #5 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't live there, but since you aren't getting other replies:
The fact that you asked for replies from a town of that size on a rock climbing site, and didn't get any, in itself probably says something.
Butte's reputation, and appearance, is that of being a dying mining town with lots of pollution, and a big open pit mine where the center of town ought to be, which is filled with water that often kills any waterfowl that make the mistake of landing in it.
Driving through, it certainly isn't filled with art galleries and coffee shops, and good places to take your Volvo for repairs are probably pretty scarce.
I do think western rednecks, in general, still have not attained heights of the craft that is to be found in Georgia; they are, I believe, clearly of the same species, but a milder version.
Just because it is in Montana, but with lower real estate prices than some of the other areas of the state, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some small underground culture beginning to be established where you would feel more at home, but that is only speculation.

cammaniac

Jun 22, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #6 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Butte is about the same in terms of local flavor.

About the same as what? Bozeman or Georgia?

I would really hate to hear that Butte has the same kind of uninformed, uneducated, meth-head rednecks that live here!

brianinslc

Jun 22, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is the community like in Butte?
I would appreciate some input from some locals, if possible. I am now in North GA and I'm really tired of the backwoods rednecks and complete lack of cool factor here. Prime example, I have earrings in both ears and when we moved here I would regularly get harrased and called really bad names. I was told "we don't take to kindly to your type here!"

Ahhh...you'll be right at home, then...be sure to stop by Piszers Palace in Walkerville for a cold one...ha ha...

Not as rough as it used to be. But, still...

Climbing is pretty good around there. Probably closer to good rock, or as much good rock, as Bozeman.

Still bummed that the M&M closed down...that place was an institution, especially on St. Patty's day. Saw some wild stuff there...

I played sports in High School in Montana. Going to Butte was always a trip. Pork Chop Johns sandwiches. And, if you beat Butte on silver B night, you could about count on your bus gettin' tipped over, or the windows shot out. Played football across from Robby Knieval (nice kid, actually). Dated his dad's bodyguard's daughter... But, that was years ago. Not sure its that rough now.

My friend Dwight (RIP) lived there. And, heck, I think he'd only been shot a couple of times, so, really, how bad could it be?

Hung out with some Butte rats in college in Bozeman. Whew, bad stuff.

It can be a tough place. About opposite of Missoula and Bozeman, perhaps, depend on what social circles you run in. There's some local Butte guys who post regularly here, so, hopefully they'll chime in with the current scene.

Butte America. As friends from there say, "there are those from Butte, and those that wish they were". We used to take bets on who'd dare go order a Coors in Butte, back in the late 70's/early 80's. 'Bout count on some action for that. Too funny. Kinda.

Ahhh...the bad ol' daze...

Hey, cheap real estate!

-Brian in SLC

brianinslc

Jun 22, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #8 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is the community like in Butte?
I would appreciate some input from some locals, if possible. I am now in North GA and I'm really tired of the backwoods rednecks and complete lack of cool factor here. Prime example, I have earrings in both ears and when we moved here I would regularly get harrased and called really bad names. I was told "we don't take to kindly to your type here!"

Ahhh...you'll be right at home, then...be sure to stop by Piszers Palace in Walkerville for a cold one...ha ha...

Not as rough as it used to be. But, still...

Climbing is pretty good around there. Probably closer to good rock, or as much good rock, as Bozeman.

Still bummed that the M&M closed down...that place was an institution, especially on St. Patty's day. Saw some wild stuff there...

I played sports in High School in Montana. Going to Butte was always a trip. Pork Chop Johns sandwiches. And, if you beat Butte on silver B night, you could about count on your bus gettin' tipped over, or the windows shot out. Played football across from Robby Knieval (nice kid, actually). Dated his dad's bodyguard's daughter... But, that was years ago. Not sure its that rough now.

My friend Dwight (RIP) lived there. And, heck, I think he'd only been shot a couple of times, so, really, how bad could it be?

Hung out with some Butte rats in college in Bozeman. Whew, bad stuff.

It can be a tough place. About opposite of Missoula and Bozeman, perhaps, depend on what social circles you run in. There's some local Butte guys who post regularly here, so, hopefully they'll chime in with the current scene.

Butte America. As friends from there say, "there are those from Butte, and those that wish they were". We used to take bets on who'd dare go order a Coors in Butte, back in the late 70's/early 80's. 'Bout count on some action for that. Too funny. Kinda.

Ahhh...the bad ol' daze...

Hey, cheap real estate!

-Brian in SLC

cammaniac

Jun 22, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #9 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This really is not sounding to good!! It would be awesome to be close to good climbing and mountians, but I'm looking to move and settle and maybe even raise a family. Sounds like Butte may not be the place to be.

Thanks for the posts and please keep em coming. I'm hoping somebody will have something good to say.

machino

Jun 22, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #10 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why are you choosing Butte specifically? Have you thought about the other cities in Montana. Hopefully this doesnt get into a Bozeman, Missoula war, but all three have their specialties. Missoula has the best Multipitch by far down in the Bitterroots, Butte has a wealth a rock around it but the lines arnt terribly long, and Bozeman has a little of both. I think if you end up in Montana and arnt shy about driving a few hours, you will like the rock wherever you are. Forget the yuppy, meth head, drunk montucky bullshit. Montana has some good rock.

cammaniac

Jun 22, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #11 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why are you choosing Butte specifically?

The job that I am looking at is in Butte. It's with a high tech R&D firm located in the downtown area. Not alot of engineering jobs in MT, so this really seemed to be a good break. I've been wanting to move out west for awhile and I'd really like to live in MT.

r_is4runout

Jun 22, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #12 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me put it this way- I lived in Missoula for several years, Montana is my favorite place in the world. Butte is an old mining town and good times can be had there for sure. I live in NJ right now and would kill for a job in Butte just to get me out of NJ. At least the people in Butte are real. If you get a job in Butte, my advice would to be to get a chunk o'land somewhere outside of town and only go into Butte for food, beer, and work. Realistically, the majority of your time will be spent out in the sticks, climbing, or driving to go climbing.

mojede

Jun 22, 2006, 9:27 PM
Post #13 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Regarding moving to Butte--I was a Livingston local since Kindergarten, developed the Paradise Valley's climbing scene, climbed most of Bozeman's quality technical routes, climbed Helena a bunch and Missoula a little and I'll try not to put any scene down--here's the skinny. My wife and two kids moved to Butte last fall because we wanted to live comfortably ($$$) in an area that provided us with as many opportunities for outdoor entertainment (family-wise) as possible.

Anywhere in Western Montana is hard to beat, but in my opinion, this is what Butte has going for it. Affordable housing (we're one income-2 kids and bought a great house/yard under $70,000). Awesome new YMCA swimcenter. Super rad 2 pool skatepark (Miz @ Boz--how's yours?). 500 square miles of little touched granite batholith (boulder field). Close to both Missoula and Bozeman to fill ones hippy,yuppy needs. A real sense of Community--move here and you will be accepted and not judged. And best of all (for me)--I have discovered 2 overhanging quality Limestone areas less than 45 minutes from Butte-untouched and ready to rock.

Most Montanans will staunchly defend their towns and their scene, but as for the real locals (from here), we know why we never left. Give me a jingle, you will not be disappointed.

The M&M is both open and rad on St. Patty's!

RIP Dwight

quietpartner

Jun 23, 2006, 5:50 AM
Post #14 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. ANYWHERE in Montana beats the crap outta New Jersey. Out here at least, the superfund sites are official, while in Jersey they crop up in anyone's back yard.
Butte is a tougher town than Boz or Mis, a buddy used to shoot out street lights for recreation on weekends.
But the realestate is a LOT cheaper, and if you don't mind living in "the armpit of Mt" you'll be okay.

fredo

Jun 24, 2006, 2:43 AM
Post #15 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="cammaniac]
I would really hate to hear that Butte has the same kind of uninformed, uneducated, meth-head rednecks that live here!
Ya know..meth is a problem throughout the inter-mountain west. That aside, I live in Missoula, but love Butte's climbing. My social time in Butte revolved around the M&M, Broadway Cafe food and Pork Chop John's. Climbing is world class. If I could get a job in Butte, and my wife wouldn't leave me, I'd move to Butte. Depends what you want, if you want a trendy downtown, Starbuck's and owning your own piece of heaven then move elsewhere, because that is not Butte. I have friends that live there and love it. My uninformed $0.02, but why not fly out, check Butte out and make a decision based on that?

As r_is4runout mentioned MT is a special place, why not take it like it is?

(Hey Josh give me a shout)

fred

shanz

Jun 24, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #16 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Butte -- hrm reminds of 93 just got out of the Navy - took a long trip from Seattle to Nashville TN trip - was total hell and the cops in Butte can kiss my ass. Cost us 500 bucks (we only had 1000 bucks to begin with)when our car got broadsided by a drunk driver yet we got charged regardless of the fact the drunk was at fault.. SPent the rest of the trip doing the salt water spray trick on vending machines for gas. Shattered our windshield but we would not be detered. Didnt have the money to get it replaced but got lucky and hook up with the biker fest in Souix Falls South Dekota and a biker and his wife hooked us up with 300 bucks for the rest of the gas.. As far as food we had to lift packages of ham and my buddy actually lifted 5 quarts of bud light for relief from the long hard road and a can of guiness that was a night not bad for an Epic non climbing trip

Granted we regrest what we had to do to get their but years later i look back and wouldnt change the experiece for anything

shanz

Jun 24, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #17 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny now that i think about it -- it was ham that fed us for the trip makes me wonder if it was the true trad climber trying to come out :lol:

watchme

Jun 24, 2006, 4:27 AM
Post #18 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent from '96-'01 living in Bozeman. While I was there, I felt that I would have never lived in Butte.

Then I moved to NY, and I am now back in northwestern Wyoming, in a very small farming town. I have since been back to Bozeman (it's about 3 hours away), and I'd live in Butte over Bozeman now. Why the change of heart? After living in this nice, quiet, unpretentious town, I see towns like Bozeman for what they are (now, not 20 years ago); expensive, pretentious, yuppie havens. Sure, the climbing is great, and so is all the good food and extras that money brings to the town, but you will be a second class citizen in that town unless you are making some serious money (I'm exaggerating, but it often felt that way).

I think that you will enjoy Butte. From another post, it looks like you can get a nice house for $70,000. That amount of $ in places like Bozeman won't even buy you a tiny condo.

The fact is, everyone is looking for the next, affordable "mountain town". My prediction is that people will begin to "spill over" from Bozeman and start living in Butte (just like they do in Victor and Driggs from Jackson or Mancos from Durango, CO). Get into Butte now, buy some property, and enjoy the outdoors. It might be a good idea to drink bottled water, though.

You should go and check it out. Just realize that places like Butte grow on you in time. (just like Powell, WY did for me).

rockinrock

Jun 27, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #19 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Bozeman for a year and from there I didn't hear a lot of good things about Butte. As has been said before it is a town in decline. Meth and alcoholism seem to be particularly big problems there. I'd prefer to live in either Bozeman or Missoula myself, but since I'm now in NJ I'd gladly be living in Butte if I could and had no other option in Montana.

norm1057

Jun 27, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #20 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At one time, I considered going to work for the fire dept and moving to Butte. However, after a few trips and some interviews in Helena, Missoula, and Great Falls, I found that I was fortunate to blow the interviews and stay in NM. The area seemed to be in quite a decline. Always had a good time in Bozeman and Missoula though.

Speaking of the South. I found alot of the same ignorance in NC and moved back to NM the first chance I could. I've found the people in general through out the West are of a much higher quality. Good luck to you.

mojede

Jun 27, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #21 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "decline" that has been spoken of about Butte is as dated as the opinions that spoke of it. This was certainly true from the late 70's through the nineties, but I would like to know why people think this is still true. Read my earlier post and tell me that our city is in decline. Housing and real estate is on the rise, namely due to Washington folk and other out of staters looking for affordable Montana towns which to live and raise a family.

The "meth" woes of Montana are hardly concentrated in Butte--listen to the ads on the radio and see that this problem is widespread and not just "in Butte". Case in point: A coin store was burglerized by folk involved in the meth trade and they were apprehended with a large amount of the substance en route to Bozeman--that's right "Bozangeles", fact. I have found nothing but welcome and acceptance in this city, despite being a deviant climber.

There are numerous great places to live in Montana, and Butte has unfairly been on the receiving end of slams and put downs--that's okay, because all of us outdoor recreationalists are just fine with people who want a trendy scene in which to sport their "colors" at the hip coffee shops staying the hell away--DO go to Missoula or Bozeman for this type of poser fluff. We'll just keep enjoying the plethora of outdoor opportunities in relative isolation and go about our business of being in a real community of people striving for a quality lifestyle in which to raise families and future generations of genuinely original outdoor adventurers.

cammaniac

Jun 27, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #22 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate all the feedback.

It seems like if you live there you like it. If your visiting you don't. That's good, I'm really looking for that "undiscovered" town where people are real and welcoming and there's not a starbucks full of wannabes on every corner. Is there at least one, though?? I do like my coffee.

It looks like the company I am interviewing with will be flying me and my wife up there in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan. I would love it if I could get a tour of the area from a fellow climber. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to climb, but I'm gonna try.

quietpartner

Jun 27, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #23 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang; mojede, sounds like you work for the chamber of commerce.

Seriously, there's some great climbing around Butte. Was there yesterday, and climbed Gillette for the first time. Cool on top.

roseraie

Jun 27, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #24 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I drove through Butte yesterday. It was kinda nice looking. Lotsa rocks.

(Sorry, that's all I can offer.)

schmidty06

Jul 10, 2006, 3:02 AM
Post #25 of 31 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Butte is, in fact, the opposite of Bozeman and Missoula. The only place that I can say that I've felt uncomfortable at all when I as in Butte was the bus station. Oh, and don't get directions from the bastards who work at the convenience stores. That was the coldest walk 6 blocks through the snow to a bar that wasn't even open and 6 blocks back I've ever taken.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook