Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Help, I'm a first timer and my BAT's are 75 feet apart!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

thevermonthills

Jun 25, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Help, I'm a first timer and my BAT's are 75 feet apart!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

BAT = big ass tree
I ended up dealing with this problem by getting a 50 ft line and long (30 ft) webbing runners. I'm using a 4 biner primitive set up and I get it pretty tight but not tight enough to get on in the middle. It seems to me that there is just too much stretch in the system. I'm thinking thast I need to get an eighty foot piece of really strong static cord and start out with a 30 ft slackline. Does this sound like a good solution? What is the minimum height I could set it at. I really want to avoid landing with one foot on either side of the line! I look forward to your replies!!

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 26, 2006, 6:30 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Re: Help, I'm a first timer and my BAT's are 75 feet apart! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Find something shorter or setup using some A-frames to shorten the span. learning is a lot easier on 20-30 foot spans, you'll get a lot more skills down faster, then you can bump up the line length.

If you need to chase down more tensioning power there are tons of ways of doing it but even then you'd be left with a really long line to start on.

thevermonthills

Jul 8, 2006, 2:44 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I solved the problem of the trees being too far apart by setting up in the front yard (much to the horror of my 16 year old daughter!), built two triangles, and can now walk about half the line. Even though I padded the top of the triangles it still seems to cause visible wear -ie the webbing gets flat and shiny. With a 4 biner primitive set up I can't get it tight enough to use without putting it higher than I want nor can i use it without the triangles. If I get a ratchet would I be able to get it tight enough to put it up 2 1/2 feet off the ground and not need to use the triangles?

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 8, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I can't tell from your question: are you looking for a different way of tensioning the line for your span that still includes your A-frames or for the full distance span only 2.5 feet up. Frankly you wouldn't want a 75 foot span only 2.5 feet up, it'd be incredibly tight and would be very difficult to walk.

Now if your still planning on using the A-frames you still didn't mention how far apart you are setting them. You should be somewhere in the range of 6 inch to 1 foot of drop for every ten feet in between the anchors. If you are in the 20 to 30 foot range which is ideal for learning just about any technique should be able to get the line tight enough.

thevermonthills

Jul 9, 2006, 7:30 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Joe, What I am really interested in is being able to set up a 20-30 ft slackline about 2 1/2 to 3 ft off the ground and not use "A" frames to keep it off the ground. I want something very portable and quick to set up and a frames do not fit that equation. Would a ratchet device or better pulley system make this more easily attainable?

This is great though. My goal was to set up something that provides a bit of cross training FUN that I can easily do at home in the evening without too much commitment of time or financial resources.

It is also great for a 52 year old to work on balance skills!!

And good to be falling down and getting bumped about a lot! Comfortable chairs, smooth rides in a car, and too much time inside will kill you quicker than anything else!

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 9, 2006, 7:41 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I try to not push someone to buy a system when they already have the gear to make their own right now it sounds like you have enough gear to make a primitive system but just need better technique at it. However if just want a commercial system rather than toying with making your own here are a few options.

Several of our slackline kits would fit the bill just fine, if your just looking for 30 foot or less spans you could get away with a complete system for something like $38 for a kit that is ratchet based such as our Intro Kit. It has some perks you won't get in a homemade line like fully adjustable slings, no knots to make and higher than usual mechanical advantage so it takes less effort and such like that.

There are also other companies that you could look into as well. For starting off any of their gear should get you started too, try and shop around, check out effective mechanical advantage, price and feedback available out there and find what you think will fit your needs and experience level the best.

The whole ratchet vs pulley debate has been discussed a lot, you can do a search here for more threads on it, but basically they are both means to an end. Both seem to work just fine for the average user. There are just major differences in how you actually set the line, the amount of rigging / gear involved and price. I sell the hardware for both types of systems, although the majority of our customers have prefered the ratchet based systems.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.05 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)
$62.55 (10% off)
$1.58 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook